Thoughts on Steering Rack CLUNK? | FerrariChat

Thoughts on Steering Rack CLUNK?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Jan 15, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey everyone,

Recently my steering wheel has become VERY hard to turn right or left. When turning right, it's very difficult up to a point, then there's a CLUNK and then I can turn the wheels right much easier. Anything I can diagnose on the steering rack?

Any thoughts on this? I've checked my tire pressures and they're totally fine.

Thanks!

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    lift the front axle from the ground and see what will happen then. same?

3. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Is it a Testarossa? With the symptoms you describe, I would get a flashlight and check the two universal joints in the steering column under the dashboard for tightness and alignment. Is the lever which allows steering column movement in good working order?

If the universal joints are unobstructed and work smoothly, the OEM TRW steering rack has a plastic bushing on the right side which ages and commonly breaks into bits. It can cause some odd noises and sensations as the rack will just be rattling around in the outer tube. Your alignment may also go off.

To check it, lift the front of the car, remove the right side wheel, turn the steering all the way to the left and remove the rubber boot on the steering rack to inspect the plastic bushing at the end. There will be a lot of lubricant that has leaked out of the rack past the broken bushing on that side. You can replace the bushing with a bronze one, but it is a pretty specialized job.

4. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey guys,

Yes, '87 USA Testarossa. Thanks for the tips.

Romano, I jacked up the front and tried turning the steering wheel and it works totally fine in both directions, left and right - no noises, no resistance, no nothing.

John - I haven't tried taking off the boot yet because I need to buy an adapter to fit my single lug wheels. However, I also noticed that I'm able to move each of the front tires back and forth with my hands at 3 and 9 o'clock positions on the tire. When I do that, I hear a clunking sound coming from what I would call underneath the master cylinder. I would originally think tie rod ends but with the sound coming from the steering rod area, I'm thinking that might be the next place to look? If that bushing is dead as you mention, would that allow the wheels to shake like that?

Thanks for your tips, as always!

5. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    No, you would typically hear it on the passenger side of the car, normally when going over a sharp bump when the wheel goes up and down.

Underneath the master cylinder is exactly where the sheering column joins the rack. Scary! There is a short splined shaft which sticks out of the rack, onto which the last length of steering column shaft fits. The rack is mounted by two brackets in a narrow hollow space which cuts across the car, from memory it is not exposed from below. If the problem is located where the steering column joins the rack (or the rack is somehow coming free from its mounts) I would get it professionally checked before you drive it again.

dinogt4guy likes this.
  6. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That's the thing - the Ferrari dealer allegedly rebuilt the rack a couple years ago! Gaaah!

Thanks for your help with this. Much appreciated! So, at this point do you think it could be one of the ujoints on the steering wheel shaft binding? I have a camera, I'll try to shimmy it up in there to see if I can detect the source of the clunk, hopefully tomorrow.

However, what are your thoughts on how both front wheels shake when I grab them at the 9 and 3 positions?

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    that sounds not bad.
    so I think you may look the way john tells

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    could it be the complete steering box is moving left and right?

take 4 more hands. so 2 hands on the left wheel, 2 hands on the right wheel and 2 hands on the sterring wheel. and one at the wheels may move the wheel and the other then feel what will happen

9. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I agree with Romano. Lift the front, have someone grab a tire at 9 and 3 and then turn the steering wheel. If there is significant movement in the steering wheel which does not result in front wheel movement (or visa versa), something is wrong. The steering box may be loose in the car (not sure how that happens), or there could be something loose in the steering column. Knowing where the free play is will tell you where the issue is.

I replaced the steering rack on my 91 and then had the original rack rebuilt and put on the shelf. It is a pretty simple device, so if there is significant play something is definitely wrong. There is a method of adjusting the preload between the pinion and the rack, but I could not imagine how it could lose tension or otherwise suddenly require internal adjustment.

10. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ok, here's the latest. When turning the steering wheel with the front jacked up, basically ZERO play before the wheels start to turn. When I was jiggling either of the front wheels back and forth at the 9 and 3 positions my boys said they can feel the 'clink' vibration in both the steering wheel and the opposite front wheel (they're 11 and 14, so take that with a grain of salt :) ).

What are your thoughts on this? Think I should take out the rack and look if it's loose where it's mounted?

11. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    No, if there is no play in the rack, it would appear solidly mounted (anything else would be abnormal in the absence of an accident). So I would focus on the steering column, using a flashlight and looking under the dashboard. Unlock the steering by switching the ignition to 1st position, then turn full lock left to right and look under the dash for anything that appears or feels odd or gives a clunk.

Is this a constant problem when driving the car at parking lot speeds?
    How far off centre does the steering wheel need to go to produce the problem? (at normal driving speeds the wheel is never turned that far)
    Do the front wheel bearings feel ok when you have the wheels in the air?

12. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the additional hints. I'll try them out this weekend. Also, I'll try to get some video of what happens when the front wheels are on the ground and I turn the steering wheel.

13. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    OK, progress! I took a bunch of videos and recordings and all that and does this passenger side outer tie rod end look bad to you? On the CLUNK it seems to move in an awkward way:

14. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    A good discovery. I assume the other side does not do that as well? If you grab that tire at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock and push back and forth with the steering locked, does the wheel rock back and forth and make that clicking noise? That could well be a bad tie rod end. Check the other one too.

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Unless it's an optical illusion, the ball and socket on the end of the tie rod seems to have a lot of play in it. There is probably an internal liner in the socket which is falling to pieces.

turbo-joe likes this.
  16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    may be the inside part of the steering is worn out. so this part where the tie rod is connected?
    remove the boot and may be you will see some?

what tie rod end you mean? this at the wheel or this at the steering? I not think it is on the wheel side but could be at the steering side.

17. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    That looks pretty clear to me to be an outer tie rod end. My passenger inner is bad and I am going to source one this winter. I am also taking this time to disassemble the rack and replace the missing plastic liner with a bronze one. I will document that later. Currently I have a carbon 3D printed piece in there but it isn't up to my standards.

If you haven't already ordered a new outer tie rod, that is where I would start. Several places state-side have them reasonably priced, easy swap.

dinogt4guy, Qavion and V4NG0 like this.
  18. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    A buddy needs one.. who do you recommend..Trutlands?