HELP! OC Ferrari damaged my car fenders | Page 4 | FerrariChat

HELP! OC Ferrari damaged my car fenders

Discussion in '348/355' started by 355Baron, Jan 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The handbook has the oem tyre sizes in it, by the looks of it they are not oem wheels ? Having said that i am not an expert on this model

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Stock wheels and 15mm spacers and oem tire size , no problem with factory chassis height.

Most of the issue is hard turns over a bump like a driveway when lowered. Factory height it's not an issue.
    Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

WATSON likes this.
  3. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    • Not OEM wheels but still 18s (BBS LMs - great wheels but not OEM)
    • OP has no clue/hasn't stated anything regarding spacers or offset of BBS wheels
    • Has non-OEM tires (Conti Ext Contact) and non-OEM sizes on both front and rear
    • OP apparently has no clue/hasn't stated what size/model tires were on before replacement but says they were Michelins
    • OP apparently has no clue/hasn't stated if other suspension components are non-OEM (i.e. if car was lowered)
    • OP claims the shop installed the wrong size tires and didn't notify him of the make and size being different then damage occurred on way home.
    I have posted the OEM sizes in contrast to what is on there now - Fronts are larger diameter / rears are smaller diameter (due to aspect ratio).

@ 355Baron - So 77ish posts - What is the update/outcome? We are all dying to know - And I am sure the Dealer is as well -

Cheers :cool:

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Probably find the springs are missing from the shocks

Shorn355 likes this.
  5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The issue is not tires its rim offset. If this is even a real post.

Shorn355 likes this.
  6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Since the OP hasn't posted wheel specs/offsets, fender rubbing could occur from a combination of aggressive offsets, spacer, or aggressive tire sizes. Essentially, whatever makes the setup protrude more than safe. Ride height matters as well.

WATSON likes this.
  7. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I have aftermarket wheels and run:

245/40 - 18 on the front....with a 10mm spacer.
    295/35 - 18 on the rear.

Continental Extreme Contact DW

I rolled the front fenders as I did manage to do an inner fender lip "pull" on a Ferrari club drive......11 years ago. Looked a lot like the OP images.

In fact after poking around in the parking lot that day several 360 cars had the same fender lip pull.

8. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    +1 ....what is the height from the ground to the top of the wheel arch on the fronts?

9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You can see the dish on the front wheel from the picture that offset is sticking the wheel way the hell out.

10. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Obviously this guy really cares about his 355 so lets not jump down his throat on this. I know he blamed the dealer but to me its clear he had a lot of anxiety and was panicking.

I think we have established that the dealer didn't do this and the good news is that this can be easily fixed. Lesson learned- don't change wheel sizes and offsets. Ferrari set it for a reason! :)

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Unless you check the fit first. ;)

12. 355Baron

355Baron Rookie

Dec 14, 2021
    LA
    Full Name:
    Allan Baronian
    Getting the car towed to Ferrari tomorrow. Keep you posted.

13. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    360 wheels on a lowered 340 - ouch! :-( Used to catch all the time especially when manoeuvring in tight spaces using full lock....like when a garage situation???!!

You need to get your wheel arches rolled if you want to keep this setup - just my opinion - but its unfair to blame the garage - its your car suspension/wheel combo which is the real problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MorNon-Professional-Fender-Reforming-Flaring/dp/B08JDVCGV2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3SW806BR68GHQ&keywords=wheel+arch+roller&qid=1643107696&sprefix=wheel+arch+roller,aps,60&sr=8-4

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Easton makes a good fender rolling tool.

nismodrifter and WATSON like this.
  15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I don't think this is a real post, smells like a troll.

16. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Live and learn, especially with oversized/aggressive fitment wheels and tires. Chalk this one up to experience.

Even when swapping the exact same sizing, if converting to a different brand tire or even different model within the same brand, the differences in tread shoulder shape/profile between options can vary quite a bit. Some are more rounded, others are more square, etc. End result is where a 255/35 for one brand may fit with no rub, the same size in another brand may obliterate your inner wheel arch lip or fender liners.

Perhaps it would have been nice if the shop recognized and alerted you to the risk of an oversize fitment and risk of tire change, but in these aftermarket cases the burden of liability lies with the owner of the modified vehicle and having the information/interest to specify exactly what you want. The shop has no idea of your vehicle modification/config history, and how close to the razor's edge of dynamic fitment you have your vehicle set up. That responsibility is on you.

17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I'm going to throw out a data point from my Nero 355.

Challenge front wheels. HE 15mm spacers. 235 front tires. Car lowered to max OE settings for the front, which isn't exactly slammed, but perhaps 1 inch (or slightly more) above tires. HE had recommended me their 11mm spacers for the front btw. I decided to rebelliously experiment with 15mm :). Everything worked fine for awhile until I bent the fender inner flange doing a turn on a big speed bump. Had it not been for that one incident, I might have been ok. They need rolling now. Now I'm going to raise the car a bit more and probably go with 11mm spacers. Tire sizes will remain 235.

I used the same setup on my Rosso 355, but the car sits higher overall. So far so good. Challenge wheels + 15mm spacers + 235 tires. I might not need to roll fenders, but I'm going to de-risk a little by going 11mm spacers. If I can get away with not having to roll the front fenders, that would be ideal.

Some negative camber (between -1 and -2 degrees) helps as well.

Why I wouldn't recommend 255's up front? 255 in. tires tend to have higher sidewall profiles. That has to do with market selection. It's also heavier and grippier. Although you want front grip, not too much where playfulness and steering response is decreased.

Mike Morrissey likes this.