458 - Help! Dropped my iPhone into the bowels of the 458 engine bay | FerrariChat

458 Help! Dropped my iPhone into the bowels of the 458 engine bay

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Jan 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I was changing my spark plugs last night and was using my iPhone's flashlight for additional lighting. It was sitting on top of the plenum and I hit it somehow, and it then slid off the plenum down the back of the engine (closest to the firewall/passenger cabin). I cannot see where the phone ended up because the spaces are so tight from the top of the engine. My hope was that it was just sitting on the undertray and so I removed the undertray and diffuser and it was not there! I have my 458 up on jack stands and got underneath with the undertrays removed and the phone was no where to be found. I tried reaching as best I could with my hands in various tight spaces but I couldn't feel it anywhere.

I have no idea where the phone could have ended up, and I am I need that phone for a variety of fairly urgent reasons. I also can't drive the car now because the heat will surely destroy the phone and/or the phone could cause an issue with the engine if it is near a belt or something. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can retrieve the phone? This is bad...

2. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    In the V of the engine? Propped up near the firewall by pulleys? I would get the brightest flashlight you have and a step stool and search from the top.

I've lost small nuts in the V of the 355 engine and small mirrors and magnets saved the day.

Also, call the phone to locate it via ring tone.

Need4Spd and Caeruleus11 like this.
  3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Use a bore scope from Harbor freight. I dropped my carb jet and found it in 10 seconds. A phone will be easier

Caeruleus11 and ryalex like this.
  4. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thanks. Unfortunately the phone battery died so calling it won't work if I call it. Last night before the battery died, it had the flashlight on for a bit and I was able to see the light coming out of the undertray, so I know its down there somewhere, I just don't know where. I can't believe it didn't come out when I removed the undertrays.

It slid down the back of the plenum closest to the firewall, I got some extremely bright work lights and nothing!

I just ordered this, maybe this will help... https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Inspection-Waterproof-Semi-Rigid-Industrial/dp/B07TV2BFVR/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2J7X2HZI42HED&dd=4PB_yCyDKCuReEn4f22ACNNGzeC2M1AGI-JCm90QnS4%2C&ddc_refnmnt=free&keywords=mechanic+video+scope&qid=1642958605&refinements=p_101%3A19346685011&rnid=19346684011&sprefix=mechanic+video+%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-2

5. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thanks, just ordered a bore scope from Amazon for same day delivery in a few hours. WIll report back.

pninja005 and absostone like this.
  6. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    After 3 hours of trying with a video boresnake, I can't find the phone. If I don't find it tonight the car will have go goto the dealer tomorrow. ugh

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    It has to be found. Is the car on a lift? Did you remove the under tray?

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    16.4 Ft? I could scope that from my family room. LOL

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Put the car on a rotisserie and turn it upside down. It'll fall right out.

Doesn't everyone have one at home?

bluesea, bball16, ryalex and 2 others like this.
  10. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I has to be laying on the inside of the undertray. The phone and undertray are probably blending together so you can’t see it clearly with the borescope.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SD455TA likes this.
  11. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Im very sad and laughing at the same time lol
    Ive dropped my fair share of things into depths of engines and its a horrible feeling

Any kids around that can put there hands in?? Normally kids are great at finding things

SD455TA likes this.
  12. TheGaucho

TheGaucho Karting

Oct 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    SergeFurRE
    Try a leaf blower pointed into the engine bay to see if that shakes the phone loose.

Caeruleus11 and Loxo like this.
  13. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I completely removed the undertray

absostone likes this.
  14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  15. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I predict you'll pull the engine but right then notice then phone has been in your bench toolbox the whole time

:D:D

Sorry - couldn't resist

Good luck

Jedi

16. Eds458

Eds458 Karting

Jan 24, 2020
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Edward Lagunte
    Did you hear it hit bottom? Like fiber glass or plastic sound? Did you try checking in the inner rear part of the side skirt? Hope you find it! Sucks if you have to bring it in.

Ed

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    just set it and forget it!

18. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Serious note: in the meantime, go onto the website of your cellular carrier and have your calls all forwarded to a different number. (preferably a phone you won't lose!) At least you won't miss something important.

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I have a,suggestion that is a bit risky. Maybe just briefly hit the starter button? Don't do it long enough to start the car, just 2 secs. Maybe that will shake it loose?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    This thread is so awesome in so many ways...

Ray

21. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It is usually your 10mm that is lost but in this case...

SVCalifornia likes this.
  22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    good light, inspection mirror on a stalk, kid with good eyes laying inside the engine bay. Hard to imagine the loss because iphones are gigantic

john Owen likes this.
  23. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
  24. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Any luck today?

Extreme1 and dustman like this.
  25. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    This is crazy. I can’t imagine having this happen and that it hasn’t happened more often at the same time considering how often people (myself included) use the phone flashlight to work on things. Good luck. Can’t wait to hear how this ends