How many titles would Senna have won? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How many titles would Senna have won?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Flavio_C, Jan 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Disgusting take.

Not surprised, however.

subirg, 375+, Jeronimo GTO and 4 others like this.
  2. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    what sticks out to me is that most of the multiple champions came so close to winning 1 or MORE championships. Prost team-mate with Lauda, Senna team-mate with Prost being three examples where the best drivers were competing with other world champions.

3. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Welcome to Fchat

4. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

FTFY

375+ and 635CSI like this.
  5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    You keep revealing your character. Good job.

Alexweav79, fil, 375+ and 5 others like this.
  6. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Thanks.

7. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Respectfully disagree about 1989 WDC,
    Prost won it against Senna, McLaren, uncle Ron and the entire Honda armada..;)
    The Suzuka episode was just the consequence of all of this..

william and furoni like this.
  8. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Uncle Ron disagrees with you :)

jpalmito likes this.
  9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    It'a very hard to know but i also think Ayrton would have won more, at least 1994, but then again, Michael was so robbed that year in order to give Damon a chance, if it was fair between Michael and Senna, i'm not sure who would have won! The rest really depends on Senna's decision about the team he was going to, could have been a hit, could have been a miss! I also believe that Prost should have won the 1990 championship, today Ayrton would have been desqualified for what he did, so Alain should have one more. Clark for sure would have won more, 2 or 3 more, he was no doubt the best and the lotus would secure him a few more titles. Of course, each driver's fate is going to alter the future, i'm convinced Gilles would have easily won the 82 championship, and would probably went on to win the 83 also.....than it depended if he stayed at Ferrari or if he moved to Williams or Mclaren....from what i read, if he left Ferrari (wich many believe after his spat with Didier), Mclaren was his most likely destiny (Ron had already tried once to get him)..can you imagine Gilles vs Prost in the 1984 car!!! Just epic! So all f.1 could have been a lot diferent, just imagine if Stirling Moss hadn't crashed, he would be racing a ferrari next year..what could have been!

Bas, 375+ and SimCity3 like this.
  10. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Imagine the difference if Moss hadn't been a true sportsman !

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/24471861/sixty-years-ago-sportsmanship-cost-stirling-moss-world-championship

Bas, furoni and trumpet77 like this.
  11. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Not sure the title of this thread makes sense. He won what he won. Then his obsession and fear of someone being faster than he was, made him stupid and he crashed, and with some bad luck, he died. Prost was better and his 4 WDCs to Senna's 3 is all the proof you need. If Lewis gets 8, then he will eclipse Michael. Etc.

william likes this.
  12. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    ^ By that logic Vettel > Senna. Yeah, I'll say no way.

13. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Without question Senna could have won more. Possibly many more. Had he been driving one of todays cars with their vastly superior safety systems, he would still be here today. That is such a shame but we need to recognise that through his death, Senna propagated a huge transformation in F1 safety which has saved many drivers both in F1 and every other formula. You could argue that this is, ironically, his greatest gift to the sport.

To me he was, and will always be, a legend.

14. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    You either don't know what happened in Imola 1994 or you are trolling.

15. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I was watching it live...remember all the comments about Senna not letting his tires warm enough after the safety car, about his car bottoming out because of that, and etc., etc.

All the post accident blame game and cover up of Senna's basic driving error do not impress me. His death was a freak circumstance of the suspension part making contact with this head. But the accident was the result of his own foolishness.

16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's fair to say that Senna didn't adapt very well to his new mount in 94. Yet, it was the same Williams that allowed Prost to win his 4th title the year before,

I don't think Senna finished any of the 3 GPs prior to Imola, and he was struggling with the car even if he took poles with it (from memory).

So, there is no certainty that he would have been very successful with that car, like winning title(s) with it.

Also Benetton and Schumacher were on the ascent. So, where would that have left Senna?

17. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Dude, the cause of the accident was a mechanical failure!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

fil likes this.
  18. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Caused by a very hard bottoming out just before the turn and the car veering off track? If the tires had been properly warmed up, the ride height would have higher, and the car would have not bottomed out, or at least not so harshly. As for the picture of the broken steering column...that looks like a rather extreme failure for just driving around. Is that part of the alibi exhibit from the "Senna is god, we must blame someone else" cover up of Senna's bad judgement? Dude.

19. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The Italian enquiry concluded that Senna's accident had been caused by the steering column failure.

Senna had requested a modification to his steering ( lengthning, I believe), and it's a faulty machining on the column that broke as he was entering Tarambulo.

He basically was left with no steering as he entered the high speed curve, and couldn't avoid leaving the track. .

Flavio_C, jpalmito and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  20. I watched also, and yes, that was their conjecture at the time. A logical assumption, as there was no way they could know about the column failure.

william - Yes, Ayrton on pole, Michael second.

william likes this.
  21. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Or did the steering column break as a result of the crash? You won't convince me that there wasn't a mad rush to find anything to blame but Senna's bad judgement. "God" never makes mistakes.

22. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    As I said, there was "conjecture" before the crash that he was pushing on cold tires. And what exact stress caused the column failure? Normal driving...or the crash? Which makes more sense?

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  24. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Geezus Christ! With all due respect, what a ton of tosh!

25. I disliked Senna, but.....
    A) Conjecture is just that.....an opinion with no evidence. I'm not accusing the announcers of anything, how could they know?
    I
    even thought it was a quite rational thought at the moment.
    Exactly how did/do you know?

B) I realized I hadn't a real clue. Thus, I accepted that I didn't, and made no assumptions thereafter.

Why didn't the inquiry find it to be Senna's fault, as according to you, it was his being "stupid"?
    What was their motive for finding the way they did? 'Guaranteed, unlike your belief about Senna's "stupidity", he had more money than the Williams team, so what was their motive for the finding? Senna wasn't Italian, the FIA's not Italian.......more money to be had for someone suing Senna's "stupid" empire or FIA than Team Williams (whatever it's legal name). :cool: