Michael Masi gets fired/replaced? | Page 31 | FerrariChat

Michael Masi gets fired/replaced?

Discussion in 'F1' started by surfwolf, Dec 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Nope.

15.3 doesn't say "over-ride the race clerk". Instead, it gives the Race Director over-riding authority over the use of the safety car ... with no mention of "in accordance with the Sporting Regulations" (a phrase that's clearly written into the other subsections of the rule) ... just as the stewards wrote in their ruling.

You're trying to read limitations into the rule that just aren't there.

Bas likes this.
  2. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    So ... a car that's been lapped 2 or 3 times in a race, and is still trailing near the end of the pack ... MUST be allowed to unlap, fully, during a late safety car period? Otherwise, the race isn't "fair"?

That makes no sense. The rules explicitly disagree with you, the stewards explicitly disagree with you, even Mercedes explicitly disagrees with you.

The Race Director is clearly given "over-riding authority" in such cases to get "the majority" of the field on the same lap, in order for "exciting racing" to result.

Bas likes this.
  3. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Even the pro-Hamilton stewards explicitly, clearly agree with you: 48.13 over-rides 48.12 (direct quote from the rejection of Mercedes' protest).

Hamilton lost, end of story. His fanbase desperately wants to blame someone ... so they continually try to read limitations into the rules that just aren't there. Even the pro-Hamilton stewards had to concede, that Masi acted within the authority given to him, explicitly, by the rules.

Bas likes this.
  4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    It is not up to the Referee to apply rules in an un-equal fashion on the assumption that some competitors won't have their end result affected.

How on earth can anyone assume it would not have made a difference. Change the order of the cars and you change the probabilities of any number of things happening. In fact a number of drivers were denied an opportunity to have their own one lap dash to the finish and the probability of a safety car causing incident from an unfettered restart could very well have changed the outcome of the championship. I could draw on a number of historical or political parallels but I'd prefer not to be banned :D

surfwolf likes this.
  5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly.

For those not willing to believe that, here is a link to the document, and for those with the attentionspan of an ADD riddled 9 year old, I've underlined it for you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/decision-document/2021%20Abu%20Dhabi%20Grand%20Prix%20-%20Decision%20-%20Mercedes%20Protest%20Art.%2048.12.pdf

werewolf likes this.
  6. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Yet another question that I'm sure will go un-answered:

It's late in a race, and a safety car is called out. There's a car that's been lapped 3 times, and is currently trailing near the end of the pack. Does the Race Director have "over-riding authority" to choose NOT to unlap that car, fully, before racing resumes?

The rules are clear, the interpretation of those rules by the stewards is clear, even the opinion of Mercedes (Shovlin) is crystal clear ... just curious what the fanboys think?

Bas likes this.
  7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    For those poor souls that lost the opportunity to be P10 in this race, I'm sure they value the effort from a now ex F1 world champion fan group that they spend the last 5 weeks screaming daily that Masi should be removed.

EDIT:

On a more serious note, I honestly can't remember which race it was, could've been any from 2017-2021, but there was a race where the Safety Car was IN much quicker than anticipated, presumbly because cars where unlapping themselves as well, and it surprised the commentators as well.

Alas, since no positions up front where changed, no one gave a **** then and nothing was made of it.

werewolf likes this.
  8. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Why do you all keep posting the same thing? We know Masi had authoruty to break the rules. He did.

surfwolf and william like this.
  9. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    I see you avoided the question (post #756, this time).

When will you answer my question from post #611? You always demand that your questions get answered immediately :rolleyes: i've been waiting for days.

Bas likes this.
  10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Have you looked at any of your posts since Abu Dhabi (or any of them before it, for that matter)? If Masi had the authority to override the rules, then it's not breaking, is it? Specifically written he is allowed to do that. It would only be illegal if the FIA had amended the documents post race to give him this authority. This authority existed before the race, thus it's valid.

werewolf likes this.
  11. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #761 werewolf, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    Silly boy! There's no place for logic and reason in this ... ahem ... "debate"!!

(still waiting for an answer to the question raised in post #611 from the Hamilton cult ...)

Bas likes this.
  12. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Alter the rule. Break the rule. Override the rule. Use any word. You get the same result. Masi used all three.

surfwolf and william like this.
  13. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Never going to answer the question from post #611? How about #728? Maybe #756?

It's ok, we know why you keep avoiding questions.

Bas likes this.
  14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Probably no answer because the question is not relevant to what is discussed here.

It's farcical to bring the army as an analogy is what is a sporting matter.

surfwolf likes this.
  15. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    LMAO

Yeah ... there's no "chain of command" or "hierarchy of rules" in sports !!! :D

(honestly, you would have done better to just keep avoiding the question)

Bas likes this.
  16. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    1.I don't know.
    2. Maybe. Maybe not. It doesn't matter. We are discussing F1 rules.

17. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Not too familiar with the the concept of "analogy" i see :(

Anyway ... you did give answers: "I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not."

I'll keep those in mind ;)

18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #768 william, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022

You must have a vested interest in this, defending Masi tooth and nail like you do.

You are trying too hard, and your bias is showing !!

Bye, bye ....

surfwolf and ktu like this.
  19. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    F1 rules are like taxes. At one point in time, it was okay to find the loophole.....until that loophole gets "amended" or changed. It's all legal.

william likes this.
  20. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Here's the thing, when will you actually stop, trying to convince,prove,refute, you name it, that there was no problem in the way Masi conducted his officiating duties throughout the season, and in particular the last race title decider.
    31 pages in and you are still repeating the same old stuff, and I hate to tell you, it ain't working, otherwise it wouldn't be as long, plus all the other threads on the same subject, and that's because the vast majority of F1 fans and that includes neutral fans of either of the 2 driver's Lewis and Max, who couldn't be bothered who won, know the last race turned into a complete FARCE end off.

surfwolf, william and ktu like this.
  21. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    No pro-Hamilton bias from you!! :rolleyes:

Seems like YOU keep posting in this thread ... what's YOUR "vested interest" ???

Or, is that really not you ... continuing to post? Who did I just respond to, if not YOU?

Bas likes this.
  22. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    surfwolf likes this.
  23. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Why do YOU keep posting, if not to repeat the same old nonsense about the race being unfair, the race being a farce, etc etc? Same old, same old ...

ALL these pages, and we keep hearing the same old nonsense ... Masi broke the rules, the result was unfair, yada yada yada ... page after page after page.

The Hamilton crowd has become SO delusional ... SO blind to their own bias ... they think that the people defending the rules are the only ones continuing to post in this thread :rolleyes:

Bas likes this.
  24. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I don’t know …
    For me it’s in this order.
    1-fia messed up
    2-mercedes lost
    3-max won
    4-lewis finished 2nd

Lewis deserves no negative with that race result if I’m honest.

Can’t wait for thé new season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surfwolf likes this.
  25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What's your vested interest then, I wonder?

werewolf likes this.