Ferrari Only Concours d’Elagance - The Future | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Only Concours d’Elagance - The Future

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by Rossocorsa1, Jan 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Excellent points

HotShoe and Texas Forever like this.
  2. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    It switched because Ferrari SpA commanded it to switch. Ferrari created the logo for FCA just as it did for every other national Club; take a look at the U S Club's logo and that of the "Ferrari Owners Club of Great Britain" and of the "Club Ferrari France". Yellow center with the Black cavallino rampante surrounded by a stylized national flag. Luca di Montezemolo is the one who made - and enforced - those decisions

3. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    #103 audi_328, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I've been on-again/off-again in the FCA since 1990 or so, and the switch happened during an off time for me. It makes thematic sense I suppose, and not that it really matters, but I'm glad to have an original-style sticker on mine.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Seth,

Right on! The first logo was approved by a guy named Enzo and the club has a copy of that approval somewhere.

Best regards,

Robert

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You said it far better than I. But keep in mind trying to start something new will require a heavy, heavy lift. Maybe it is better to just go to the bar and remember when.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  7. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Meh,

That replica has been on the lawn there before. I was there and have pics of it. I’ll try to dig them up tonight.

It’s a pretty gorgeous car regardless.

werewolf, jm2 and rob lay like this.
  8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Amelia Island Concours has never used the well established IAC/PFA Judging System.

Marcel Massini

9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    In an interview, Bill Warner was emphatic about a Concours using a 'points' system vs 'French Rules'.
    I know this flys in the face of the Ferrari judging process, but Bill was adamant.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I didn't know that. Thanks.

11. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Jack-the-lad, Nembo1777 and jm2 like this.
  12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ha, another candidate for post of the day. :D

13. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    LMFAO

14. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    There have been known replicas show at Amelia for years. A complete replica of a Maserati 450S using #4505 was shown there as well.

Nembo1777, HotShoe and rob lay like this.
  15. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Of course. And rat rods, hot rods, race cars, drag car, show cars, all manners of excellent cars.

I love Amelia. IMHO it's better than Pebble Beach.

jm2 likes this.
  16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    And it's that diversity that makes that show so special.

HotShoe likes this.
  17. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    But were they presented and written about as the real thing or acknowledged as recreations?

18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I suggest The Caballino Classic.

killer58 and Texas Forever like this.
  19. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Pretty gorgeous car, on the outside, but not underneath, especially the unsound and extremely poor way the 3-litre engine is mounted, that compromises the rigidity of the chassis.

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Back to the point of this thread. If anyone wants to do this, best advice is to bring money, lots of it.

HotShoe likes this.
  21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yep, we spent over $250k for our 3-4 day Miami event. if you are a group or event amazing the 200-300% price inflation. adds up fast hotel room block, breakfast, lunch, dinner, event space, awards/swag, DJ's, insurance, media & marketing. You don't have to do a 4-5 star event like we did, but anything that is a "booking" $$$$$$. my advice would be just show up this address at this time BYOF and BYOB.

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The economics of many things have changed. I remember discussing this with Gerald Rouse, who was stunned at the advertising rates Rob was getting for FerrariChat, and this was in 2005. Bottom line is you will need corporate sponsorships, and you will only get corporate sponsorships if they realize a ROI for their money. I can only imagine how much the Breakers charges, and that just one expense.

I dunno. Maybe it can be done organically. A few of you get together and start the ball rolling. If the planets align it might work. But it will be a lot of work, and still require a lot of money.

Good luck.

23. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    I didn’t want to be the one to throw cold water on the enthusiasm. Having done large scale events at Pocono and Daytona for over 20 years, the enthusiastic dream will eventually meet the harsh reality. It’s not pretty, the question to ask is how much money are you prepared to lose, especially in the early years? Remember, unlike FCA you won’t have a club treasury to cover the losses for mistakes, inclement weather, deposits, guarantees for hotels, meals etc.

You want to do a Concorso at say a hotel golf course or country club? Be aware that the Golf Pro doesn’t want you there, and is going to do everything they can behind the scenes to undermine your event so you never sully HIS Golf Course again.

The list of issues at events of this scale are long, add to that the business model for multi day events has changed. The vast majority of today’s owners get their car fix doing a Cars and Coffee for 2 hours where they don’t have to commit to attending and if there is a cloud in sky within 100 mile radius that might contain 1 drop of rain fuhgddaboudit, they aren’t showing.

Want to do a track event, triple your budget.

Still want to do it? 1st take a picture of yourself with hair, then paint a big target on your back and prepare for getting hit in full auto mode.

24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well said. On a similar vein, I've had clients ask me about buying a Ferrari dealership. I always respond with why ruin a great hobby. Just make money and buy whatever car you want.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  25. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Been down the dealership road too. What many don’t understand is there are plenty of people with enough money to meet all the financial requirements for a dealership that will never get approved.

87testa and Texas Forever like this.