Bronco Raptor, Yes A Bronco Raptor | FerrariChat

Bronco Raptor, Yes A Bronco Raptor

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by msdesignltd, Mar 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes!

...Aww. V6 :(

2. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    That is a good looking truck. The only problem is that we are all expecting something like that modern/retro truck as the new Bronco. It looks 1000 times better than the Everest.

3. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    LI2782 likes this.
  4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Nativetroy and BJK like this.
  5. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    No Grunt in exhaust sound

NeuroBeaker and LI2782 like this.
  6. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm sorry, but the sound is your takeaway from that vid?! It's an EcoBoost TT V6. Far lighter than a V8 that could make the same HP and torque.

In any case, they will be unobtainium for the foreseeable future, but I will get one when I can.

BJK likes this.
  7. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  8. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  9. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I just mentioned on another forum that I was disappointed. I was really excited about it, but after seeing it's debut commercial, I'm kind of left wanting. I also feel that the fender flares cheapen the look. I'm not sure how it could be improved, but they seem flimsy. The most exciting part to me is the engine, even though it's not a V8; just the fact that it will be a faster vehicle. If I got get the Raptor engine on an Outer Banks version, I think I'd be happy with that. It is pretty cool, but I don't have that urge to "have it now" or pay extra and wait like I have some other new release vehicles that have come out. It's a resounding "meh" to me.

10. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    This is so typical. So many off road truck guys can't wrap their heads around the fact that the EcoBoost is better than a V8 because it's so much lighter. You know who is getting a clue? Buyers of the RAM TRX who had a second generation F-150 Raptor previously. Very easy to bash the nose down in a TRX over a series of whoops. I had so many forehead slapping moments at the Ford Raptor Forum I stopped going there. Many of those guys didn't even know a SuperCab Raptor is a different truck than the SuperCrew Raptor, with softer springs, different shocks, and better off road performance. It would be like a Ferrari guy who didn't know that a Challenge Stradale is a different car than a 360.

I do love the exhaust tuning feature! The gen two F-150 Raptor sounds weird and anemic because the exhaust is very far from equal length. They fixed that in the third gen, but I have zero interest in a SuperCrew Raptor, so no third generation for me. MUCH rather have this Bronco Raptor. Top of the line with everything like my 2020 SuperCab. And 5,500 pounds of towing is just 500 pounds less than my SuperCab. Still enough to tow my 360 and Futura trailer.

Oh, and a lot of Raptor bodywork, like the fender flairs, is designed to be "inexpensive" to replace when they are inevitably destroyed. The front of my Raptor below the grill is one piece that looks like three or four. It only cost me $1,700 to replace it when I ****** mine up. The wheel well surrounds are too expensive, though, which is why they took a different approach with the flairs on the Bronco Raptor.

This is an amazing vehicle, but I'm in no hurry to get one. My SuperCab doesn't even have 10K miles on it yet! :D

Scotty and vraa like this.
  11. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I'm on the fence about ordering a 392 Wrangler. This certainly competes. Haven't seen an RTI (ramp travel index) so uncertain how well this will flex in the rocks. But lots of good bits--Dana 50 in the rear, increased suspension travel (and a sophisticated suspension), 37's, beefed up steering components, etc. I have questions beyond those detailed in the few press releases I've read (how extensive are the skid plates really--the Wrangler Rubicon ones kinda suck, how upgraded are the brakes--a weak and often overlooked point, how easily does a winch mount on the bumper, etc.). But it is compelling--and while the flares (to me) are ugly, I do hope they have the "easy to remove" feature as on the standard Bronco. The increased width is a bit of an issue, and will matter in some off road situations.

G. Pepper likes this.
  12. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It's the same width as the F-150 Raptor, which is a genuine problem for me sometimes. But it's shorter and lighter! :)

Scotty and vraa like this.
  13. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Yep. To me (and maybe to nobody else) the Wrangler has a couple of advantages: the solid front axle, while bad on road and high speed off road, can articulate more and is somewhat easier to lift, the sight lines are better, aftermarket support is far more developed, and then there's "the devil you know". Having said all of that, the Bronco has a huge number of compelling and innovative features, and the Bronco Raptor may also beat the Wrangler 392 on price but not an insignificant amount. Also, I can imagine (but haven't seen numbers) that the 3.0l Ecoboost could return better milage than the 392. That matters in terms of long trips far off the grid.

G. Pepper likes this.
  14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    JAM1, ForzaV12 and G. Pepper like this.
  15. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I'm getting tired of all these special editions that you can't actually buy. Raptors, Blackwings, Z06s. I feel like they are all trying to be Ferrari these days with limited eidtions that you need to reserve years in advance for.

16. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #20 msdesignltd, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022

The eco boost was a disappointment when it arrived in the raptor and GT..
    The 5.0 coyote v8 would have nailed the coffin shut on Jeep..
    Sound is Fury..Fury is power...good sounding power is what we want!

Thecadster likes this.
  17. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    You are far from alone in recognizing the advantages of the solid axle for things Jeeps do better than Raptors. I think that's a legit divide; the slow and steady technical off road enthusiasts versus the desert racer wannabes. :)

And my 5,500 pound truck, which has the aerodynamics of a cinderblock, gets close to 18 MPG on the highway with the 3.5L EcoBoost. I'd say it's a sure thing that the Bronco will do significantly better with the 3.0, a smaller front, and less weight. Plus, a Raptor rides like a Lincoln on the highway. Super smooth and comfy. :D

Scotty likes this.
  18. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ask and ye shall recieve!

19. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

True, I'm definitely not the target market for this one. I'm more about design and driving performance. Less worried about extreme off-roading. Same reason I ordered the TRX. Do it all sports truck that looks good. There are more options for my specific flavor in the SUV world than the truck world.

20. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've slapped my forehead enough over this. You couldn't give me a NA V8 Raptor (Well, you could, but I'd just sell it to some sucker who thinks V8's are magical, and get a higher performance variant... with an EcoBoost). The first generation SuperCab was a NA V8. My second gen SuperCab with the Eco Boost will literally leave it for double indemnity dead. As in, I will pull ahead at the start, increase my lead every second, and never look back.

But you go for your big sound if you want. I'm just interested in off road performance potential. I don't care how it sounds, really. I'm content with beating V8 Raptors like redheaded stepchildren. :D

Boomhauer, msdesignltd and Scotty like this.
  21. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    First, I'll see your Raptor's aerodynamics, and raise you a highly lifted Wrangler...

I totally agree with you on the engine but I am also a lover of a good sounding engine (doesn't necessarily have to be a V8). It's too bad that the Ford turbo V6's don't sound more engaging. I'd still take performance (power, weight, etc) considerations over sounds but ideally would get both.

G. Pepper likes this.