Learning, Using and Documenting the Use of an SD2 on a 355 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Learning, Using and Documenting the Use of an SD2 on a 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dave rocks, Jun 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #76 Dave rocks, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    My local friend Bruce and member here (GTS Bruce) sent me an email that he changed tires on his 575M and the pressure requirements are lower than the prior brand and asked if I could turn off or change the settings for the TPMS.

As I knew nothing of this, I called my friend Matt Burns and he told me the SD2 has a different tire selection menu for the 575. Made the change from Pirelli to Michelin, reset the error faults and all good :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    So a few weeks back, apparently Tim (SoCal) gave my name up on Facebook to a 355 owner not too far from me (1.5 hours) who is having issues with his F1. Thanks buddy :D

Given I seem to be one of very few people on the west side of NY (maybe the only one) with an SD2 the owner wanted to get some help. I'm a sucker for learning and helping people so I decided to take a ride out to his house and see what I could figure out.

The car is a driver, has 360 pump conversion and was kicking into N and would not always go thru the gears with engine off.

I tried to connect the SD to the F1 TCU and it wouldn't communicate. So, I brought the TCU home, installed it in my car and still no communication. I can communicate with mind perfectly.

So, I gave Rod Drew a call and shipped the TCU to him. Rod also cannot communicate with it and installed it into his test car. Issues when shifting so on the surface it seems the problems may be the TCU.

Rod is going to try and repair the communication circuit first to see if we can get inside to see the values.

Rod is working on reproduction unit so that is refreshing for F1 owners.

ernie, MAD828, SoCal1 and 1 other person like this.
  3. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    F1 TCU is a biggy, if a replacement comes available I'll get another 355 this time an F1

Dave rocks likes this.
  4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Apparently Rod is pretty close.

SoCal1 likes this.
  5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    The ball really was dropped on the F1 TCU. I know a couple F1's sitting in garages for a few years now with dead units, Owners are just waiting for a fix driving their Bentlys meanwhile so no rush with them. :)

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yep, I know a guy who's car has been sitting a couple of years due to a CEL related to the F1 system, or so I've been told. The car drives fine but he can't renew registration it in CT because it won't pass emission if the CEL is on for any reason, emissions related or not. Glad I have a 3 pedal. One less thing to :( worry about. :)

7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'd love to know the code(s), John as I've never heard of any such thing :)

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #83 johnk..., Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Dave, I don't know what the code is or even if there is a code. It's been at a dealer (or qualified indy) and they can't even figure it out. The owner doesn't come to our C&C much anymore but if I see him I'll ask. Maybe I can PM him.

Edit: Oops, my memory is fading. Must be the heart drugs. :) The problem is with the alarm system, not the F1. I don't have one of those either. :)

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    So, Rod Drew has now been successful at reproducing F1 TCU's These are NLA from Ferrari and very hard to come by on the used market.

Anyone in need, please contact Rod:

http://ferrarioc.com/

WATSON and Qavion like this.
  10. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Very good news. Thanks for sharing.

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Lot of good reading herefor thise if use using sd and even leonardo

12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    We need Dave back

Suffyk likes this.
  13. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    He’s out there, he has joined a few of the Facebook groups I’m in and activity shares.

14. raffaele de benedictis

Mar 29, 2020
    Canada
    Hi Dave, for the Ferrari 360, there are 2 ECUs. They are located in the engine basin, behind the metal shields on both sides.
    Also, I have a Launch X-431 V. It is bi-directional and can do many things. One thing I know for sure it does not cover is the suspension module. You are right, it cannot be accessed through the OBDII port and needs special connectors that the SD2 scanner has. Do you know if there is anything inexpensive on the market that may cover the suspension module for the 360 other than the SD2?
    Thanks!

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #90 Qavion, Jan 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    Probably best to ask on the 360 forum. Dave is "out there", but he can't reply.

Unlike the F355, the 360 suspension module is wired up to the OBD2 port, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's accessible.

(EDIT)

The Leonardo tool can, but it's not exactly cheap

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148241588/

WATSON likes this.
  16. raffaele de benedictis

Mar 29, 2020
    Canada
    Thank you Quavion!

Qavion likes this.