456 Water Pump Seal Installation | Page 2 | FerrariChat

456 Water Pump Seal Installation

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by scowman, Mar 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Great thread, needs to be a sticky in the relevant car section.

Conversely, how easy does the bearing press off said seal when dismantling the pump in the first place? and also does the seal itself come out without much force?

If possible can anyone read off the number on the black seal at the front of the bearing where the pulley attaches, as my bearing itself is fine but that particular seal is allowing dirt into it, and its not a listed component with Ferrari, you have to buy the complete assembly, and I cannot make out the numbers on mine.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Better for mitchel to add his picture blow by blow into the original thread on the 550 section
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/550-waterpump-rebuild.274613/

A bearing rebuilder like spherics in gardena california can open repack and reseal your old bearing and rebuild it if necessary. But the cost might not be worth it because these bearings are easily available. When things go bad on them just replace them. You will violate the ceramic seal when you remove the bearing so if you remove the pump just rebuild the whole thing. It makes no sense to seal up the black outter seal only to have the inner fail next.

3. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I am in the UK and not aware of any experienced guys over here with these pumps unfortunately. The pump is watertight but grease is coming out of the bearing at the front, so in a pre emptive strike whilst its off the engine I thought I would replace just that part. Its bound to be a common seal if I can work out the number on it.

4. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I don't recommend that as it's a really confusing thread with all sorts of stuff that is interesting but not relevant. I think Yelcab's step by step should be it's own thread.

5. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    To get the bearing out I froze it overnight then heated it in a toaster oven for 15 mins. Hit it with a ball peen hammer and it fell right out. Seal comes out with a deep wall socket the other direction. Very easy. Bearing and shaft are one piece. Quiet expensive.

PAUL500 likes this.
  6. MKnightMD

MKnightMD Rookie

Mar 30, 2008
    Irvine, Cali
    Full Name:
    Mark Knight
    Wade,
    Thanks for the warning. I am looking to pull the water pump on the next major and rebuild. Now I think I might send to you for this seal issue. I buggered the seal on my crank last time I rogered it in and now it leaks like ...

7. MKnightMD

MKnightMD Rookie

Mar 30, 2008
    Irvine, Cali
    Full Name:
    Mark Knight
    Hello Wade,
    Getting ready for the major and wanted to do a pump rebuild. Can you pm me specs for the tool or would you be willing to press it in for me if I come to Austin?
    Thanks,
    MK

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
  9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
  10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

They were (past tense, I believe) made by Sarasota Italian Garage. We no longer have these in our catalog.

11. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I am happy to install them for you. I am in the Atlanta area, just ship it.
    Text me @ 770 845 8335.