Alfieri magazine, the independent publication for and by Maserati enthusiasts | FerrariChat

Alfieri magazine, the independent publication for and by Maserati enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by P.Cappelle, Dec 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P.Cappelle

P.Cappelle Rookie

Mar 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Pedro Cappelle
    This independent magazine for and by Maserati enthusiasts delves into the glorious past and discovers the brand's exciting future, focusing on photography, design, lifestyle, and architecture. Here is what was featured in 2021.

In the third issue, published in December 2021:
    • Tribute to Edgardo Michelotti
    • Classic Car Auctions
    • Gran Turismo 2021
    • Testing the Maserati Levante Hybrid
    • Maserati's final victory in the World Sportscar Championship
    • Boyle Racing Headquarters
    • Nino Vaccarella
    • Fuoriserie & Project Rekall
    • Britt Ekland and her yellow Maserati Ghibli
    • Uncovering similarities between the MC20 and the Bora
    • Tecno Nanni Galli V8 Ecoracing
    • 2021 Maserati Famiglia Tridente

In the second issue, published in September 2021:
    • Maserati Classiche makes moves
    • Birthday Bora. Maserati’s first mid-engined GT turns 50.
    • Shedding light on the MC20
    • Travel in style
    • Gangsters & bloodshed
    • Sculturia Cars: modern-day craftsmen
    • Swedes running into Omar Orsi
    • Berlindy: aesthetics and architecture
    • Also a Maserati: Bertone Panther
    • 2021 MaseratiDay, Frankfurt

In the first issue, published in February 2021:
    • Fangio, Fantuzzi & Maserati: the history of one very special 300S
    • Kyalamities. An infatuation for a future classic
    • Maserati in miniature
    • Carchitecture
    • The Nettuno engine: a masterpiece of engineering
    • Maserati Famiglia days 2020

Alfieri magazine is published 3 times per year and results from a cooperative association of Maserati enthusiasts. It contains in-depth features and gives new insights into the Maserati realm. It is printed on high-quality paper with a soft-touch laminate cover. Order the first three editions of 2021 here.
    And subscribe to receive Alfieri 4, 5 and 6 in 2022. Or email [email protected] with your questions or feedback.

johnei, Ferraripilot, Oishi and 3 others like this.
  2. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    ..as a testament to how difficult it is to edit and proofread all the text and information in a high-quality magazine, on page 22 in the 3rd Issue of 'ALFIERI' December 2021, there is a technical error about the Bora: "When the hydraulics fail on that car, steering and braking are lost."

Correction: Only braking is lost on the Bora without hydraulic pressure.

(NOTE: The error is also a reflection of the complexity of Maserati's use of the Citroen LHM system. Each application in the Bora, Khamsin, Merak and Indy is a uniquely engineered system. The Khamsin's power steering relies on hydraulic pressure, but you still don't "lose" steering when pressure is lost. It reverts to mechanical steering.)

Cheers,
    - Art

P.Cappelle, boralogist and Nembo1777 like this.
  3. P.Cappelle

P.Cappelle Rookie

Mar 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Pedro Cappelle

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to see you mention "a high-quality magazine" in your remarks.
    And you are right. Steering is not lost. The Bora's power steering is not driven via the hydraulic system.
    However, the Khamsin inherits the DIRAVI from the SM and therefore has a hydraulic (speed-dependent) power steering. If the pressure drops in this system, it still has a mechanical "support".

Suppose you feel like sending in a technical article for Alfieri, e.g. on the many LHM applications in these models; you can reach us at [email protected].

71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    On the Khamsin in the abnormal event of a hydraulic pressure drop it is first felt in the steering which will become harder than usual at any given speed. the brakes have priority and the system has enough reserve pressure to allow to brake from top speed to a full stop, as confirmed to me by the factory during my book research. So the steering and even less so the brakes are never lost, it is the assistance that diminishes in the eventual case of a pressure drop.

But the topic here is the magazine, I enjoyed reading it, good job, very well executed:)

Just one detail not to be pedantic but because I love that film having seen it dozens of times to admire the curves of Romy Schneider, Jane Birkin and the Ghibli. In the film it is Maurice Ronet who brags to Alain Delon about Ronet's Ghibli, not the contrary.

FYI that Ghibli which was destroyed and no longer exists was owned by Mr Guy Real del Sarte, whose first nephew raced with me in the French karting championship 1984-86 and whose other nephew raced with me in the UK in single seaters 1987-1989, small world.

It would be good if the magazine -while remaining vastly focused on Maseratis, we don't need another lifestyle waste of paper- tackled gastronomy and or other aspects of Italian art of living as not everyone is interested in architecture.

Great road itineraries would also be a welcome addition; for example Modena to Portofino as I did in June 2017 through the Appennine mountains with a lady friend; an epic day though it was only in an Alfa Giulietta not a Trident.

boralogist and P.Cappelle like this.
  5. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    That may be a good advanced warning signal of hydraulic issue, in case of no warning light...

71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #6 staatsof, Jan 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    The Bora also gives plenty of warning about a system pressure failure if you're paying attention when you start the car. The only exception to this is if a hydraulic hose or brake line fails then it's just like any other car. There is a flow limited device on USA Boras, though mine did not have one, that keeps you from pumping all the fluid out a break in the front circuit. I don't have access to my brake circuit diagram so I'm a bit sketchy on this. I think they are #33 & # 34 on this page https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/maserati/bora-usa-variants/suspension-steering/steering-and-bracket-piping-29682.

As a consequence of not having these limiting valves when I bleed my calipers the fluid comes out really fast. These are supposed to limit that so that you at least retain front or rear braking.

I should probably mention a well know, at least 30 years ago it was, potential failure point for brake lines on the Bora. There is an MIE tech tip for this. The vinyl tubing utilized to isolate the steel brake line from the attachment points which consist of two folded metal strips can fail due to extreme heat from the headers on the right side of the engine subframe just where it becomes level at the front. It becomes acidic and early corrosion failure occurs. Several USA cars had those lines just fall apart when inspected. I think the air pump which elevates header temperatures probably has a lot to do with this. My car was 10 years old with about 4,500 miles on it when I noticed this. My car was also a pretty effective blast furnace at that time in the engine compartment as I have the very worst of the emissions systems fitted to these cars. But it was also found on 73 USA cars.

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Poor Alfieri magazine thread hijacked by nut and bolt talk, there is enough of that in other threads so let's respect this one's space, again I have all three issues and it is a worthy effort which I recommend.

8. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Give it a rest Mark. Helpful discussions like this break quite organically from time to time and it's not like you didn't contribute as well.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  9. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    I'm enjoying my subscription. Small mistakes aside. I know it is hard to catch them sometimes. Looking forward to the next issue.

staatsof likes this.
  10. P.Cappelle

P.Cappelle Rookie

Mar 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Pedro Cappelle
    Here is what you'll find in the fourth issue, published in May 2022:

• Giovanni Soldini and his journey
    • Why Maserati really quit racing
    • A tribute to dad
    • Maserati Grecale
    • Youngtimer Maseratis and the struggle for parts and maintenance
    • Doug Magnon Award
    • L'Officina, revisiting a Master
    • Forefathers of Folgore
    • Ode to Carlo Maserati

Subscriptions are available via www.alfierimagazine.com

johnei and 3500 GT like this.
  11. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Almost finished reading my copy of this issue. It has a good mix of content and it shows the variety of people that like the marque. Keep up the good work.

P.Cappelle and Nembo1777 like this.
  12. P.Cappelle

P.Cappelle Rookie

Mar 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Pedro Cappelle
    Much appreciated! Thank you for your support.