Scuderia F1 Transmission Issue | FerrariChat

Scuderia F1 Transmission Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gw32, Jan 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I’m having a problem with my 2008 430 Scuderia (20,000 miles). About 20 minutes into a Sunday morning drive I got a message on the dash “ F1 Gearbox Failure”. I pulled over stopped the car and had it towed to the dealership service department. While waiting for the tow I tried to drive the car, but it would not shift gears.

After several weeks they informed me that the problem was a bad potensionometer (sp?). I’m told this is a device that controls shifting gears. They identified the problem by putting one from another customers’ car on my car. They said everything worked fine then. So, they ordered the part ($3,400) and installed it. After a couple more weeks they called yesterday to say that they are now getting error messages from the FI ECU and need to order that part ($3,600) from Italy. I explained how this didn’t make sense and how I was concerned they really didn’t know what was wrong and were just having me replace parts in an effort to find the problem. I told them not to order the ECU yet as I wanted to do my own investigation.

I have had other warning lights and computer gremlins, but they resolve themselves. I do use the battery tender. Anyone heard of this problem? Should I trust the dealer or take it somewhere else? Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

2. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    What code(s) did they pull from the TCU when they started doing their investigation? What's it showing now?
    The F1 system, as you've now seen, is not a cheap one to be throwing random parts at.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    $3400 bucks for shift pots?? Holy smokes. I would suggest you remove the car from where you have it and get it to somebody who knows what they are doing. That is atrocious.

brogenville likes this.
  4. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Its at a Ferrari dealership service department. I'll ask around and try to find someone else.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    F1 Ferraris are old cars now and many dealerships do not have an F1 expert on their staff since everything for the last 10 years has DCT. Look in the NoCal section and you can probably find one.

6. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This is the exact reason smg got a bad wrap and still does
    Idiot dealerships which pretend they can diagnose

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The last time I tried to order a single pot for a 360F1, it was $1400 so if they replace two of them, it could be $2800 plus 10% tax, for $3100. $3400 is a little high but ... this is Ferrari. You pay to drive them.

gw32 and f355spider like this.
  8. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Jesse Westlake of San Francisco Motorsports in San Rafael has written some excellent tech articles for FORZA magazine.

gw32 likes this.
  9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    360 uses a different sensors and actuator. The F430 sensors come as a pair. The F430 sensors are about $900 bucks or 345 UK pounds from euro spares. 248095 is the part number. It about 4-6 hours labor to replace depending on how easy the exhaust decides to come apart.

I would have them double check that they installed the sensors correctly. The first time i installed them I damaged the sensors by not "clocking" them correctly during install. I ripped the arm right off of one during the self learn. This may have happened to your car. I would have them double check their work.

brogenville and Qavion like this.
  10. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    I 100% agree with the above posts. Jesse at San Francisco Motorsports is top notch and I be will be able to help you here.

IMO, San Francisco Motorsports is currently the best indi shop in the Bay Area for this gen car and older. It’s the only shop I take my older Ferraris to.

Good luck!

Ruben

gw32 likes this.
  11. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Having worked on several F1 issues lately as these cars get older, I agree that you need to find someone who knows how they work. It sounds like it has taken them a very long time to come up with anything. I am not familiar with California shops but the above suggestions sound like the way to go.
    I found over the year that understanding what is going on in any system is a must to finding the part that is not doing its job. If you don't understand the symptoms, you can not diagnose the system.

ditpixs and BD-Chrono like this.
  12. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    It’s also worth noting that whilst there are a bunch of pretty well documented issues with the F1 systems, failing gearbox control units is not one I’ve ever come across before. I would argue that it’s probably the most reliable part of the system. That’s based on the dozens of threads I’ve read with people who’s experienced similar issues. Not saying it’s impossible, but it would be at the bottom of my list of possible issues

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The shift potentiometers are considered a wear item. I have replaced dozens of them. I'm actually surprised they last as long as they do considering where they are located and the job they have to do. Other then that..and the odd accumulator..the system as you say is very reliable.

ditpixs likes this.
  14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The V12s have a much milder environment for the F1 system back in the rear and do not seem to have as many problems.

tbakowsky likes this.
  15. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks everyone! This has been very helpful. I discussed with Jessie at SF Motor Sports and have a call into the dealer service dept. to discuss.