430 - Scuderia F1 Trans Issue | FerrariChat

430 Scuderia F1 Trans Issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by gw32, Jan 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I’m having a problem with my 2008 430 Scuderia (20,000 miles). About 20 minutes into a Sunday morning drive I got a message on the dash “ F1 Gearbox Failure”. I pulled over stopped the car and had it towed to the dealership service department. While waiting for the tow I tried to drive the car, but it would not shift gears.

After several weeks they informed me that the problem was a bad potensionometer (sp?). I’m told this is a device that controls shifting gears. They identified the problem by putting one from another customers’ car on my car. They said everything worked fine then. So, they ordered the part ($3,400) and installed it. After a couple more weeks they called yesterday to say that they are now getting error messages from the FI ECU and need to order that part ($3,600) from Italy. I explained how this didn’t make sense and how I was concerned they really didn’t know what was wrong and were just having me replace parts in an effort to find the problem. I told them not to order the ECU yet as I wanted to do my own investigation.

I have had other warning lights and computer gremlins, but they resolve themselves. I do use the battery tender. Anyone heard of this problem? Should I trust the dealer or take it somewhere else? Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

2. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have a suspicion that there is an existing battery issue which allowed voltage to drop below 12v when the garage was performing the F1 self-learn procedure following installing of the new pots. This scenario leads to corruption within the TCU parameters and breaks the F1 system.

A few thoughts:

Is it normal for that garage to take a few weeks? If I drop a car off somewhere then unless I'm told to expect otherwise I'd expect some kind of progress within a day or two.

Parts prices:
    Pots: https://www.ricambiamerica.com/248095-potentiometers-kit.html $799.19
    TCU: https://ferrparts.com/parts/Ferrari/254520 $1431.53

In terms of labour, I installed a set of potentiometers in approximately 3 hours. Rear under tray off, depending on type of exhaust installed either swivel the RH cat out of the way or remove, remove actuator, replace pots, run a self-learn via diagnostics.

The TCU (computer) takes 30 minutes to remove and install, plus another 30 for set up of a brand new unit. That's being generous

Loxo, Jaymac, gw32 and 2 others like this.
  3. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
  4. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Holy smokes! $4K+ here. Good lord! Ferrari 360 F1 GEAR - BOX ELECTRONIC CONTROL STATION, 211023 | Scuderia Car Parts

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I definitely agree with that the dealer "bricked" the TCU .. i would try going the customer service route and try to raise doubt ..given , i assume there was communication with it upon arrival at shop

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

gw32 likes this.
  6. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks everyone! This has been very helpful. I have talked to the independent repair shop that several recommended and have a call into the dealer.

mwstewart and ditpixs like this.