ALTERNATOR TIP FOR TESTAROSSA 88 | FerrariChat

ALTERNATOR TIP FOR TESTAROSSA 88

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tbothier, Jan 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbothier

tbothier Rookie

Dec 3, 2021
    UAE
    Full Name:
    THIERRY
    Hi guys, I need to change my alternator on my Testarossa (1988, EU specs).
    Have difficulty to find a Sanden SD508 testarossa 120A compatible at good price to ship to my current place in UAE.
    Do you have any tip with generic alternator reference non linked with Ferrari which can be compatible?
    Many thanks in advance
    Regards
    Thierry

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Sanden SD508 is an AC Compressor (not an alternator). Can't help with your alternator search other than to say check the TR cross-reference thread (and warn you that there seems to be many different ones based on year/version), but you are reading the nameplate on the wrong device. Can you not send it to an alternator rebuilder in one of the Western Europe countries if such service is not available in the UAE?

3. tbothier

tbothier Rookie

Dec 3, 2021
    UAE
    Full Name:
    THIERRY
    Hi Steve, yes sorry, as am changing also AC compressor at same time.
    For alternator, i understand it is Delco 120A - 144096.
    Rebuilder service looks complicate to find in UAE.
    If any tip to find this delco or similar matching, will be appreciated.
    thanks

4. tbothier

tbothier Rookie

Dec 3, 2021
    UAE
    Full Name:
    THIERRY
  5. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    The $500+ price is outrageous. Are you able to pull the alternator? If so, you can send it to me and i will have it rebuilt, even getting some extra windings to increase the amps a little (or a lot).

Similarly, I'm sure there are others on this forum who will do the same for you, saving you hundreds of dollars.

You can use me if no one closer offers help. I am in the Houston, Texas, USA are, zipcode 77354 to calculate postage.
    Hate to see this kind of automotive robbery.

If you want to proceed, i will get the cost for a complete rebuild with final testing readout: bearings, brushes, armature, if any of those are needed.

BTW, are you a UAE citizen or an expat?
    Very good chance we will be going to UAE in NOV22 for a triathlon, but this should all be turned around in less than a month.

6. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Here you go….

I bought a few weeks ago a refurbished Delco Remy 20213 120Amp Alternator for my 1986 Euro Testarossa from RockAuto and had it delivered from the US to UK in under 5 days. Yet to fit it to replace my failed unit…

Total price including the alternator, additional core charge, FedEx Delivery and import taxes was a total of $150. These cost £720 in the UK ($960+)!!!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/remy,20213,alternator+/+generator,2412

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Yay, Rockauto!!!

MaseratiMike likes this.
  8. tbothier

tbothier Rookie

Dec 3, 2021
    UAE
    Full Name:
    THIERRY
    Wow many thanks Mike!
    Very good this Rockauto, pity they don't have more parts for belt tensioners, engine mountings and others expensive ones for the current service am doing :)

Thanks Stasha for your help, very nice.
    I'll order Rockauto for this good price.
    Am expat, French in UAE.
    Keep me posted when u come over here to show u my TR!
    Am doing now the big service, so engine has been removed and am looking now for all parts needed for the service.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MaseratiMike likes this.
  9. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hope the service and restoration goes well, glad to have helped

tbothier likes this.
  10. tbothier

tbothier Rookie

Dec 3, 2021
    UAE
    Full Name:
    THIERRY
    Many thanks Mike!

11. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    PM me, I am in Dubai and know where you can get your Testarossa alternator rebuilt at very reasonable cost. I did mine on my 91 TR a decade ago and it still works perfectly.

12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Does the TR alternator fan blow backwards because of the rear hose feed? If so, swap the fan from old Alt.

13. tbothier

tbothier Rookie

Dec 3, 2021
    UAE
    Full Name:
    THIERRY
  14. tbothier

tbothier Rookie

Dec 3, 2021
    UAE
    Full Name:
    THIERRY
    Hi Ago,
    I think on this, there i no issue. Just the pulleys difference according to my mechanic.
    Thanks

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Early TR up to SN 84951 used a V-belt (so, unless Mike's 1986 TR was updated, that would be his alternator configuration). It was changed to the multi-V flat belt for SN 84952 and after. Please do report if the pulley swap is easy/direct, or needs some sort of adapter/machining on the shaft (the alternator itself is two different part numbers for the two types in the TR SPC).

16. tbothier

tbothier Rookie

Dec 3, 2021
    UAE
    Full Name:
    THIERRY
    Thanks Steve for reply.
    Will try to swap today and keep you posted

17. tbothier

tbothier Rookie

Dec 3, 2021
    UAE
    Full Name:
    THIERRY
  18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    And what was the needed modification? Some machining of the pulley, some machining on the shaft, something else?

19. tbothier

tbothier Rookie

Dec 3, 2021
    UAE
    Full Name:
    THIERRY
    Hi Steve, yes only machining of pulley

20. 180-V-12

180-V-12 Rookie

Apr 8, 2022
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan Pace
    Hi team, quick question, does the REMY 20213 also fit a 1991 Testarossa? I have a strange problem - the battery drains over time and the charging voltage is very small, only like 12.3V - the charging voltage should be higher. Also, is it a 2-wire or a 3-wire alternator? Are there different versions available that fit? Last but not least, can I exchange it without pulling the rear of the car off?

Thank you!
    Sorry I am new so I appreciate your patience!

21. tbothier

tbothier Rookie

Dec 3, 2021
    UAE
    Full Name:
    THIERRY
    Dears, as follow up with the RockAuto alternator I ve purchased for my 1988 Testarossa, It appeared after installation and engine maintenance done, that it doesn t work, was dead.
    Had to find locally another alternator (Chevrolet compatible with Testarossa) to solve the issue.
    Regarding RockAuto, I would not at all recommend them as they don t accept any warranty return cause not specified on their site it is compatible with Testarossa and they don t have any details to contact them...

22. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Do you still have your old alternator? I can put you in touch with someone in Dubai who can refurbish it very quickly and cheaply. As good as new.

23. tbothier

tbothier Rookie

Dec 3, 2021
    UAE
    Full Name:
    THIERRY
    Hi John, yes still and the RockAuto one also, both dead. Tried to refurbish them in Dubai in several places, they said no chance.