Would you trade your classic Maserati for a new MC20? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Would you trade your classic Maserati for a new MC20?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 3500 GT, Jan 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Sorry Bob - but it seems to me that you don`t WANT to get the point. I did not mention the value, performance of the Merak. I was talking about the -technical- concept. Thats all - nothing more - but also nothing less! I know that you luuuuuve your Bora -and thats good- as its a very good, much conservative car from the looks, powerful but its definitely not "exciting" nor is it sexy...

2. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    I have to disagree with this as I feel that very few cars are as sexy and exciting as the Bora Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Would you trade it for an MC20?

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Right back at you Walter. I won't address the rest of your comment because ... well, because I think you're damaging your own reputation at this point. So let's just agree to disagree.

5. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
  6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yes, the Bora-seats are -IMHO- the best looking seats ever! Furthermore I absolutely like the (EU-) front bumper-design. Lovely. But I am not convinced the design of the rear section of the car.

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Bob...don`t worry about my reputation. OK, accepted to agree that we don`t agree...

8. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Back in the day when the Bora was designed, there were no urethane products for bumpers such as came in later and everything was chrome. Ital Design did a great job in the front and the best they could with the Khamm tail design in the back and minimized the impact of the rear bumper while still trying to give the illusion that it would actual give some protect to the car if hit, just like in the front. All in all, given what needed to be done, I think they did an excellent job both front and rear for the European cars. On the other hand, we all know what the US cars ultimately ended up with although the earlier US cars weren't quite as bad as the later ones but they never came close to the beauty of the European models.

wbaeumer and 3500 GT like this.
  9. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    The front is definitely a work of art Image Unavailable, Please Login

wbaeumer and 3500 GT like this.
  10. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Add modern headlights available today and I doubt you could come up with a front end that is any better than the Bora. With the Bora headlights down. it is just superb in anyone's book. It's just timeless.

boralogist and 3500 GT like this.
  11. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Abosolutely! But -IMHO- the rear section became a little boring...

12. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    3500 GT and Nembo1777 like this.
  13. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Giugario is considered one of the great designers of his era and the Bora was one of the first, if not the first, design of Ital Design.I would think that in order to showcase his new company, he would have put everything he had into the design of the Bora. I don't agree with Walter on his thoughts about the rear end except for the bumper which would have always been problematic given the rest of the car's looks although he did what was needed. The car is both feminine and brutal, which is hard to achieve on one pallet with some lovely touches, like the subtle spoiler lip on the rear deck lid and the shark grill extractors for the engine compartment. Look the front-end and the choice to give the hard edges to the inside of the front fenders lines. It all looks right even fifty years on. Design was in transition when the Bora was designed and Giugario had one foot on either side of that transition and pulled it off.

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The big problem I have with the prettier SS bumpers is that they aren't really bumpers. I have the same thing on my Espada and Before I owned it someone smacked not all that hard in the right front but never fully straightened out the bumper nor removed the dent in it conveniently hidden by the license plate. These decorative at best and if you really use the car like I do it's nice to have the protection. Some idiot backed into the front of my Bora at the gas pump and the car lurched 6 inches but it didn't do any damage. Football helmet & pads ... not as lovely looking but I sure loved them at that moment!

3500 GT likes this.
  17. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    All modern super cars leave me cold. I'd rather have an XKSS Jag or a 246 Dino coupe or a 300 SL or an A6G2000 Maserati Zagato or a 250 SWB Ferrari or a 904 Porsche...etc., etc. etc.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  18. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    well, all are available.....;)

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Define available! ;) :p

20. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Most anything is available if there is enough money on the table and one can wait for a period of time for a deal to be done!

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Those are two very big IFs!

22. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I didn't say it is guaranteed! If my memory is correct, Walter has done some very interesting deals for some very desirable cars. I, for one, would never sell him short on what can be accomplished!

23. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There's zero he can do about the biggest obstacle for me ... THE MONEY! LOL
    I'm not really all that intersected in cars like this anymore. When they were far less expensive and going to shows and club events were far more informal we enjoyed ourselves much more. Hey we had our fun.

flat_plane_eddie and wbaeumer like this.
  24. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    But enough cash on the table and I can get you all cars that are mentioned in post 43. I hope that is defined enough for you :cool:

emsiegel13 likes this.