naked Mondial | Page 7 | FerrariChat

naked Mondial

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bryanp, Jan 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    One last drive for the season before they salt the roads?

2. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Each morning when my wife opens her facebook account she is presented with "Memories" from this date in some earlier year. Today the following appeared from 2016. Thought some of you might enjoy the memory trip as well.

Best regards,

Robert

The first two are of me telling sea stories at the Cavallino Symposium. The next is of the little blue car at the Classic Sports Sunday at Mar-a-Lago. The last shot is of the Finest Competition car award and the Excellence in Class award, and the gift of John Barnes name tag which as we finally noticed has the background of the little blue car from 2009.
    . Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

1monza, Tenney, SonomaRik and 13 others like this.
  3. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Dinosaur followers,

The following is a repost of some traffic from the "I"m honored" thread, moved here as the basic repository of the little blue car thread.

Texas Forever posted:

"My only request is you old guys, and I’m an old guys, need to tell some more campfire stories. How did you get involved with Ferraris? What captivated you? What got you involved with prancing ponies. The hour is getting late. Why not tell your story?"

Dear Dale,

Ask and ye shall receive, standby for a true sea story.

It was a superb party! The mid-May 1960 weather in San Leandro was perfect in the early evening as we sat around the apartment pool swapping stories of the day's events at the gimmick rally. The timed section over the Crow Canyon Road was impossible to make, but the Concord to Vallejo run was easy and the view was great from the MGA on a beautiful top down day. Leaving Vallejo, the rally master teased us with views of San Francisco across the bay as we wound through Richmond, then Berkeley and then through the hills of Oakland before dropping back to San Leandro. Talk inevitably turned to the hot newspaper story of the previous week with much speculation as to the make of the bright red sports car which had eluded California's finest White Eagles in a high speed chase which paralleled our Vallejo to San Leandro rally segment. We also got into one of the typical arguments about the segregated "class" mentality among different sports car owners. Clearly MG, Alfa and Triumph drivers waved at each other and to any other sports car, while Porsche and Jaguar owners seemed to suffer eyesight problems when offered a wave by the lower "class."

Although we each professed satisfaction with our current sports cars, there was a certain air of wistfulness when talking about quicker, more powerful machines. One could always wander through the BMC showrooms on Van Ness in chilly (or so it always seemed) San Francisco, or go past Charlie Rezzaghi's La Scuderia Rossa where there was always something exciting from Italy. As we discussed our various pipe dreams, the inevitable mention of Ferrari came up. I noted that on my meager monthly pay of $291 plus $47.88 for food as a Navy Lieutenant (Junior Grade) (equivalent to 1st Lieutenant for those of you of Army or Air Force persuasion), there was no possible way to come up with the money to think about acquiring even a used Ferrari from the occasional ads in Road & Track. At this point someone mentioned that a girl in the second floor apartment overlooking the pool had said something about a Ferrari for sale earlier in the week, but she wasn't at the party.

Obviously the next step was to go knock at the unknown apartment door and find out more about this rumor. The results were very sketchy. She thought that the car was located at some Rambler dealer in Richmond. After a simple scan of the Yellow Pages it was easy to spot the only Rambler dealer in Richmond which quickly became the target for a visit on my next free afternoon.

Once there, a quick look around confirmed that there was no sports car of any kind in either the lot or the showroom, so I asked the lady behind the counter if in fact they had a Ferrari. Almost with a look of scorn she replied “ Sonny we are a Rambler dealer, we don’t sell Ferraris!” At that point a fellow at the end of the counter said "I think there may be one out back in the shop, go ahead and look." On the first round of the shop, I almost missed an unsightly mess in the back corner. Upon second look, there clearly was a sports car but it was really in sad shape. It sat on jack stands with no wheels in sight. Under the rear end was a large wooden box full of strange looking gears and pieces of metal that were twisted and scored with streaks of blue shading from obvious overheating. There were no seats nor windscreen, and the hood and metal tonneau were stacked upright in the cockpit. The rear bodywork was crushed in, with slabs of broken white bondo showing under the mud covered blue paint. The sides showed the evidence of random paint gun spray pattern testing in at least three colors. The open engine compartment was filled with an oil, mud and grime covered assemblage resembling a V-8. I thought to myself, this is not a Ferrari, it is a Devin. I wonder what motor they used, so I grabbed a rag and wiped across one of the valve covers which revealed those hypnotic letters FERRARI ! That did it, I’ve got to save it! I was hooked and I would have to find a way to give this forlorn pile of junk a more proper home and to get started right away on the rescue mission.

Within three weeks I had found the owner, the wheels and the seats, agreed upon a purchase price of $2,225, secured a loan from my bank (for nearly one half of one year's salary at the time) and wonder of wonders, I had become a FERRARI owner. Next order on the agenda was to write to the factory and obtain a shop manual just as I had for the MGA, after all, with a shop manual one could figure out how to fix anything.

The reply was forever in coming. Both letters, one in Italian and the other a translation in English had the prancing horse letterhead, and that was the only good news. I quote segments "The number 510 means that the car belongs to 'Series II'. Being a competition model, we built only a few of these cars, and therefore we have not available any technical description, sufficient for its maintenance, since all the repairs were usually carried out by our own staff. At present, however, there is a skilled mechanic, with our California Importers, and no doubt he will be able to help you a great deal. With this opportunity, please accept our best regards. P. S. - This car was originally sold to Mr. François Picard of Nice, France."

So began my 58 year saga with the little blue car.

Best regards,

Robert

In time I will post more about the initial challenges I faced in getting the car back i presentable and running condition.

ggjjr, TWK, EnzoItaly and 14 others like this.
  4. s219

s219 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2021
    Great story and amazing car! Truly made my week to learn all about this car and its legacy. I just watched the Jay Leno video, twice, and it's the first time I have seen Jay so rapt with attention and hanging on every word.

5. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
  6. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Alternatively a later New Years greeting from many years ago. This was just after earning the Finest Competition Ferrari and the Vintage Spirit Award at the Classic Sports Sunday at Mar-a-Lago and the day after earning the Best of Show - Competition Ferrari, Four Cylinder Cup and Platinum Award for 100 point car at Cavallino Classic XVIII Concorso d'Elegance. The judges must have liked the car!

Have a Happy and healthy New Year to all!

Best regards,

Robert

NürScud, 1monza, Bisonte and 7 others like this.
  7. Sankar

Sankar Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 21, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Mani sankar
    What a journey.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Admiral, flipping through this old thread made me realize that you and that car are probably responsible for making more people aware and exposed more people to Ferraris history in early sports car racing than any other single custodian of these cars. Good job and thank you.

9. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    thecheddar and readplays like this.
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #160 Rifledriver, Feb 8, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
    No I had not. I have seen some of the pictures though. Many in them are friends. Great shots in a few of David Carte and Mike Dunne. Leslie and I were friends with both.

Many go to the time, trouble and expense to preserve these cars and that is great but so few are out and about so much so that the rest of us get to enjoy them and for that your father gets a great deal of credit. We have all benefited from his commitment to bring that car back to life.
    I remember Ed Gilbertson sharing a story of being very selective about who he sold his Barchetta to because he wanted it to go to someone who valued its originality and would likewise use it in public events so it was appreciated by all. Turns out not long after it changed hands it went to get totally restored and is for the most part sitting in storage with the rest of the collection. He was very sad about that I gathered.

Will you or your mother go on the trip with your father this summer? If so Leslie and I look forward to seeing you both.

readplays likes this.
  11. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    hey Brian; yes, my parents as well as my wife and I will be at Elkhart in September. As you know, it will be a special event for my father.

365GTC/4 and Marcel Massini like this.
  12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Terrific. Looking forward to seeing you all. We have had a good response from some of his old clients. There should be a good display as a tribute.

ggjjr and Bryanp like this.
  13. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Dinosaurs,

This showed up in the mail yesterday. Suspect this is certification of dinosaur status.

Best regards,

Robert

Ferrari Club of America 60 year membership emblem

Tenney, NürScud, P. Collins and 6 others like this.
  14. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    This is a repost from the “Resale Red” thread simply to have all my photos and stories contained in this thread.

Dear Dinosaurs,

Shockingly I must admit that 64 years ago I repainted my new acquisition "resale red" because "all Ferraris were red"! When I bought it, the dark blue color was the fourth repaint job. During the 2000 to 2008 conservation/restoration project there were places where we could see the various paint layers including the original French Racing Blue (or Bugatti blue) due to the original French owner's request. The three colors are reflected in the following pictures.

There is no doubt in my mind that the original light blue is perfect on this car.

Best regards,

Robert

when bought in 1960
    [​IMG]

After my 1960 resale red repaint job
    [​IMG]

After returned to the original paint color
    [​IMG]

Or as shot by Chris Schlumpf
    [​IMG]

NürScud, P. Collins, Tenney and 9 others like this.