Driving Suggestions in Berkshires | FerrariChat

Driving Suggestions in Berkshires

Discussion in 'New England' started by leeber, Jan 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    I am planning a summer vacation in July, in the Berkshires, mostly near West Stockbridge/Lenox. Having never been, I am thinking of shipping a car up to do some spirited mountain driving and exploring with my wife. Can someone comment with ideas or tips on roads to take that end up with a great bakery stop. Any good car shows/cars n coffees/concourse events in July? Thanks.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I lived in the area for 35 years. (Now in SC like you) Just avoid Rt. 20 and Rt. 7. Heading in any direction will give you lots of choices. Wander. Get lost. Just watch out for speed traps. A lots of these small towns have speed limits that drop to 30 far from the outskirts of town. Keep an eye on the signage. A run up to Manchester, VT on old route 7A is pleasant day trip.

The Taconic Trail (Route 2) from Rt 7 (just south of Williamstown) west to NY 22 is a nice road. There is an old ski area on the way called Petersburg Pass. In the opposite direction eastbound, Rt. 2 goes to Whitcomb's Summit and is known as the Mohawk Trail. I did a lot of dual sport motorcycling on class 4 roads in the area. A run up to the top of Mt. Greylock is also fun but pick a clear weather day for the views. More here:

https://www.mohawktrail.com/driving-tours.html

Texas Forever and ronfrohock like this.
  3. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Not much car culture in the area but I have been away for a few years. When I was a member of the FCA I would do events in Burlington VT. or Boston. There is the Saratoga Auto Museum: http://www.saratogaautomuseum.org/
    It's about an hour and twenty minutes NNW from Lennox. You could work that in to a day trip for sure.

4. chucklehead

chucklehead Karting

Mar 28, 2005
    Beverly, MA
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    I go through Lenox on my way to Lime Rock in Connecticut. In July they have the IMSA Northeast Grand Prix. Usually car clubs running on track on the weekends. Very pleasant drive on US 7 S through New England towns to Lime Rock.

ronfrohock likes this.
  5. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Check out the Mowhawk trail Route 2, did a group drive there awhile back with the S200o club neat drive.
    Kringle candle does a decent size/selection carsn'coffee the second Sunday of every month in the summer if you happen to be there that weekend worth checking out. They are in Bernadston Mass www.kringlecandle.com

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    While you are in Lenox check out www.donovanmotorcars.com
    Something non car related but worth seeing i.m.o. is The Clark Art Institute, www.clarkart.edu which is about 27 miles north of Lenox via route 7.

Texas Forever and Anthony James like this.
  7. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I started going to the Clark Art Institute as a kid in High School in the 60's. A fabulous museum then and today. Incredible Impressionist collection. Just up the street is the Williams College Museum of Art. https://artmuseum.williams.edu/
    It has one of my all time favorite car content paintings. Grant Wood's (of American Gothic fame)...

Death on the Ridge Road
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I've never been to the Williams museum, will have to check it out.

9. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    All great suggestions. Getting lost in the Berkshire's is an excellent idea. Your bound to end up at some interesting dinning establishments. Enjoy!

10. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I live near the southwestVT/northwest corner MA border, and can tell you there are plenty of fun roads around. I usually take Vt RT 100 or RT 2 in Mass and makes for a nice drive. You will not be disappointed as long as the weather cooperates, and that was a big problem this year. It just never stopped raining.

11. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    19633500GT likes this.
  12. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Great thread everyone. Thanks for all the car ideas, plus the art museums. I am a big fan of art, so those ideas are top block but we also require stops at all fresh bread bakery's and pastry shops. Seems I will need to add an extension of days to the trip. I will circle back with more comments after I check out all the links.

13. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I live on Western Mass. Route 2 is a must over the mountains and head to Shelburne Falls….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nospinzone and rob like this.
  14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Definitely visit Shelburne Falls and walk the Bridge of Flowers. If you are there at lunch time go to the West End Pub. If there for dinner, then go to the Blue Rock Restaurant. Although regrettably we haven't been to either since covid. :(

15. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    The northwest CT, Western MA, Northwest MA, Western VT corridors have MANY many amazing drives.

We drive CT almost every Sunday, dubbed 'Dad Drives', it's a small (less than 10) group of us who meet up and go out and about on some of the most amazing backroads in the country.

Jasonberkeley and rob like this.
  16. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Lenox rd/Richmond mountain road is my usual. Stop at Olivia’s overlook with your packed lunch. Weekdays only, as there’s not enough parking. You can do some hiking from there if that’s your thing. Take a right onto 183, at the old stone foundation, kripalu grounds, basically across from tanglewood. Almost immediate left onto Hawthorne rd which turns into prospect hill rd, past naumkeak mansion, can do house and gardens tours there too, and comes out directly opposite the red lion inn on 102.