Why Jay Leno will never buy a Ferrari | FerrariChat

Why Jay Leno will never buy a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by azzurribaggio, Feb 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

Not sure if this already has been posted.

I get what he means, didn't David Lee not make the Ferrari VIP list and he has owned a ton of Ferrari's and promotes them a lot.

Luckily I dealt with a private owner when I got mine and not the dealer, I hate dealing with car dealers period.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

2. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I feel bad now for Mondial owners.

3. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

I don't. They drive a Ferrari.

4. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    He makes valid points. I respect his position.

GHG, NürScud and Boomhauer like this.
  5. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    From what I have read on this forum over the years is that the US dealers require you to purchase a particular model in order to be able to purchase the model that you want. I do not believe that it is a directive from the factory as that does not happen here in Australia and from what I have seen in the UK or Europe. So the US dealers do this and it puts a sour taste in a prospective buyer and gives the brand a bad image. If all new Ferrari buyers in the US would push back and say "no the model I want is SF90 (for example) and Im not buying a Portofino to get the SF90." The dealers faced with no sales would quickly change their tune.

The poor reflection on Ferrari is that I am sure they know of this practice but do nothing as they get the sales numbers they want in the US.

LVP488, SonomaRik and Il Tifoso like this.
  6. dariedell

dariedell Karting

Jul 12, 2021
    United States
    Full Name:
    Andrew Riedell
    I don't think he was promoting them yet (at least via YouTube like he does now), but when the LaFerrari was coming out, David already had the 288 GTO, the F40, the F50, and the Enzo, and he still wasn't given an allocation.

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. thx enzo

thx enzo Karting

Aug 11, 2021
    Hartland, WI
    Full Name:
    Stevenp
    With regard to US purchasers, I went to Ferrari Lake Forest last August to look at a used 488 Spider, having never owned a Ferrari. Their F8 Spider demo was nearby and I said to the salesman, "I really like the look of those better." He replied, "well you can order one." I was shocked to say the least, and a week later took him a deposit check. Just so happens they had a recent F12 trade, and I decided to drive a NA V12 for the 2 years it will take to get my spider.

ferraridreamer, jjmalez and VAF84 like this.
  8. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    A reflection of increased production, increased competition and decreased demand. Basic economics.

9. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    For regular production models, it's my understanding that buying one is no different than buying any other car. That is, if you have the money and they have an available allocation, they'll sell you whatever model you want.

It's the limited models that are offered only to Ferrari VIPs. You have to already own (purchased new) a number of Ferraris, show them often, wear Ferrari-branded clothing when you do, wave your Ferrari pom-poms around and basically be a Ferrari cheerleader, and jump through other similar hoops before Ferrari will consider giving you an allocation. In a nutshell, it's "by invitation only".

10. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
  11. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    I was told i needed to have bought (2) new cars from Ferrari to qualify for an SF90 (last July). Did not end up ordering one; my 812 I bought used and didn't want to order other cars to get to the SF90

12. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

But somehow the rapper Tyga got one from Beverly Hills Ferrari? What's wrong with that optic from us forum guy's point of view?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Conan O'Brien and David Letterman have a thesis about this.

15. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Did the dealership have two new Ferrari's in their inventory for you to purchase? Ferrari still has that silly rule that dealers can not post new inventory on their web sights.

Joe

16. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Wow.

17. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Hmm. I would have thought the opposite. If Ferrari can remain snobbish, it would seem their cars have no real competition and are in very high demand.

18. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    No but they were happy to let me order a Roma, F8, etc.

jjmalez likes this.
  19. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Leno seemed to like driving this one:

NürScud, Texas Forever and ChipG like this.
  20. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Jay cant buy used??

SV

RedTaxi likes this.
  21. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Most of his huge collection is "used".

Texas Forever and RedTaxi like this.
  22. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Exactly, most of what he has is old and worth way more than he paid. He should just buy an older special one.

23. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Sorry, but Jay is upset because he didn't want to do the things that everyone else must do to build a relationship with their dealer and their standing with Maranello. Jay wanted to be special. I have no sympathy for him or his position.

Alcav5 and Carl A like this.
  24. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I have had the opposite experience from Mr. Leno with Porsche. For example, despite having three 918s, a CGT, seven 3RS and three 2RS, I could not and cannot even order a GT3 at sticker today, I have never been contacted by anyone at their USA to say the least of their corporate headquarters. Their dealer network seems completely independent from and without control by their regional or corporate entities. Has that changed my desire to own and drive their cars? Absolutely! I have sold every Porsche I owned except for one 918 and two 2011 GT3RSs.

Did Ferrari make me pay my dues? Of course. Did they reward me beyond my wildest dreams? Absolutely!! Has being in the XX program for six years, attending Cavalcade in Capri and the Amalfi Coast, participating in five Pebble Beach rallies positively impacted my life? Undeniably. Ferrari employees at the dealer level across multiple dealers are like extended family. Many FNA employees are friends. More than forty corporate employees in Italy are like extended family. Ferrari owners who I have met are some of my closest friends. The coaches I had at Corsa Pilota over six years ago remain my friends and still help me to be a better driver. Ferrari is so much more than buying a car.

Do I miss seeing Jay Leno at these Ferrari events? No.

25. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I rather like mondials. People need to stop criticizing and appreciate the quirky charm of everything, even if not to your taste

paulchua, Texas Forever and Thomas S. like this.