Ferrari Announces LMH Factory Program! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Announces LMH Factory Program!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by chrixxx, Feb 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Theothertopgearfan

Sep 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    The stig
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Never mind the Stuttgart piggie that is the enemy this thread should be ONLY for the first Ferrari factory entered Sports prototype in half a century.

NürScud likes this.
  3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Porsche is the only one of the 2023 entries that has a car. Audi, despite being a Porsche with a different engine, is already behind, and Ferrari, that has a lot more to test, won´t be ready till summer.

ByKolles has not been even admitted for this year.

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes but no one is preventing those who want it to start a separate WEC 23 thread.

Let's please keep this one on the Ferrari, realise that many tifosi fans of Le Mans have been waiting for this for 50 years, specially after the 333SP never ever got a proper chance at Le Mans because Montezemolo wanted 100% focus on F1.

This is major Ferrari history in the making. To be there in the Sarthe and to see Ferrarin win would be overwhelmingly special for me and countless others.

F1tommy likes this.
  5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think we have ZERO chance of seeing V12 in motor racing anymore (historic excepted).

Probably that even Ferrari will give it up on road cars before long.

6. Understood, but discussing your "enemy" (competition to me...) in the same thread is special to many more as it is what makes the Ferrari's existence viable.....otherwise non-existent. ;)

william, CottonCandy and chrixxx like this.
  7. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    just to have multi manufacturers including Ferrari in the WEC Topclass is a proper way to celebrate 100 years of Le Mans in 2023. According to Ferrari the Design of the Car is done and testing should start soon. there is also the new GT Family coming based on the 296 so quite a busy time for the Competizioni GT Department!

ingegnere, StregaP, Nembo1777 and 3 others like this.
  8. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  9. Hmmmmm....."“Ferrari has made all the cars in its history, so no choice really, this is our philosophy."

I'd like to believe this is true.....but.....the 333SP (Dallara and Michelotto).....?.....and....."with its next-generation 296 GT3 car, which is currently under construction at ORECA".....??? Image Unavailable, Please Login

william likes this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Not forgetting the 550GT Maranello GT1s built by Prodrive (Danbury, UK) for the FIA GT championship, and Le Mans. ;)

Boomhauer and lorenzobandini like this.
  11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Apparently Porsche is using the hot vee Audi RS6 engine, so I suppose both prototypes will be the same with different bodywork.

12. Guilty as charged. Indeed I did forget. Were they built by ProDrive or just modified by them?
    Speaking of Prodrive, talking to Darren Turner prior to it's debut at Sebring in 2005, it was great to see the DBR9 whoop the Corvettes. :)

william likes this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    As far as I know, Prodrive were the first to see GT1 potential in the 550 Maranello, and started to built one in that configuration.
    Its initial weakness was the gearbox apparently. Prodrive pleaded with Ferrari to have it "beefed up" to their requirement, and they obliged.
    The first car was presented to Ferrari who gave the all clear for a series to be built.
    The cars and later the 575, ran in the FIA GT championships with some success.

14. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    When Ferrari chose to be involved in the top class, it just had to be in Le Mans Hypercar,” he said. “Ferrari has made all the cars in its history, so no choice really, this is our philosophy.

“I can say our project is going ahead very fast. It’s very complicated, because the LMH is more complicated than the LMDh, but this is what we have chosen.

“When we compete in a category, it is normal that the car has to be all Ferrari,- a coletta

296 gt3 is made in france.. what kind of philosophy is that... i hope this new gt car will be as failure as the 488 gt is successful...

15. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Italtecnica were the first to build a GT1 550 after Ferrari stopped the F50 GT1 and Ratel wanted to have Ferrari for his GT1 Series and he even changed the rules for Privatteams to homologate Cars without the approval or involement of the Manufactuers. The Italtecnica Maranello was quite fast but blowed up engines like hell. Sometimes even just after firing it up. French Businessman Frédéric Dor, who initially ordered one of the 550's asked Prodrive to develop a GT1 Version and the 550 Maranello GTS Project by Prodrive was concieved and funded entirely by Dor and his Care Racing Development Company without Ferraris involvement. Jean Todt even refused to accept them as Ferraris as Dor offered the Project to him for free. The 550 won the GT1 Class at Le Mans 2003, the FIA GT1 Championship in 2003 and 2004 with lots of race wins. Seeing the 550 winning let Ferrari build the 575 GT1 but with very moderate success....

there were other Companies building racing cars based on the Maranellos but never with success as the 10 Chassis build by prodrive who (except one) have been all owned by Care Racing Development until a few years ago.

of2worlds, Doug23 and F1tommy like this.
  16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #145 Nembo1777, Feb 5, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    Enough with that: because of the new factory LMH program the capacity for the factory or Michelotto or Dallara to do this was not there, there was no other company in Italy capable of taking this on so it was either Oreca, an excellent company or no GT program at all. Think about that.

Hugues de Chaunac, its President, is a great man, very successful with his company and very respected. I had a meeting with him in the late 80's when I was racing and was really impressed.
    I just know this will be an impeccably executed program so sit back and admire the work.

of2worlds, F1tommy and chrixxx like this.
  17. Enough with that??? Bulldinky. :p
    What has any of your post to do with my curiosity about the statement “Ferrari has made all the cars in its history, so no choice really, this is our philosophy."
    I in no way demeaned Oreca. But, rather, questioned Antonella Coletta's statement; as Ferrari has not "made all the cars in it's history".....
    "That's all folks". Image Unavailable, Please Login [​IMG]

18. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Towards the end of the Daytona 24 IMSA Radio did an interview with someone from Porsche motorsport about the LMDh engine and he confirmed it actually was not based on a road engine. I am blanking on the name of the person they were interviewing. I think it must have been 1-2 hours before the end of the race.

DeSoto likes this.
  19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well perhaps I was hasty and did not read your post in detail but there have been several annoying anti Oreca comments here and people need to realize there was no other option so don't blame them for having been chosen they deserve it. Lamenting the fact that no Italian company was available for the job is rather pointless.

Doug23 likes this.
  20. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Teaser of the Cadillac GTP car. If it looks anything like this we are in for a real treat. Oddly enough GTP is more of what I expected to see from Hypercar than what Hypercar is.

21. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    GTP is a rebranding of the "prototype class" (LMH+LMDh) for the IMSA, but I don´t know if there are going to be any differences with ACO´s prototypes.