Why Jay Leno will never buy a Ferrari | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Why Jay Leno will never buy a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by azzurribaggio, Feb 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Brian,

I must start with the fact that Jay Leno was the consummate gentleman for the entire day of the video shoot. He showed us (me, my wife and son) around many of the cars, started up the turbine car, showed us the oil can display with Denise McCluggage's ashes, and invited us to the noon meal spread he shares with his mechanics. At no time did I get the feeling that he was going to think about adding the car to his collection. He said nothing about experiences with Ferrari the company nor dealers, basically the topic never came up. A couple of months later at the 2018 PB Gooding auction, he and his entourage came around the back of the auction tent, greeted me by name and wished me luck. Just before I drove my car on to the auction stage they sat in the row immediately behind my family, basically for moral support, and they left right after the sale of my car.

Best regards,

Robert
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boots, syata, plastique999 and 13 others like this.
  2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    these stories are always the same....

i will just speak for myself.....
    i am a passionate car enthusiast, and my father and i have enough cars to drive a different one nearly every day of the month, and have had many more in our past.
    we have only very rarely bought any of them from a dealer.
    i dont usually like the the latest and greatest new toy, and i absolutely refuse to play any games to get on lists etc.
    its my money, and i will choose who and what to spend it on.
    if i dont perceive value for money in the article or the service, i will not go back.
    i dont need affirmation of anything from people who are trying to sell the cars to me.

as for Jay Leno, i think his words have struck a nerve with some of you......good or bad.

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Thanks for the detailed reply. It is remarkable the adventures you have had with that little car. I continue to accrue my adventures, although on a much lesser scale, with my 308. Like you, I have taught myself how to work on it myself. It is a fun hobby (...usually).

We met, and spoke, a few years back after you had completed the restoration. I think probably at Concorso Italiano or Laguna Seca Raceway. Thank you for that time too.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    He has had this position for decades. But if he really wanted one, he could buy any and have it serviced outside of the FNA network.

Also, all he says about McLaren treating him nice, Ferrari does so too.

It's just old and tiring bs discussion at this point.

TOOLFAN, SonomaRik, tfazio and 3 others like this.
  5. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Let me ask his buddy if he thinks he will mind or not, Jay went very easy on the story to not put anyone down so not sure if he wants the more harsh truthful version told on a public form.

6. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Thanks, but no need to go to any trouble. I was just curious.

7. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I don’t see why the topic has become so divisive. Jay is a car guy through and through. Opinionated like all of us, but a gentleman and really down to earth too.

His experience is something we can all relate to. It has little to do with Ferrari themselves. It is about the dealers that Ferrari allows to represent them and they are not all up to the same standard.

I have had Ferrari dealers ignore me in a showroom because I walked in wearing jeans and sneakers, I’ve been asked to park my Mercedes away from the showroom because the dealer also owned a Mercedes’ dealership and I didn’t buy my car from him (!) and I’ve had a dealer take a large amount of money on deposit for a limited edition car, only to discover a year later than he lied about having an allocation for me. I stopped dealing with those dealers, but I never stopped being a Ferrari customer and I now work with a dealer for 5+ years who is a real star and offers incredible service.

Ferrari have one of the most organised and fair client relationship management models that I have ever experienced. It didn’t really exist ten years ago, so perhaps Jay did not experience it, but it is world class.They ask for significant commitment and so they should as they are a world class brand, but they also reward loyalty and treat loyal customers like family.

In 30 years of dealing with Ferrari I have never been asked to buy X cars in order to get an allocation for something else, but I do take my dealer’s advice on how to maintain my connection to the brand and that does include a sensible and consistent history of purchases. Ferrari above all is an experience and it requires immersion!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

8. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    While he has a diverse collection for the most part Leno is a Lamborghini guy has been for a very long time. He has a number of vintage Lamborghinis and does occasionally show up at their club organized events.

while he may have his reasons for not wanting to buy a new Ferrari from their dealer network under their rules. But Considering that like most collectors his cars are primarily vintage, very few new Ferrari dealers are involved in the vintage Ferrari market. So what’s stopping him from buying say a Daytona? he is a Miura, Espada and Countach owner.

9. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Let's be honest - he's not wrong. The whole kiss-the-ring thing is a bit ridiculous whether it be with Ferrari or any other brand. It's up to the individual to decide if it's worth it to them or not. It doesn't appear that it is for JL.

He did slap the Mondial a bit in that video, didn't he? Oh well, I just came back in from an early morning, hour-long drive in my 3.2 Coupe on some local twisties. It might not be a 275, a 288, F40 or even something newer like a F8, but I'm quite pleased with it. No need to feel bad for me.

2cam

10. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    skip the game. if you want a newer Ferrari just buy one slightly used. You will save big money (and hassle) even if you have to pay over the list for the slightly used car. I wish we had done just that for our (now sold) pista. We came out OK in the end financially, but the overall experience wasn't great.

SonomaRik, gabf1 and Texas Forever like this.
  11. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    The biggest reason to buy new is that you can spec the car the way you want. Used choices are limited to what other people wanted when they bought new. But you're right, lots easier and more economical to buy used. And a used car can be had immediately vs. waiting a year or two for a new one to be built.

syata likes this.
  12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Plus, the marginal difference between new and used is so close. Maybe 750 hp v 800 hp.

Moreover, maybe it is just me, but the newer Ferrari designs look like someone who is trying to hard to be different. As many have said, the 458 was damn near perfect. Everything after that?

Tony91505 and 09Scuderia like this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    All I needed to know about Jay is what I saw transpire in public about 20 some years ago. If he doesn't like own a Ferrari, that's a-okay in my book.

amenasce and Texas Forever like this.
  14. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Something strikes me wrong about this.

If he's so into the cars, buy used. After all, 90% of his cars are used!

If he LOVES the F40, they can be had with just his checking account dividends.

15. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    It's a matter of principle. He admires the product, but deeply dislikes "the Ferrari way". He believes the company should be thankful for the privilege of selling to a customer, rather than making the customer be thankful for the privilege of buying a car from them.

09Scuderia, rossodino and Jaguar36 like this.
  16. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    Walks into FoBH at the peak of the bubble in the 80s and holds a grudge for the next 35 years, lol.

Imagine wanting to join a country club but being upset you have to be invited, be vetted, or pay an initiation fee. Wants the exclusivity, but doesn't want to jump through the hoops that others do.

I love Leno, but this feels a little like a 'I'm a normal guy' act - he could've made a phone call anytime since that bubble popped and would've been treated like royalty from that day forward.

SonomaRik, amenasce and Alcav5 like this.
  17. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    "sensible and consistent history of purchases" to "maintain my connection to the brand".
    isn't that "buy X cars in order to get an allocation"?

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Having observed him and the way he conducts himself at car shows when he really isn't in the spot light etc... I can't say enough nice things about him.

Jay Leno is a genuine guy. He is so nice and caring for damn near anyone who smiles at him. I've never seen him be rude or talk down or turn anyone down. He is always so so so nice and this includes when cameras are not on him.

Throughout my career... I have heard nothing but the best stories about him. Everyone likes the guy

I say all of this as a non Jay Leno fan. I didn't care for his the tonight show... I was a letterman guy. Now I hate letterman and like Leno. Turns out letterman is ****** and Leno is a great guy.

Tons and tons of respect for the guy.

Although... I think at this point... I think he enjoys not being a Ferrari owner. It isn't his signature... But... It's part of it at this point.

randkin, gabf1, Texas Forever and 7 others like this.
  19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Because owning those cars don't mean too much to Ferrari. How much did Ferrari benefit from him owning those cars. He isnt/wasn't a Ferrari customer at that point ... He was a used car dealers customer at that point.

He lacked a history of regularly purchasing new cars.

Also he wasn't in Corsa clienti

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #70 paulchua, Feb 8, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    Fool me once (Letterman), shame on you. Fool me twice? (O'brien) Shame on me.

But it doesn't stop there.

Hall
    Miller
    Stern
    Carson
    Carter
    Kimmel
    Lopez
    Colbert
    Rock

This is just who I think of at the top of my head. 1 or 2 people hate a person? I get it - but it's become a pattern. Just ask anybody in the comedy circuit, you'll hear a consensus on very dark things...

Now Letterman may be a jerk too, I don't know. Not that any of these really matters, It's not like I'm doing business with Jay, and it is hearsay - but public nonetheless.

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferrari Beverly Hills did not exist in the 80's.

willcrook, Lusso123 and Tony91505 like this.
  22. rampante550

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    is that a critical detail to the point being made? lol

23. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I've never heard the story...and am only reacting to what you wrote... But to me it would be an indicator as to the credibility of the story. Obviously they got the name.id the store wrong so they can't be that close to the "origin" sort of a thing. Or it's just a genuine mistake. Who knows. But it's a clue for some I suppose.

SonomaRik, Tony91505 and rampante550 like this.
  24. rampante550

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    Ah, just a misunderstanding, sorry, I thought you were henpecking.

I wasn't relaying a historical account, but my interpretation of what he was getting at. He mentioned the Mondials a couple times, so was picturing him walking into whatever dealer serviced LA at the time, where even a somebody can be a nobody, at a time when prices were through the roof, and then still being wounded decades later by the fact he couldn't just drive a car off the lot the day he walked in.

To never own even a classic based on that one experience just seems so silly to me, so I was just trying to boil it down.

25. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ohh I hear ya.

It's all speculation in my book.

My guess he enjoys not owning a Ferrari and owning everything else.

I think he prefers that and is a collector of great cars not just the"coolest car to own"

The guy is a genuine car guy. There are lots of big collectors that own great and fantastic Ferraris and aren't really car guys. They are I have cool stuff guys.

And again... Everything I am saying is my personal interpretation not first hand knowledge.

Anyone's guess is as good as mine... Well to an extent. Lol

rampante550 likes this.