F355 Market | Page 331 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cycloneGTS

cycloneGTS Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    Great work pointing out the seat leather and engine bay details. How does Bonhams represent this as "highly original" and low mileage? I guess the term(s) are up for interpretation. In any event, the buyer paid a premium for this one, so hope they are happy!

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Takes the honesty policy. It not like the send in factory folks to validate the cars. Owner says its original, so its original. Buyer beware, do your diligence is how it works. They are just a passthrough and do not certify claims.

tres55 and cycloneGTS like this.
  3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The Spider wouldn’t be hard to restore. It’s just spec’d weird. It’s funny to see bizarre things an owner would do to his car 900 mi in … and then proceed to not drive it for 20+ years.

tres55 likes this.
  4. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    I'm not buying the story on it. Doesn't add up. If it walks and quacks....

Even the auction verbiage.. using terms like "highly original" and "presumably stored" as if they know its likely off but just passing on the info.

tres55 and cycloneGTS like this.
  5. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    If you've ever bid at one of these auctions you already know that they take essentially no responsibility and it's up to you to verify most details beyond the make, model, version etc that you they claim.

Wsmatau likes this.
  6. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    That car was on their website yesterday and gone today. sold already ?

7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
  8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Hey Look!! It’s a Serie Fiorano with the uber rare optional “personalization plate” actually filled in! First time I’ve ever seen this. I’ve seen a few, but the plates were left blank. Just the Cavallino.

Interestingly, the option doesnt show up on the window sticker.

Just when you thought you’ve seen it all, something always pops up with 355’s. That’s why I love this car :).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

steved033 and 308 GTB like this.
  9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    An historically significant car owned by Ferrari Concours Judge Ed Gilbertson.

Congratulations, Steve! Drive it in good health.

Barry

steved033 and ShineKen like this.
  11. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I personally looked very closely at this car out of interest as a previous 355 owner. I don’t recall exactly what came to mind at the time but it just didn’t seem to be in the condition I would imagine it should be.
    If I really was looking for a time capsule I just don’t think I would’ve bid on this one.
    Didn’t feel right.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

carnutdallas and cycloneGTS like this.
  12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I wish...lol

Julia likes this.
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

For $350k, I could put together a 95 black on black Berlinetta (1 of 11 in the world) equipped with Fiorano Handling Pack, Carbon Sport Seats, Ferrari carbon door sills (with “Ferrari” aluminum scripts) and Ferrari carbon center console (as seen on a Serie Fiorano). Heck, for a nice round $355k number, I might even be willing to include a brand new pre-airbag steering wheel. This would all be genuine Ferrari parts of course. A 1 of 1 road-going F355 spec which Ferrari should’ve built, but unfortunately never did.

The raw feel, extra power, higher pitched sound of the 2.7 along with the stiffer Berlinetta chassis, light-weight carbon sport seats, the car would drive twice as good as a Serie Fiorano.

If one wishes to take it a step further, he can add genuine euro-spec challenge front and rear bumpers (which I have) for significant weight reduction, challenge brake ducting and rear diffuser (which I have), light-weight lithium battery, upgraded bushings (which I have), upgraded Brembo GT brakes, light-weight wheels (challenge wheels preferably), and a proper intake/exhaust system. The end result would be a better spec’d car than a Modificata street 355 and would probably give a 355 Challenge a run for it’s money. Heck, if you want to spice things up, I’ve got a challenge wing and original challenge OMP seats as well. An F355 Challenge is the ultimate track 355. My build suggestion would be the ultimate street 355 built with mostly rare, genuine, and highly desirable Ferrari F355-spec parts.

Any takers ? :)

14. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Tempting Lol

ShineKen likes this.
  15. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Make is red / black with those black sport seats with red inserts.

ShineKen likes this.
  16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    You already know there’s only one person in the world with the car, parts, and know-how to make this dream become reality ;).

Skippr1999 and carnutdallas like this.
  17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    You know you could always paint the car to whatever color you’d like. Black is a nice neutral color to work with just in case certain areas can’t be reached. Just keep in mind there’d be one less black on black 95 GTB in the world.

It was my initial plan to paint this car red after searching for a 95 red/black 355 for years with no luck. But having parked my two cars together, a black 355 holds it’s own. Red just happens to be my favorite color :).

18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    @Skippr1999

Oh and in regards to seat trim…I’m pretty confident Justin Placek can put together a pair of full alcantara carbon sports seats (for me) if push comes to shove. That’s really what I envision for my personal car. A two-tone leather/alcantara interior to really nail down that race look for the road. I’m not too concerned with originality for my own car, hence the reason I’d be willing to give up my original carbon sport seats. At that stage, Justin should be able to build you an extra set of red/black seat cushions however way you’d like which you can have in addition to the original seats. I don’t recommend changing the original seats. Preservation would be best.

Skippr1999 likes this.
  19. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    That would be a car worth building and buying. $355k has a nice ring to it… I am thinking $246

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wsmatau and ShineKen like this.
  20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-ferrari-f355-spider-fiorano/

Back to the highlight 355 on BAT. This might be the first time a Serie Fiorano has been offered on BAT. Definitely, the first one offered in the post-Covid era. Will be interesting to see where valuations go for these rare gems.

The ad also has a pretty decent driving video. I could not find a driving vid of an FHP-equipped car for the life of me. This could very well be the first time someone has posted an extensive driving video. Those curious should definitely check it out. It’s not bad.

For those unfamiliar, an FHP-equipped car has a quicker steering rack and pump (2.75 turns vs 3.25 turns), stiffer front and rear springs, and stiffer/thicker front and rear anti-roll bars from a challenge car. Less important, it comes with slotted rotors, red calipers, and perhaps better brake pads, but these were also offered as standard upgrades for any 355 from 98-99. Lastly and most importantly, it has a unique Bilstein damper ECU with a more aggressive, but perhaps smoother map than standard to dial in all the suspension upgrades and insure it all works beautifully.

From what I’ve read, they spent ton of time developing this map in Fiorano and with the 355 already out for 3 years along with challenge cars, they knew exactly which areas could be improved. It’s simply unfortunate and I believe a crime this was only offered in a Spider (Serie Fiorano) in the U.S, which probably just made it drive as good as a standard Berlinetta :p. Someone at Ferrari North America should be shot for this decision.

Any guesses where this car lands?

21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I miswrote post above. Drilled rotors, not slotted rotors :).

OCKlasse likes this.
  22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #8272 johnk..., Feb 6, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    I think I final understand why many southern Californians dislike spiders. It's the smog! :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    It doesn’t fully surprise me that the Original Owner/Seller of the Fiorano on BAT, gave it to a Dealer to sell. And he is well respected and carries clout with his background.

The obnoxiousness, and absolute absurdity one has to deal with as a 355 Seller is beyond comprehension. Ask me how I know, and I have thick skin, patience, and can quickly call someone on their BS. That was me just selling a run of the mill red/tan Spider.

The Broker on BAT is getting bashed with nonsensical BS already.

carnutdallas likes this.
  24. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Why I am not a fan of BaT…. But that is another Fchat thread.

ShineKen…. Keep those parts, car and that build in your hip pocket. That is floating in my 2023 vision board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShineKen likes this.
  25. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The only part(s) I’m missing for the FHP conversion is the quick steering rack and pump that goes with it. The steering rack new is unobtanium. Heck, used is nearly unobtanium. The pump is still available new.

Drilled rotors are still available from Ferrari I believe. I have red calipers as well, but that doesn’t make a difference in handling :).

It will probably take me two years (or more) to build the car anyways as I’m more focused on my red car. However, if I’m going to build a 355 with all genuine OE Ferrari Fiorano Handling Pack parts, I need to pull the trigger on that used quick steering rack on Yahoo Auctions Japan for $5k+ before someone else buys it lol. It will probably need a proper rebuild as well. Gonna be $7k just for the parts alone, not including the nightmare labor involved in putting it in.

These parts aren’t cheap, not to mention impossible to find. It’s essentially a decade long (or more) treasure hunt and once you find the last pieces to complete the set, the set is worth significantly more than the individual pieces.

I like the challenge and I’m not gonna hold anyone to it. I’ll put that car together if people really want to see it happen and actually appreciate it for what it is. Otherwise, it’s just wasted effort. But at the end of the day, I only need one 355. The final selling price when it is all said and done will have to reflect all the work, thought, and luck that goes into it. Market-wise, it will probably be a better car than my rosso 355 due to all genuine Ferrari parts.

I honestly feel the 355 is the only V8 Ferrari I need. Even possibly the only Ferrari I need, but I’ll gladly take an F40 :) if I ever hit the lotto. But for the car to check all boxes, the performance has to be there. Originality or genuine OE Ferrari parts is not really my concern although I want it all to look OE and subtle enough from the outside. Carbon fiber bumpers, hood, engine lid, even the whole damn undertray. Whatever it takes to get weight down and power up, but done in as visually discreet and tasteful way possible.

Most people don’t understand how good a 355 can be as a road-going sports car. Enthusiasts constantly chase for perfection buying the latest and greatest only to find performance is improved but connection to the car and drive is lessened or the cars simply are getting uglier :). You never really get the perfect car. Especially, with Ferraris. Personally, I feel more money has been wasted that way versus trying to build a car with a solid base up to your specific needs and standards.

Just my 2 cents :).

308 GTB, INTMD8, MAD828 and 2 others like this.