A request for Rob... | FerrariChat

A request for Rob...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by cohiba_man, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I know this was beaten to death on the old board, but I was wondering if it would be possible to see if there is support for a devoted business section in offtopic, its own forum for legal and business/ entreprenurial/ financial questions. Maybe you could post a poll and see if people are interested because I think it would be awesome, and I bet others will agree with me.

John

2. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I think that would be a cool off topic category

3. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    maybe we could call it, say... legalbusinessentreprenurialfinancialferrarichat.com

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  5. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Very interested.

6. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

TOTALLY AGREE!!! Tons of expertise here and invaluable advice non ferrari related. Plus it'll give me somewhere to bug people and keep rob off my arse.

7. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Excellent idea. Have gotten lots of good advice here over the years and have been able to give a little as well. A business section would be a great place to use as a sounding board and might foster relationships that can be beneficial to all.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Just not sure what to do...

1) Leave it as is. Y'all shouldn't be using FC as your EVERYTHING board anyway. :D

2) Create a Business folder within OT.

3) Break out Off Topic like "International" is. Have an Off Topic category heading and then various forums under it.

Don't expect anything soon, we have to talk this one out a ways. Many want me to get rid of OT all together.

9. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I would think option 2 is best, but of course option 1 has served us well so far, but some of us (like me) mainly come to off topic (from general) for the business talk, because the people here are really some of the most knowledgeable on any internet board.

10. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

I'd hate to see you get rid of OT. :( While Ferraris are the core passion here, anytime you get a group of like minded individuals together the converstion will flow different directions. That's just expected and OT provides an outlet for that without cluttering up GFD.

11. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not sure if option 2 or 3 would be better. I think 3 might make more sense because that way you wouldnt have to sift trhough all the things you dont really care about in off-topic and jsut get right to what you thought was a more interresting subject in off-topic. Just my .02 cents

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I like the idea of the business folder... my only worry is that I've been to some boards with 40+ folders and it's nauseating. On one hand I'd like to not have to sift through for certain things, on the other hand sometimes certain posts you weren't looking for catch your eye and you find something new, a funny joke, etc.

If you implement it though, then we can move to the next phase and start implementing a new F-Chat Handshake. It will be wicked-cool :D.

13. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    LMAO :D

14. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    We should greet each other by just saying "Forza Ferrari" to each other. That be cool.

15. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Or as my good friend Darth always says, "The Forza's strong with this one."

DL

16. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I agree that the users of this board are very business savvy. Although I do see how this could be abused.

Having a business only off topic section would be wonderful at first. The potential problem is that a ton of people eventually hear about the section and join only to take advantage of the wonderful information here.

By joining, unsavory types can post misinformation and generally cause a steep decline in the usefulness of the business section(think people advertising non stop like they do on other boards).

17. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Good point John, I didn't think about that.

18. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I strongly agree that a business section is a great idea. There are far too many successful businessmen gathered here over a mutual interest to let it go to waste. Like I've told Rob, this is thing better than golf. We just have to be careful how we implement it so that it doesn't go south.

As for the Off-Topic section. Why eliminate it? Do we want all of that off -topic banter to spill over into the GFD section? Besides, if you're not interested, just don't look at it. Plain and simple.

19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Suggested names for the subsection:
    Back-scratchers
    Boodle
    Grease
    Nepotism