458 - Speed Sensor / Gear box | FerrariChat

458 Speed Sensor / Gear box

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458coupe, Feb 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458coupe

458coupe Rookie

Feb 5, 2022
    My battery recently needed to be replaced on my 2012 458 Coupe. I never had a problem with my car. The dealership called me and said a code came up and that my speed sensor would need to be replaced for $52,000 or they can replace the gearbox for $11,000. I never had any lights appear on the dashboard indicating this. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Find another dealer.

3. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    Agree with Wthensler. This is the ONLY reason i've kept the new power warranty for this ridiculous factory defect transmission that they should be covering warranty or not. What's very strange though is everyone ive read thats gotten that failure has the transmission lamp come on. I think you should just go to another dealer or since it sounds like your out of warranty maybe a good independent.

458coupe likes this.
  4. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Do you or they put the extra 0 in there? You mean $5,200 or $11,000, right?

docster likes this.
  5. 458coupe

458coupe Rookie

Feb 5, 2022
    No

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    That price is obscene, replacing the entire thing i believe is around 30k. Oh and theres a few shops that specialize in the rebuilds. I believe the sensor is around 1800 and they can fix it pretty easily. Theres even a few dealers who can do it at nowhere near the cost. If you do a quick search its been discussed and there are both independent and F dealers named who'll do the repair/rebuild

7. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    If they'll sell you a brand new gearbox and install it for $11k, I'm tempted to order one and keep it in the attic until I need it. :-D

8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think he mixed up the prices of the repair vs the whole gear box.
    I'm guessing it was supposed to be $52k for the whole assembly, vs $11k for replacing the sensor.
    I have heard of prices along the lines of $35k for transmission replacement, or $7k for the sensor replacement.
    For now, I just pray that my car doesn't become a victim of this any time soon.

SD455TA likes this.
  9. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    My Car had a clutch temp sensor come on.

When it went in for repair they ran a full diagnostic online to Italy. The factory picked up an underlying issue with the CCP too. They suggested it be replaced.

I have seen the actually online reports, they were screen shot and sent to me.

Just ask for those. If it’s been detected by the factory like mine I’d be pretty comfortable it’s not the dealer taking you for a ride.

It looks like this. This was their reply when asked what to do with the underlying fault that was detected.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    …..has anyone ever filed a class action lawsuit for what appears to be a latent defect that could effect safety? Just asking, not suggesting.

Widebody_Don and 458coupe like this.