Radiator restoration - how important to keep markings? | FerrariChat

Radiator restoration - how important to keep markings?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stasha, Feb 9, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    This is an 84 Mondi QV. I have the radiator out for other reasons, and figured I might as well have it leak tested and flushed out.
    In the past, whenever I have radiators tested and flushed, any markings tend to be lost, whether by the chemical process or by the shop respraying the entire unit.

Below are the markings on my rad.
    How important is it to retain these markings, and if so, how do I go about preserving these markings?
    Actually, is this an original radiator? ("Espana")
    Thanks.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Cantering1

Cantering1 Karting

Mar 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Miguel A Serrano
    #2 Cantering1, Feb 9, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    I'm a preservationist at heart, and have to say; VERY IMPORTANT. Any car can be "restored", but "preserved" examples are more rare and do command higher valuations if work done on them considers the preservation philosophy in a respectful manner.

Markings (stamped, torque, manufacturing notes) could be recreated, if a really good recreation, which is difficult. Otherwise strive for preservation as long as you can stretch it if driven. "It will be original only once..." and its fun to strive for this goal and do provides some added pride.

Recommend trying to clean via dry ice blasting which if done correctly can mske the part look new a nd not degrade the markings. Keep in ind that back in the 90's a 246 Dino, worth $45k, could have been ruined by dismissing the possible increase of their values; just like could happen to any underappreciated model... Even if unlikely to consider now, imagine some Mondials could be worth $400k if what you do today is well thought out.

MUST READ: https://cdn.ymaws.com/ferrariclubofamerica.org/resource/resmgr/documents/iacpfa/ferrari_preservation_class_p.pdf

OTHER RESOURCES: https://ferrariclubofamerica.org/page/ConcoursDocuments

moysiuan likes this.
  3. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Cantering -- interesting. Thanks.

4. Cantering1

Cantering1 Karting

Mar 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Miguel A Serrano
  5. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Gag, thanks again.
    Right, a conundrum in that this car is not in original condition (repaint, fuse panel replaced with updated model, and defects, and who knows what else will change as these defects are addressed).

I was thinking i could cover the original markings with some sort of protective covering, depending on how the rad was pressure tested and cleaned.

Any experience with cleaning modalities that might require dipping in acid, for instance?

6. Cantering1

Cantering1 Karting

Mar 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Miguel A Serrano
    Discuss and debrief alternatives with whomever you find to do the work, and explain the desire to try to preserve as possible. Do a simple inside flush and soap hand cleaning outside. Many rebuilders, including alternators, and a/c compressors, when not properly debriefed on the goal, could try to do their best based on non-classic cars and detract originality, like blasting, repainting and chanign original bolys, nuts and clamps.

READ: http://tomyang.net/blog/2009/11/16/pressure-testing-my-radiator/

7. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Wow, another great reference.
    Thank you again.

8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The reality is once the radiator is installed, you can not actually see these markings, at least not on my car.

Yours looks to be in pretty good shape. I would think they could just clean out/descale the inside and leave the outside alone. Mask off the markings so they don't get scraped up.

stasha likes this.
  9. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not a bad idea. It kind of has that type of look anyway.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Its kind of hard to find good radiator shops as it is but if you can look around and find one that advertises custom radiators for hot rods, custom's etc at least you will have someone with an appreciation for what you are trying to do. And with luck it wont come back looking like a monkey did the soldering and it got dipped in tar.