Dino restomod | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Dino restomod

Discussion in '206/246' started by npwmd2, Jan 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I love a riposte. Ever fenced Neal? Only badminton I would assume. Possibly 'powder-puff football' ?

Come on Neal, touchy touchy, never thought you'd be upset at your Model T restomod and other assorted truths...
    be a man, and get rude. I like manly rude, unfortunately, I had to learn it the hard way, the likes of which, you have not a clue.

I live in a place where rude, used to be bullets and kidnappings, so I know a bit of this and a bit of that.
    Trust me, I am much more rude than you, in a manly way, not with your words, which are rather weak in the wrist.

I think that Hudson Valley 'posh' living, perhaps too much 'foie gras', silver spoons and all that affectation assortment, has provoked
    a serious bout of Arteriosclerosis, eg. "So, lighten up, updating dino's will happen along with everything else or the cars will not be driven!"

By the way, it is Dino, not dino's (grammatically, as it: 'belongs to dino').

Curiously you mention my Alfa, older than your (sic) dino's, rarer, you haven't a clue as to what it is. And you are right I do not own any (sic) dino's.
    It is a well known fact :rolleyes:

Getting back to your "rude threat", what do you prefer, slaps, fisticuffs, pistols at dawn, sabers, Dirndl (on you, of course), me, Lederhosen.

You are becoming drearily dull, and I recommend you go quietly to Mr. Lee, and restomod your "(sic) dino's" and live happier, albeit a difficult quest.

Regards, Alberto

willrace likes this.
  2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Neil and Alberto,

I know I have never met either of you personally (although Alberto and I have talked many times over the years about meeting up in Houston - but it never seemed to work out), I know YOU BOTH to be Dino guys. Although all of our paths are different in how we got here, we are here together.

I just started a new thread that I think is different than any other before (if that is even possible).

Please take a look. I think it will interest many and possibly breathe some life into the Dino Section.

As I said, I wouldn’t exclude a retro-mod Dino from enjoyment, but would likely never do it to my car, however, I definitely get why some would.

Take a look….

Shawn

Michael Call likes this.
  3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Dont STOP, its most definately given the 246 forum a shot in the arm.

swift53 likes this.
  4. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    #54 npwmd2, Feb 5, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    Technically, Alfredo was Enzo's son's name as everyone knows. His nickname that Enzo used was "Alfredino". Those in the know of which you are not, the dino is not capitalized in the name Alfredino! so that is why I do not capitalize it here!!
    BTW, I had an Alfa spider in HS, loved that car. I know all about Alfa's. Maybe you should know who you are talking to before you open your mouth.
    "Better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubts"

swift53 likes this.
  5. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    dino friends, regretfully I keep on dwelling off the subject of Restomods, a very interesting topic in all things automotive,
    and definitely of great interest to all dino owners, and potentially the other models of all makes, hope not to cause undue grief or insult.
    Hopefully the ones that know me in dinoland, know I mean no harm, like to spar a bit, BUT...here i go again...another dear neal missive.

Geez Neal, technically, morally, creatively, ironically, you just cannot be spoken to, and no, who am I talking to?
    I really do not know, nor do I care much to.

By the way, the story about "Technically, Alfredino" ( not proven?) brought a tear to my eye, did not know about such a tragedy and why
    the poor man named the car after his son, neal.
    Of course, no disrespect to anyone.
    Was Alfredo really Enzo Ferrari's son? News to me and why dino is a "diminutive" of alfredo, or as you so incorrectly put it, dino.

Gee willikers, beaver! You see, proper names are capitalized, even if diminutive like you neal, ooops Neal.
    You are only going by the script on the nose, not yours, the car. No, never mind, it is capitalized, ooopsy daisy. Please go look.

I have arrived at my own conclusions, based on your inane and childish replies, but will not dwelve on them as you are "One In The Know".
    "The knowledge"...Ahhh, London cabbies have more than you.
    In the know of what?

You think (denial) you simply know everything, about Dino, Alfa Romeo (GTA?), Stanguellini (look it up), life, and probably God, who,
    when you were born, mercifully dropped you on your head causing irreparable damage. Ooops!

So what do you know about Alfa Romeo? Everything... wow, we are collectively impressed in Dinoland (dinoland), or at least, I am.
    Please share some unknown information, or at least clever inanities as possible, i.e. Alfa Romeo's daughter, alfetta, diminutive of Alfa,
    but lovingly known at home as alfettina, or you guessed it...tina.

Not even Einstein knew everything, but you knew that, of course, and clearly, reading your questions / posts, about Dino,
    they are just that. Questions. Never have you contributed with a tidbit of knowledge, intelligence or creativeness,
    all that is missing is...everything, to quote George: " about nothing"...

Regarding your previous composition, do you always use quotes from someone else, obviously much brighter than you,
    as you cannot express your own thoughts in a clear manner?
    I would explain it to you in depth, but I don't have the time for the crayons!

Pomposity is your forte, no doubt about it. So what do you propose? Please try to write something coherent, but in your own words.
    Oh, and by the way, I am still waiting for you brilliant show of "rude". Brutal, please, I love manly brutal, even feminine for that matter.
    Surprise the community. Say something intelligent. I dare you.
    Otherwise, go back to your practice and do what your patients (quite) assume you do.

Regards, Alberto

TonyL likes this.
  6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Shawn, after all there is the fellow that rebodied an entire 246 in ally, and no one made a stir of it, yet a restomod,
    and a drop dead body at that. If an Alfa GTa lost almost 400 Lbs +/-, by this simple operation, it could be spectacular to emulate,
    and all done in great taste. Some might disapprove ;), as it is not in the spirit of 'updating' Dino in any way.

Definitely with you on this topic, and definitely looking forward to one of these days getting together in Houston. :)

Kind regards,
    Alberto

7. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    I want to keep my cars as Enzo Ferrari and William Lyons wanted them to be. No hotrod engine in my Dino, and no disc brakes or all-synchro gearbox on my XK120. I want to enjoy the original character.

Ribolla_67 likes this.
  8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Brilliant Ed! That is exactly spot on.

Kind regards, Alberto

9. Terry groves

Terry groves Karting

Oct 21, 2014
    Suffolk
    Full Name:
    Terry Groves
    Love this

10. Ribolla_67

Ribolla_67 Karting

Sep 6, 2016
    Austria
    Great statement - may I disagree with you in one single point: We love to drive our classics over really challenging alpine passes "con brio", so I have upgraded my Jag with vented XJ12 series III discs (invisibly), btw made in Italy by Brembo.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

swift53 likes this.
  11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Amen.

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Ed, you are a purist! What is the problem with un-sychronized gearboxes? No men around that love Moss boxes?
    After all, all us truck driving (racing) guys learned how to shift without a clutch on unsynchro trucks.
    How else would you shift a Colotti race-box in an Alfa GTam?
    Well, if you wanted advantage in your shifting speed, you did just that. Careful with those dogs...

Alfaholics, by the way, is a great outfit, but single-handedly, managed to 'bastardize' an already perfect car.
    The 'R' is a hot rod with a Carbon Alfa body. A wannabee. That could be an option on Dino or a Daytona, or why not a TdF. or a TR? :eek:
    Now, if you or Chris Rhea as JWS did, make a lovely sharknose replica, well, kudos. That, is not so easy.

RUF, Singer, et al, are doing it for the $$$, not purism, yes. great and fantastic pieces of kit, but real?
    Sorry they are not, all they really are, is bragging rights. The younger generation, if trained by us old fogeys, will love the cars
    as they were/are. My kids would never change anything, and I am very proud of that. They are 'purists'.
    Ohhh, I have a Singer ....fill in the blank, and you don't. Neenah, neenah...
    Of course if that's you trip, good for you. I will not object one bit, and is your God given right to even change sex, if that's your trip.

Once I asked here, if Daytona ever came with "gold wheels", as in the era they were available.
    The lambasting I received was equal to none. One fellow even said to paint the wheels pink. A true 'fashionista'.

The other day, riding with a friend, in a REAL 427 Cobra, a very sincere, polite, and honest person approached us and said:
    "Wow, what a great replica"... My friend told him it was a 'Factory 5'. The fellow glowingly replied, "I knew it".

I will put 16" Avons on Dino Campy lookalikes for the track, megaphones et al. but after, take them off. My pleasure, my fun, my car.
    I bought a 328QV motor with that thought in mind...nahhhhh. Great investment by the way :)

I am a firm believer of originality. Chrome if original, painted if originally so, no powder coating, puhleeze. Period.

Regards, Alberto

13. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    Alberto, you need to learn to express yourself. So, are you for or against mods :)

14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hello Ken,

Thank you for the suggestion. After all English is not my mother tongue, but it is my last one, thus my lack of cohesion and clarity+/- ;)

To make things clear(er), if not quite clear enough, and to dispel any myths:

"I am a firm believer of originality. Chrome if original, painted if originally so, no powder coating, puhleeze. Period."

After all, you are one that does not buy Dino Battery Hold Downs at Rock Auto, no?

Hope that explains my rambling. :)

Regards, Alberto

15. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    Well, I too am a believer in originality - except for the occasional improvement to maintain drivability, (a gear reduction starter buried below the exhaust, a battery cutoff switch beside the radiator or a Lunenition ignition under the distributor cap).

swift53 likes this.
  16. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    All aboard Ken!

Regards, Alberto

17. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I have known Alois Ruf for over 20 years. He is one of the most passionate and authentic car enthusiasts that I know. His Porsche restorations are among the best in the world. Far surpassing the factory for correctness. He has restored and built cars for the Porsche family. His business is built on passion. I designed his new CTR and SCR. Those are not Porsches. They are Ruf’s with their own chassis numbers. 90% + of the new CTR and SCR is designed and built by Ruf including the full carbon tub and pushrod suspension. Even the engine block is Ruf. He built his business on his personal passion and drive. His wife Estonia and him own an original Dino that they use during the summer. They were personal friends of Aldo Brovarone. Bravarone designed the Ruf SK Spyder and Coupe.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Spider2400, -K1-, NürScud and 3 others like this.
  18. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I use stiff foam under my wiper arms to keep the blades off the windshield. Using corks from a wine bottle is a nice touch!

NürScud likes this.
  19. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud likes this.
  20. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #71 swift53, Feb 13, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    Brilliant! Was not aware of Ruf's hidden talents, and of course, your contributions.
    Good for you Freeman...:)

Yet, I still stand on my 'leave well enough alone'.
    New cars, great!
    Saw the new "Alpine" continuation, a new car, same name, nothing to do with the previous.
    Bugatti, comes to mind. Would prefer the (any) original one anytime. Same name, that's all.

Regards, Alberto

21. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    PS. In the Ruf museum, I see wonderful originals. Great!

22. ArchS

ArchS Rookie

Dec 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    arch stanton
    I'm looking for a replica dino.....so I can do whatever I want with it. If anybody has a good one (or a pile of junk real dino) let me know, thanks.

TonyL likes this.
  23. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hello Arch, neat request, a touch difficult if I may say, for a 1st post.

Regards, Alberto

24. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    PM me

Tony