430 - Kill switch in the trunk | FerrariChat

430 Kill switch in the trunk

Discussion in '360/430' started by Andrie, Feb 13, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    So today, after 6 years of ownership, I just realized the kill switch inside the trunk of my car doesn’t do anything.

I am preparing my car for shipping and turning the kill switch off and pulling the key expecting battery connection to ceased. To my surprise the trunk light still on! So I opened the driver door and the pump primed! So now I’m confused what is that actually do and if someone has the schematic of the kill switch wiring so I can fix the damn thing!

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #2 Qavion, Feb 13, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    Have you forgotten to disconnect a battery charger (I don’t think a trickle charger would have the power to run the F1 pump)?

Do you have any aftermarket stereo equipment wired directly to the battery terminals?

Of course, the kill switch may be broken.

I’m not sure if a diagram would be useful. Just remember which wire goes where if you replace it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Need4Spd likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    From what i recall it is in the negative line, put an ohm meter over those 2 contacts and operate the switch to see if it opens

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Mike, it might not be a good idea to put an ohmmeter across the switch contacts as one side has a voltage on it (albeit a negative one). In general, it's usually best to do resistance checks with power removed from a circuit (In this case with the battery negative terminal disconnected). Ohmmeters use their internal battery to measure resistance. Adding external voltages could confuse (or break) the ohmmeter.

A voltage check might be better (each terminal to earth). Some multimeters have an amp clamp which should tell you straight away if current is flowing in the negative lead (no disassembly required), especially with the F1 pump running.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca-sca-clamp-meter---digital/343253.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAmKiQBhClARIsAKtSj-lMK9mPMGAeuS0TbBZWBIA4dB-mGf91frXWc4hpOYH4H2_7S9gf2ZUaArIuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bob in Makiki and EastMemphis like this.
  6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You are measuring a break in a line, ie the switch action so there are no volts. If it was a switch with 12 volts on 1 side and the negative on the other you would have a problem but as this is in one line there is no diff in volts

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    You may be right. It’s difficult to visualise when the meter voltage and resistance are included…. and the polarity of the ohmmeter can change.

I just saw the ohmmeter as potentially completing an open circuit, causing current to flow through the car’s electronics and through the battery and resistance of the meter.

I don’t know how different digital ohmmeters are from moving coil ohmmeters are with respect to the effect they have on a circuit.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    To get a voltmeter to give a dc reading it has to have what is called a pd or potential difference. Measuring 2 points in the same line and the pd is zero but if you connect to 12 volt positive dc and to the chassis you have 12 to zero, connect both probes to 12 volt +. and the pd is still zero

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #9 Qavion, Feb 14, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    I kind of understand what you're saying, but voltmeters, ammeters and ohmmeters are 3 different beasts. If you put any device across the cutoff switch contacts, you're going to get a current flowing through that device (meter, or whatever), especially if the switch contacts are open.
    Simplistically, an ohmmeter is a small battery and a meter coil and whatever internal and external resistances there are (in series). And presents something like this to the car's electrical system:

Regarding the ohmmeter internal battery, I don't know its polarity or how much internal resistance it presents to the circuit or if it is upstream or downstream of the coil of the meter. I also don't know if a digital multimeter presents a completely different circuit to the switch contacts, but on first impressions, you're using the ohmmeter as an ammeter with the cutoff switch open and you're trying to run the car's entire electrical system through the tiny leads of the ohmmeter.

10. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Anyone verified that the kill switch really kills everything. Cause I tried to start it with the kill switch off, while the light is still on the car would not start like it’s on weak battery. Fortunately we he car didn’t blow up. Turning the kill switch on restore to normal.

11. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    No, I don’t have aftermarket anything. All stock

Qavion likes this.
  12. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    My kill switch definitely kills power. I have to remember to open my doors before killing power or the windows don’t drop to clear the spider top.

13. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    According to what Qavion posted it’s just break a ground. Unless I have something else grounded somewhere to prevent this break in power….

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Some owners have reported that there is a small extra wire on the battery earth terminal. We haven't figured out what that is yet. On some 360's there is an alarm siren earth wire on the battery earth terminal. However, it's not as if you could run something like a pump through this wire.

So you have no trickle or battery charger plugged in (and turned on)?

The F1 pump needs numerous chassis earths to run (and a powered F1 TCU). It just doesn't make sense. Do you have a standard F1 pump relay or a smart relay from Scud-Ing?

15. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    I don’t have the charger hooked up as I was trying to change the battery as well. I run standard relays

Qavion likes this.
  16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Time to break out the multimeter ;)

Do you have any additional wires on the negative battery terminal?

17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    My uk car has aux earths on the battery clamp, uk cars all have trackers so might be related.

Qavion likes this.
  18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If this switch is in the negative line how would it kill everything, you need to have a component to have a earth direct to the body for it to be live, remembering the live is still connected. Seems odd that they dont put it in the 12+ line.

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    You would have to put it really close to the battery. The positive wires go to the extremities of the car on numerous branches. If you had the cutoff switch in the frunk, all the positive wires would have to go to the frunk first. The F430 appears to have at least 2 large wires on the positive terminal.

Remember that actual electron flow goes from negative to positive (opposite to the "conventional current flow" depicted in diagrams), so a "positive" terminal has no extra significance.

20. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    I want to thank Qavion. I found that small extra negative wire. I took it off and ground it to the body and all seem to be fine. The kill switch now works as it supposed to be.

To kill the ground is actually the best way to kill electrical to the car as the whole body is the ground and +12 has many branches.
    The only problem with this is this only works when the car is dead, as the alternator is naturally grounded to the body so when the engine is running the ground is provided by alternator

Qavion and EastMemphis like this.
  21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Still seems odd that that wire would let the pump run (especially if it's in the siren circuit). Note that if it is the siren wire, the separate earth is probably to keep the siren battery charged up with the cutoff switch on.

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    At some point during F430 production, the kill switch was deleted. Almost sounds like you got half a set of "yes, put it in", and "no, the wiring is different".

23. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I don't think that is the case. I have one of the last F430's produced in 2009 and it has a kill switch in the front, it just needs to be "turned" using a Torx bit instead of a lever.

24. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    My 2007 has no kill switch at all,just a hole with a factory plug.

25. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Mine has a plug, but you pull the plug open and there is a torx screw which is the kill switch.