Wanted - Manual Gearbox Entry-Level Sports Car for My Son | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Wanted Manual Gearbox Entry-Level Sports Car for My Son

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by J-P, Jan 31, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I had a E46 M3 cabrio, and I would never give a 16 year kid old that car. "Drive it like you stole it" fits the bill when you drive a M3...

technom3 likes this.
  2. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I got my 16yr old a VW Toureg...absolute tank....which, since he is still alive I appreciate...crap vehicle relibility wise though. After he smacked a few things with it, got him a truck. Wrecked that 12 months later and on to a Chevy Colorado truck. Hasn't cracked that one yet but he's 23. Good Luck.

F456M, vrsurgeon and 375+ like this.
  3. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    I gave my 17 year old an Estoril Blue E36 M3 Convertible last year after he was constantly borrowing my wife's car (a Porsche Cayman) when I wasn't around. She had a tough time saying no and he knew it. I bought it for $2,300 and put $1,200 into new seats and a bluetooth stereo, and it has been great. The car itself has been nearly flawless with 135k miles now on it. It is neither fast nor slow. Perfect for a teenager. Classic car in a classic color.

By the way, if anyone has a hardtop laying around, I'm in the market!

bjwhite and technom3 like this.
  4. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Miata. Nothing else. True classic sports car. Beyond incredible reliability and ease of service allowing him to learn this critical skill. It is a car with infinite possibilities. He can leave it stock and enjoy learning real driving techniques at very reasonable speeds or modify it to expand its envelope or appearance.

Nothing else compares.

bjwhite and classic308 like this.
  5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I too late realized that the OP is looking for an actual car and put this in the CLASSIFIEDS. He instead got pages and pages of opinions.

Sorry! :D

F456M likes this.
  6. veelangs

veelangs Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2021
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Vee
    well sometimes you need a bit of sanity check, even in the crazy land that is fchat haha

7. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
  8. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Please point me in the direction of sub $2,500 E36 M3's

I'll buy 10. Thanks!

ZF123, davem, bjwhite and 2 others like this.
  9. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was thinking the same thing! Maybe he missed a decimal point, since $25K would make sense?

10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Are you saying an E36 M3 is not a fast car...?

19633500GT likes this.
  11. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Which teenagers want to run around in that piece of soap...

ForzaV12 and k wright like this.
  12. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Which teenagers want to run around in that piece of soap...

My take on the styling as well! However in the mountains near me plenty of them have these cars. The other car they seek is the Subie/Toyota rear drive car.

13. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    Seriously? Get a NB, slap some bolt on fender flares and a huge wing on it, put some RPF1’s with white letter Michelin’s on the corners, and tint the headlights yellow. Boom instant GT3 quality looks for like $2000 if you get the wheels used.
    Real car teens still love miatas because they’re cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, and cheap for a massive performance and non-performance aftermarket.

bjwhite and k wright like this.
  14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    For a teenager, just having a car at his or her disposal is luxury. But real boys want six cylinder BMWs etc. I also feel a midern car is alot safer than a Miata. But I get all your points about reliability. It is also a question of what a Ferrari owner want to have his son driving around in.

15. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Lots of good opinions. As a previously 16yr old kid… don’t go crazy on power. But also give him some input if you want to stir the excitement.
    My daughter wants a Jeep or a Miata. Or my Mustang GT. I told her she had to have 4 seats, but preferably not four door. Had to have ABS and airbags. I prefer manual. No convertibles.
    She’s been eying 2011+ mustang V6’s. We will see where her grades are. I’d like to buy the car around 15 and let her work on it and we take drives until she has her license.

k wright likes this.
  16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  17. sammyf

sammyf Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    I have a manual 2002 M3 Coupe for Sale. Carbon Black/Black 116k Miles, Clean Title and Clean CarFax. Asking $34k