Advice on selling a collection... | FerrariChat

Advice on selling a collection...

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by halr75, Feb 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. halr75

halr75 Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Hoping someone here might be able to point my friend in the right direction with regards to best approach to selling a large mixed bag collection of model cars and associated paraphernalia. His father, recently passed, was an ardent F1 fan and a collector of car models. The collection is located in southern Colorado.

Any opinions/experience on selling as a collection vs. cataloguing and attempting to identify any more valuable items?

Has anyone used https://www.qualitydiecasttoys.com/ in the past to sell a collection (not sure if they would be interested or not given the rather narrow focus they have and UK location) or http://www.dnrcollectibles.com/ ?

Any thoughts/opinions/advice would be warmly received.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

jm2 likes this.
  2. spivy

spivy Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Newton, MA
    Full Name:
    Gene Spivak
    I am collector of 1/43 Ferrari hand builds. If he has any models from BBR, MR, Looksmart or others, I can help you with values or purchase.

3. halr75

halr75 Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Thanks Spivy, brand names I have given him to watch out for as he begins the onerous task of cataloguing are:

Die Cast - Quartzo and Minichamps
    Han built - BBR, HIRO, Tameo, AMR, Marsh, Meri, MG Models, MR Collection, Provence Moulange, Renaissance, SMTS, SRC, TRON

If he comes across any suitable for discussion I will point him your way, in my friends, "the pictures hardly scratch the surface'!

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Start by taking a complete inventory of the collection.

BigTex, halr75 and Rosey like this.
  5. Bill in Atlanta

Bill in Atlanta Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2004
    Nice Collection
    Looks like a lot of VW's
    I'd start on the samba.com

halr75 likes this.
  6. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    I've often thought about this as I claim to be working on downsizing my collection knowing my family won't have any idea of what's valuable and how to dispose of a collection.

I do see a few retail shops routinely advertise that they buy collections. Of course you would need a detailed inventory listing the model mfg., scale and if possible the product number (for instance Minichamps Autoart, etc. produce multiple variants, some worth more than others).

Having the original packaging also makes a huge difference in value.

Replicarz.com is one of the retailers that buys collections and remarkets die cast collectibles. I've dealt with them in the past and believe they'll give an honest valuation.

375+ and halr75 like this.
  7. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I would never use or recommend Replicarz.

halr75 likes this.
  8. halr75

halr75 Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Lusso, poor prior encounter?

9. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes. I and some of my clients have had poor experiences selling to and doing business with Replicarz. They are ok for just buying what they offer, but as far as selling to them as a collector or as a business (mfg.) I would run the other way.

halr75 likes this.
  10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well sadly, SOMEONE is going to have to sort it, with knowledge of Motorsports..

For instance the picture of the Land Speed record Car and the model of it adjacent are a "set", post it off to FB Marketplace or EBay get a Seller presence going.

Consolidate the 1/24 F1s Sell as Lot
    Same for Indy Cars, consolidate and sell as lot..

and so forth.

Condolences on his passing.
    This is the best way to monetize and liquidate..

Will a unicorn get away less than fully valued, possible but those all look like readily available retail issues, I se many of them I own.

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    **** it IS mostly VWS!

But looking at the pictures as for "What I would pick up" if an Estate Sale, all the Ferrari1/43rd Bang and Brumms along that one shelf, at say $20 each.

IF those little cars to the left are HO Scale electric slot cars, you have hit Pay Dirt, at say $50 to $65 a piece.

Looks like some 1:18 F1s, those will bring nice return.

All those VWss......sigh
    maybe an add on Pelican Parts in a Porsche market place???

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think an Inventory by Marque, car model (BUG etc.) and scale is inevitable, here.

Quickly, I wouldn't bog down too much in ID #s and so forth, then lump them together by brand or manufacturer ten at a time.
    You can actually post them all in FREE Ad Section here if you keep the Group Sell Ask $$ below 100 per offering.

Find a teenager and pay them by the hour, to post the ads.

13. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Where in Southern Colorado?