Michael Masi gets fired/replaced? | Page 66 | FerrariChat

Michael Masi gets fired/replaced?

Discussion in 'F1' started by surfwolf, Dec 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    You forgot he didn't finsih strong last races, let Hamiton come back.

2. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Then why change the procedures? Why not just change the director, instead?

If the procedures were "very clear" and simply broken or violated by a rogue director (and the conspiratorial stewards who supported him) ... then why do the procedures themselves need to change?

Bas likes this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Well, I am quite happy with the outcome, so far. The FIA has been diligent for once.

Masi is sacked, that's the main thing for me.

I don't know how that VAR stuff will work. If they work out new unlapping rules it will be perfect.

Mohammed Ben Sulayem is quite a guy !!! He has done more in a couple of months than Jean Todt during his whole mandate.

kraftwerk likes this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Yes and no one on the planet was thinking this would be changed if Masi was removed from his current role. Max was never the issue in the larger sense or ever was an issue. Not sure why this is being posted at all. The issue was always the FIA and its personnel related to Race Director and how that is structured, rules use/clarification and team communication with that function.

subirg, gsfent, william and 3 others like this.
  5. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    #JUSTICEFORMASI #BRINGBACKMASI #MASIINOURHEARTS

Senna1994 and ingegnere like this.
  6. DF1

Provide proof of manipulation. Posting further conspiracy is easy. I have a friend who saw black MERCEDES sedan in Monaco today and was seen in Geneva last night lol. Should I go on. POST PROOF!

kraftwerk likes this.
  7. DF1

FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem's proposal in full
    Firstly, to assist the race director in the decision-making process, a Virtual Race Control Room will be created. Alike the Video Assistance Referee (VAR) in football, it will be positioned in one of the FIA Offices as a backup outside the circuit. In real-time connection with the FIA F1 race director, it will help to apply the sporting regulations using the most modern technological tools.

Secondly, direct radio communications during the race, currently broadcast live by all TVs, will be removed in order to protect the race director from any pressure and allow him to take decisions peacefully. It will still be possible to ask questions to the race director, according to a well-defined and non-intrusive process.

Thirdly, unlapping procedures behind safety car will be reassessed by the F1 Sporting Advisory Committee and presented to the next F1 Commission prior to the start of the season.

And finally, I would like to inform you that a new race management team will be put in place starting in Barcelona for the test session.

Niels Wittich and Eduardo Freitas will act alternatively as Race Director, assisted by Herbie Blash as permanent senior advisor.

Michael Masi, who accomplished a very challenging job for three years as Formula 1 race director following Charlie Whiting, will be offered a new position within the FIA.

william likes this.
  8. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    BTW, the LOL was obviously lost on you…

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bas likes this.
  9. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #1634 ingegnere, Feb 17, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    I’m not in court so…. (f…ill in the blank) but if you can’t see the “coincidence” of the FIA bending to Merc demands the day before the “blessed return” maybe you should at least pose yourself some questions about if you are seeing the full picture. In any case, I couldn’t care less but just funny to see how people have taken HAM’s “battle” to heart.

werewolf likes this.
  10. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Thoughts and prayers..,

Senna1994, jpalmito and furoni like this.
  11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yap, he's ****ed up already!!!

12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    We have a saying around here wich could be translated like this "the more you get down, the more we can see your arse"...i guess it perfectly aplies to the FIA and it's new leader....

ingegnere likes this.
  13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..AS for the new race directors, i know a bit about Eduardo, he's got tons of experience as race director, from Karting, to ETCC, FIA GT, WTCC and WEC, so i expect him to do a good job in F.1.

ingegnere likes this.
  14. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Sounds like there's plenty of reasons for an "asterisk" connected to this recent FIA announcement ;)

ingegnere likes this.
  15. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Wow...that's pretty much what I expected from the outset (not the names, just the actions). There was no way to keep Masi in the position as any decision he would make would be harshly criticized going forward, while the specter of Abu Dhabi would remain fresh for as long as he remained in the position. While I'm certain the howling of fans and social media incessant posting had some effect on the decision, I think the comments of the drivers during the season expressing confusion about rules and regulations was far more impactful (some were supporting Masi the last two weeks, but their words following some of the GP's painted a far different picture).

I'm going to guess that the changing of the unlapping rules involves a) when an incident occurs, b) how many laps remain, and c) triggers for a red flag situation versus safety car. Not allowing the cars to unlap in Abu Dhabi was probably one of the limited options at that point in the race, but the better move would have been a red flag restart...similar to Baku.

16. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Be resolute and consistent. That's really all it takes (well, having the experience to know what decision to make is important also)

furoni likes this.
  17. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    You put a asterisk on Masi yet?

18. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    Firing Masi does nothing for the sport. Like how is having 2 less experienced guys sharing the work during the season a better solution?

The biggest flaw in all of F1's procedures is during the Red Flag and it isn't even being addressed. Stop letting teams work on their cars during the red flag, unless it's a tire change due to a significant change in weather conditions. Red Flags should simply freeze the race and there shouldnt be any unfair winners or losers in the process, and then throwing a red flag in a situation like Abu Dhabi would have been a no brainer.

19. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I believe that the re-assignment of Masi should come as no surprise to anyone but I think a little perspective is called for. First of all regardless of the direction the FIA took this is a contentious enough issue that any decision can be spun and interpreted to support any narrative you like. Whether or not Masi lost his job or whether or not the rules are changed both sides can easily say 'see that is proof of this or that'. I for one am not going to play that game because I think it is disingenuous and offers little certainty of anything.

Truth is that there is a lot of moving parts to what is happening and that we will never be made privy to any of them. These invariably fuel rumors of collusion and conspiracy theories which I am never a big fan of. That said I genuinely believe that there has been a lot of back room maneuvering taking place particularly between the FIA and Mercedes to keep all sides happy. Regardless Masi found himself in a position where maintaining the role of Race Director was just too controversial regardless of whether he was right or not.

20. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Great post ^^ from a reasonable guy.

I've certainly pushed back on many of your posts, but that's because ALL of your posts tend to be worthy of a thoughtful response. My apologies for any offense(s) ...

Nuvolari likes this.
  21. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Im just happy the debate can end about rules 15.3 14.2 blah blah as FIA determined that the rules were broken.

william likes this.
  22. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I’m quite impressed with the FIAs set of announcements. They have realised that the 2021 arrangement of allowing a weak race director to be influenced by teams, with no back up to assist him is blatantly ineffective. I suspect that, as part of their assessment of events, the fia also reviewed other events in the season - eg Silverstone, and concluded that multiple errors or inconsistencies were the responsibility of the officials and their set up. The new regulations and personnel seem to make it harder for teams to manipulate the thinking of the officials, and also deal with weak individuals. It is key to increase the degree of separation of the officials from the competitors. This has been done. I believe it is a good step towards a fairer system and is a good first step in restoring the credibility of the FIA. Time to refocus on the 2022 season and move on.

23. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Masi fired - what a suprise. The FIA did not have the courage to revert his decisions in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (which would p*ss off the huge Verstappen fan base) but could not neglect the angry huge Hamilton fan base either. And guess who was an easy target for sacrificing as an scapegoat?

This is just a farcical political decision.

24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    When you listen to eduardo speak to drivers (live on TV) he's very articulate and explains everything so clearly. Very good guy. Reminds me of a rugby ref really.

25. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Now some newspapers say that Masi wasn't sacked as a race director, but in fact that he resigned his role.

If true, that was a sensible decision; his position had become untenable.

Reversing the result of the Abu Dhabi GP wasn't possible; it would have completely discredited the FIA and damaged F1.

jpalmito and ricksb like this.