Official Daytona Pics | Page 115 | FerrariChat

Official Daytona Pics

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Iceman.1, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Once again includes some replicas.

Marcel Massini

2. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Are you at all surprised?

3. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Nothing surprises me anymore in the "Ferrari" world.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds, turbo-joe and readplays like this.
  4. pantera gr4

pantera gr4 Rookie

Mar 18, 2006
    Paris
    #2854 pantera gr4, Feb 21, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    thanks a lot you two. yes I forgot to post the list. I think we will have new daytonas this year.
    some replicas? all will be replicas! no ? any infos ? thank you !

5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    14429 is not a replica.

Marcel Massini

pantera gr4 and of2worlds like this.
  6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I believe I have already, but it was years ago.
    I have plenty of photos of “it” from different cars, including several non-repainted/-restored examples and those I’ve worked on over the years, but it might take a while to dig some up as my photo files are currently (or still) in quite disorganized.
    OTOH, if you happen to have a picture of one in your or any other Daytona easily available, you’re also welcome to share.

While seeing whether it’s present or not may require getting on one’s knees and looking under the front of the car, far below the left bumper, at the very back/bottom of the front valance where it drops down a bit at the center of valance.
    Small area, maybe a size of 2-3 inches in diameter, which shows evidence of the panel having been hammered down with a ball peen type hammer to provide a relief for the lower left corner of the radiator right above it.

In the meanwhile, I’ve cropped Marcel’s photo to focus on expected the location of the said “Bump/Blister”.
    When present, it should be visible in the area in the middle of this picture, at the back/bottom of the (front) valance, between right where the sheet metal drops down a little and the small white reflection of light seen on the black painted section in this photo.

In some cases when it has been (unknowingly ?) deleted/removed, e.g. straightened and smoothed out, one can often still find evidence of the original hammer marks on the top side of that panel, right below the radiator lower left corner.

I’ve seen cases in which the radiator lower tank corner was actually rubbing or touching against the valance panel sheet metal or cases in which various efforts have been employed to alleviate/prevent it from rubbing/touching after results of the “accidental”(?) elimination of the “Bump/Blister” were discovered later on, during re-assembly
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    No, the “Bump/Blister”, if you will, is or should be located on the very left side of that entire lowered section of the valance, at the very bottom, below the inner end of the left bumper and where the sheet metal ends and front structures of the chassis become exposed/visible.
    I’ll try to find a picture from my files a.s.a.p.

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #2859 miurasv, Feb 21, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    You really need to use some (red or any colour) arrows, that you maligned my use of on my posts that prove Mr Glickenhaus's P4 is a replica, ;) to point out exactly what you're talking about, as nobody at the moment has a clue. :rolleyes:

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    dgunn365 likes this.
  11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Maybe you really need to go back to your favorite temper tantrum thread and leave serious discussions of cars to those who actually have hands-on experience along with their own photos of them, etc. ;)

12. pantera gr4

pantera gr4 Rookie

Mar 18, 2006
    Paris
  13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    of2worlds likes this.
  14. pantera gr4

pantera gr4 Rookie

Mar 18, 2006
    Paris
    BJK likes this.
  15. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Just ran across these again, Alfred Browning Parker home designed for John "Buck" Fulp, who raced under the N.A.R.T. banner. Still living in Anderson, SC. We. have all three types of wheels, but left these on from our trip to the FCA Daytona meet I think in 2017?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

pantera gr4 and colombo2cam like this.
  16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ house destroyed and never to be rebuilt?

17. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Any updated pics of that one off alloy 'barn find' from a few years ago? Always wondered how that restoration turned out.

18. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    No, that picture was taken after the fire. We had just landed from the Italian Car Guy Tour when a phone call alerted us that the heat censors were gong off. Damage is mitigated. We were rebuilding when I asked if the updated Hvac system could sustain a commercial operation, and the answer was no, so we stopped. For long term vitality of the home, it probably should be residential /commercial as it is on 70 acres on I85. We want the house preserved so it will be there for the next 60 years (1964) and this is one way to ensure this will happen, develop it as residential/commercial. We have had offers but have not marketed it, something we should do. Buck kept some interesting cars there and at his nearby boyhood home, we still hear stories of his exploits, like racing his 250TR through he town being chased by the local polices etc. He owned an impressive list of cars back in the day.

http://hdurivage.com/ten-things-to-love-about-architect-alfred-browning-parker/

https://www.amazon.com/Architecture-Alfred-Browning-Parker-Modernist/dp/0813036771

19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    IIRC Marcel mentioned recently that the car has not been restored.

ginge82 likes this.
  20. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Enzo Anselmo Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    France
    it was at the Bacchelli E Villa stand at Retromobile in 2018, I assumed they would take care of the restoration, but no mention of the car on their website!

of2worlds, ginge82 and 375+ like this.
  21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    12653 now lives in Scandinavia.

Marcel Massini

22. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Thank you for the details Timo.
    In the end what is their significance? (Yes, a serious question as I am clueless.)

23. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #2874 TTR, Feb 27, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    David, the pictures show a small detail feature in coachwork of Daytonas I believe was created in all or most of them during their original construction to alleviate clearance issue/problem between the left side of the front lower valance panel and the bottom of the radiator.

I have personally seen & photo documented several unrestored or undamaged examples having this "bump" and several which have had signs or traces of it having been (inadvertently) eliminated one time or another during the given cars life. I've also received some documentation from colleagues working on or owners of several cars.

I believe the reason for its original creation being an accidental(?) misalignment of the entire front coach work when the cars were built backing the day, but since I wasn't there at the time nor had an access to these cars when new, all this is somewhat speculative from my part, hence my continued and ongoing research, which may never provide enough proof for this theory.

There are number of similar, but subtle coach work "oddities" I've discovered and researched on Daytonas for years, many of which require close, in-person viewing and comparison between numerous examples, not to mention understanding what one is looking at before they become obvious. Many are difficult, if not nearly impossible to explain in text or show in photos.

Of course, more time passes with cars getting restored again and again without these features documented during the process, less chances there are in the future to see, let alone prove, authenticities of their restorations.

24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    … or to put it simply, this “Blister/Bump” is one of many easy to spot coach work features I expect to see on a Daytona, especially on any subjected to complete or major (coach work) restoration.

To me, it’s presence or lack of is another good indicator how much attention was paid to authenticity during restoration.

Many of the other, what I consider commonly/often missing or mis-represented (coach work) features are usually easier to spot, even from most photos or just casually viewing the subject at a show.

dgunn365 likes this.