Bronco Raptor, Yes A Bronco Raptor | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bronco Raptor, Yes A Bronco Raptor

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by msdesignltd, Mar 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    You are my spirit animal. Ideally, we get both. But if I'm forced to choose, I go with performance. This could get sticky with electric trucks. :)

Scotty likes this.
  2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #27 msdesignltd, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    When ever this argument comes up...the same expression comes to mind..
    There is no replacement for displacement!

I rest my case!

Don"t mind me..I really do believe in Ford!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Davesvt2000 and G. Pepper like this.
  3. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Here's what I see as the biggest potential plusses to the Bronco Raptor vs it's one obvious competitor, the Wrangler 392XR. These are my thoughts based on wheeling (the slow technical type, not the desert running type) the thing stock vs stock. I'm trying to stay away from non-wheeling/overlanding differences, which are many.

- It will likely get better milage, and range is an issue way off the grid
    - It comes stock with what sounds like good skid plates (the 392's/Rubicon's are a joke)
    - It has a tiny bit more ground clearance (0.2")
    - I haven't found an RTI (ramp travel index) on the Raptor yet, but I suspect it will challenge/beat the 392
    - It can ford about 3.5" deeper water
    - It has beefy side steps, which likely out-protect the sides of the vehicle versus the pinch seam rails on the 392
    - It has a touch more cargo capacity, and that cargo capacity is more easily used (big square area, cage pushed out closer to the hardtop)
    - Potentially better Fox shocks (the 392 XR package uses unbranded shocks)
    - Two more up fitter switches
    - If the Raptor fenders remove like the base Bronco, that is a plus for replacement, and they aren't painted (unlike the mandatory painted fenders on the 392)
    - Like the base Bronco, a better surround view camera system, which might lessen the need to be spotted in some situations

There are also some minuses

- To get the clearance and approach/breakover/departure angles it rides on 37's vs 35's--that's more wheel weight, which is almost never a plus
    - Site lines still poorer than any Wrangler
    - Unclear if stock bumper will allow mounting a winch
    - Wide--very very wide--it would not work on some trails I have done (of course, my Wrangler or the 392 would not work on some trails I've done on side by sides)

Anyone got any other thoughts on plusses and minuses?

4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I really like this even though its a V6. It would be a lot of fun to hoon one of these across the desert!

5. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    So the engine is expected to be the 3.0TT, which is in the Explorer right now. I’d rather see the 3.5TT go in, more power, more proven engine. Packaging and weight keeps the 5.0 out, as well as Ford is embracing the turbo. Take it or leave it.
    It is wide. Very wide. That will hinder it on the slower trails, but helps it in the desert. But the suspension set up looks awesome. The axles are supposed to be lifted straight from the Broncos Ford has been racing. Ground clearance is great too. More clearance and travel than F150 Raptor.
    If it keeps a similar bumper set up as the regular Bronco there are winch bumpers already available. And without flares it might fit 40” tires.
    I like it, it looks awesome, and appears to be even more hardcore than the F150.
    Negatives, 392 will always sound better. Solid axles will flex better in the slow stuff. And it’ll be impossible to find for MSRP for a while I’m sure.

G. Pepper likes this.
  6. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    V8's have their place... behind your shoulders in a Ferrari or original GT 40 (I want a Superformance Mk I small block fuelie real bad). :)

It will be interesting to see how the V8 Raptor-R turns out. Evidently, active suspension tech has advanced so fast that it may overcome the EcoBoost lightness advantage. That would be a game changer. I had a 2018 SuperCab Raptor with the last year of the passive suspension, and it was mind blowing off road. Especially fun in the snow. But the 2020 has first generation active suspension, and it's even better... mostly. Weird thing is, it takes a second or two when transitioning from tarmac to dirt at speed to get in the groove. Most would probably never notice that, but I go from pavement to dirt and vice versa every day at the Colorado place. If they eliminate that lag, it will be near perfect. I've gone over 70 MPH on that washboarded and potholed dirt road a couple of times. I was laughing out loud. It really is amazing that a stock pickup can do that.

I really wish I could have kept both Raptors, but I'm sinking an insane amount of money into the Colorado property. About $20K per year so far. o_O

Boomhauer and Nativetroy like this.
  7. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    As for brakes, seems it will have the brakes off the Raptor F150.

G. Pepper likes this.
  8. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Source? (Not being a smart ass, just genuinely curious).

9. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    One of the early stories I read - sorry, I'm not a link collector - said the entire suspension and engine of the F-150 Raptor would be used for the Bronco Raptor. This turned out not to be true. The EcoBoost is 3.0L, not 3.5L, and the suspension is new, and more advanced. So I wouldn't worry about the brake details yet. They may be the same, or they may be specific to the Bronco Raptor. I haven't been convinced of anything claiming to be definitive yet.

10. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    It was on TFL

11. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I'm oinkin' from the boinkin' on my current Wrangler brakes--3 grand later they now are sufficient (not amazing, but sufficient). I think brakes sometimes get ignored on off-road focused vehicles. Here's a specific example--going down some of the descents in Moab (Fins n Things, Hell's Revenge) I could only somewhat slow, not stop, my Jeep's progress down a steep bit (prior stock brakes). And by slow, I mean I would pick up speed, just not as fast as with no brake. On steep descents that is a huge pucker moment. I'm in good shape, workout and lift regularly, and I'm somewhat surprised I didn't bend the brake pedal.

Great, thanks!

G. Pepper likes this.
  12. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Brakes are almost always overlooked on off-road rigs. My Ranger I built had full size truck brakes. It stoped better with the 36” tires than it did stock.

Davesvt2000, Scotty and G. Pepper like this.
  13. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    So true! I can lock up the F-150 Raptor's brakes and come to an emergency stop with no problem (With or without anti-lock on dirt or tarmac).

The Raptors have so many driving mode settings. There's sure to be a sweet spot for whatever you're doing. Read the effing manual. :)

But I've never found the brakes to be lacking. Surprised a Jeep would be weak there.

14. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I posted this on a Jeep forum and spent way to many posts and time defending my thinking against morons. With by previous stock Jeep, rolling on 33's (so one inch bigger than stock), and loaded (winch, recovery gear, skid plates, super hard core steel side steps/rock rails, etc.) I could not activate the antilock brakes. Stock brakes, on smooth pavement, should be able to lock the wheels (or, with an antilock system, activate the antilocks). I can't imagine how much worse it would be now that I've gone to 35's. And of course, some of the Jeep folks thought this was stupid (Why would you need to get into the antilocks? What's wrong with you? Why are you a communist? Sell your Jeep!)

And look, and I DO NOT understand why you can't understand this...Wranglers are pieces of crap. Very capable off road pieces of crap, but still. Your Raptor is 2010 tech, my Wrangler is mostly 1940 tech. So THERE! :)

G. Pepper likes this.
  15. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thecadster, NeuroBeaker and G. Pepper like this.
  16. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Awesome! I'd HAVE to get the Hot Pepper Red, for obvious reasons. :D

17. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I just got a 2022 Bronco Badlands. 4 door hardtop. I need some running boards. Would also like to pimp it out a bit- lights, bumpers- etc. anyone know of a good source? Any installers in the Scottsdale area?

G. Pepper likes this.
  18. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    4WP - Four Wheel Parts - is the best place to start. They did my Rigid fog lights.

19. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Just checked. Nothing for the Bronco.

20. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Well there you are, on the bleeding edge. :D

21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    some ideas :)

Davesvt2000 and G. Pepper like this.
  22. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Look online. Plenty available. How big you want? 35’s fit with a 2” kit. Lots of wheel options. And anyone should be able to install the 2” kit. Just spacers. Ford has bumpers if you don’t like the aftermarket options. Not sure if the price is close.

23. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    newest vids >>> Drive reviews shortly :)

Why no V8? BS answer :rolleyes: (wait for the Raptor Rrrr ;) )
    Jump to 13:30 for frame and suspension

G. Pepper likes this.