Mondial T Drain gas question | FerrariChat

Mondial T Drain gas question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by AAmsden, Feb 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AAmsden

AAmsden Rookie

Sep 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    In Oregon you can't pump your own gas so the gas attendant mistakenly put 87 in instead of 92 I had requested and my car barely made it back home. Now I have to drain all the gas. I can't get a siphon started. Is there a procedure that I could do to be successful? Thanks for reading, appreciate any input!

2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    You can find octane booster in pretty much any auto parts store. How about pouring that in your tank instead of draining it?

AAmsden likes this.
  3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
  4. AAmsden

AAmsden Rookie

Sep 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You are right, it's just this issue happened immediately after getting fuel. Very loud noises and major loss of power. I've been told it could be a vacum hose leak. Just strange it happened when it did. Jagshop did belt change 10 months ago and I have an appointment there in April, hoping to resolve if I can beforehand. The car has been running excellent till this event..

5. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    The coincidence is too great to be anything other than related to the gas fill. Drain the tank, period.
    Octane and dewatering additives are just guesswork, right? How many bottles do you add of each? How do you get it to mix when you have trouble driving the car?
    I have not looked at the Mondi tank, but the general way is to remove a gas line from the tank and either gravity drain or use the fuel pump to pump it all out.
    I have never been able to get a suction tube past the anti theft flap, but perhaps you might be able to reach in there and rip it out forcibly.
    Alternatively, it MIGHT BE that the Mondi fuel intake tube is connected to the fuel tank with a rubber tube (rather than a solid steel fuel inlet directly to the tank). If a rubber connection, then you could remove this tube and get a suction hose directly into the tank.

Save the fuel for cleaning greasy parts, or even for your mower...might work there..

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You probably lost a bank of cylinders due to a malfunctioning slow ecu or thermal coupler.

7. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    It isn't guesswork. The instructions on the bottle tells you what octane increase you'll get when adding to 5 gallons, 10 gallons, etc. It will mix within a minute or two of driving and sloshing the fuel around the tank.

8. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Under the impression that car was barely driveable, right? Liquids disperse in currents like the Mississippi entering the Gulf, not like aerosols and gaseous substances where there is rapid equilibrium of mixes.
    Very interested in the final diagnosis. Please keep us updated.

9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    You may be right about the fueling timing be coincidence, but no non-racing car runs that badly just because it is a few octane points down from optimal. Regular fuel actually burns better than premium, it is soley a detonation problem that octane solves for, at the expense of higher fuel volatility which actually has a better ignition property. The t engine compression ratio is I believe about 10.3 to 1, which is not that high. Unless there is a huge amount of carbon build up, raising the compression, it would still start and run, and but perhaps knock mre severely under load.

The only issue with draining gas is it is just dangerous, no matter how careful you are. You really don't want to do that if you don't need to. Always have a fire extinguisher nearby, garage door fully open for venting, etc.

The additive mixing ratios are straightforward. The additive will diffuse mix if you let it sit overnight, even if it is not sloshing around.

I would look for other issues as the priority, something else beyond bad gas is likely the problem. As noted, it sounds like you dropped a cylinder bank. Probably a distributor cap or a coil failure comes to mind.

porphy likes this.
  10. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Can you simply connect a hose off the schrader valve on the fuel rail and jump the fuel pump or pump relay? Run the hose into a container and run til nearly dry, then add proper fuel back. I also agree, it’s likely not solely gas problem.

11. AAmsden

AAmsden Rookie

Sep 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks guys. I'm afraid to drive it now. Will have to wait till April 11th appointment with the Jag Shop, I'll get it towed to afraid and not technical enough. The sounds scare me. Craig at the Jag Shop said 87 octane wouldn't create this. I'll update when he works on it.

12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Is it metallic clanking or a misfire or...?

I chased a misfire in my 348, and it was 30 year old spark plug wires. Ran fine, then like it was falling apart, then fine....then...

sjd

13. AAmsden

AAmsden Rookie

Sep 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Apparently I threw a rod.. oil pressure has been great, lubrication too.. is was a metallic clanking and felt like running on 4 cylinders

14. AAmsden

AAmsden Rookie

Sep 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Crazy how it happened at the gas station...