Coilovers for a 550 | FerrariChat

Coilovers for a 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by motts, Nov 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
  2. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
  3. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    As above read whiteouts 575 build thread he mentions installing some reasonably priced coil-overs

white out likes this.
  4. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I ordered a set of MCS will try them out and wile those are on my car will get the billstein’s rebuild. And who knows I will probably get a lot of use out of tHe MCS’s. Thanks Nick @whiteout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hwyman and white out like this.
  5. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    F456M, hwyman and motts like this.
  6. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    They really do. Thank you!

white out likes this.
  7. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Very sexy. What are the ride/performance/handling advantages?

8. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Advantages - the 575 handles like you expect it to. The car is flat in the turns and under throttle/braking. Wheel hop is gone.
    MCS weigh 20lbs less than the factory components.

The ride height is adjustable independent of spring compression - so comfort/ride height/corner balance can be set independently of each other. The dampers can be adjusted for firmness, so there is a lot of adjustability to dial in the suspension to your specific needs. My car is my daily driver, so I have my setup to be comfortable and its still a completely different car in the performance aspect.

hwyman and root like this.
  9. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Thanks a lot for the summary. Do they work as well on the 550 or is there a different system for those?

10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Do these work on the 456 too?

11. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Same for 550.

456 use a different upper mount. But I believe we can change the top mounts to accommodate.

12. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Nick- could you reach out over private message to discuss the costs and work associated with buying a set for my 456?

13. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm curious on the implications with the suspension light on the multifunction display? Obviously the system will be disconnected, so I assume this would trigger the light. Does anybody have experience with whether this is easily bypassed with resistors or similar? I know there are a lot of functions that are all interconnected to the factory system (steering angle, throttle position, etc.), so I'm curious as to how easy it is to turn the light off.

F456M likes this.
  14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The Novitec sets came with shunts at one point that bypassed the suspension lamp.

F456M likes this.
  15. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    that is the KW (KV?) kit rebranded last i saw. set are still around on the interweb

16. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Forgive my ignorance.....what is a "shunt"?

17. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    There is a KW delete available for the 575 and the 550 can be shut off for with some threads on the forum which do not require any additional parts.

chris1866 likes this.
  18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Shunt- Provide (an electrical current) with a conductor joining two points of a circuit, through which more or less of the current may be diverted.

chris1866 likes this.
  19. ctml

ctml Rookie

Oct 27, 2020
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    These MSC coilovers look great and I would love a set - can someone please help me confirm:

- Does this eliminate the need for the stock suspension actuators?
    - Does the suspension light trigger anything - e.g. force limp mode or is it just purely just an annoying dash light?
    - Does the installation require any further modifications?

20. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    It does eliminate the need for the stock suspension actuators.
    No limp mode, just a light - methods to remove the light.
    No further modifications necessary.

Ferrari55whoa and ctml like this.
  21. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I’ve been planning for a while to replace all the wear item on my 550(bushings and tie rods, shocks, springs etc.) and I’m still debating what to do with the shocks and springs. I’m torn between MSC or KW for a different feel or just stick with a throughly refreshed stock setup. Unfortunately there is very little feedback out there from 550 owners that have used a non-stock coilover solution.

22. ctml

ctml Rookie

Oct 27, 2020
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'm in the same boat on the suspension refresh. I found it cost about the same to rebuild the stock units vs. buying a set of MSC coilovers, but I find the stock setup so soft that I wouldn't mind trying something new. My only concern is come alignment time, there'll be some trial and error to dialing in the right settings.

23. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have a set that my tech will be installing next month would be happy to report. Who is doing the rebuild on the original shocks for you. My plan was to install the MSC and if I don’t like them get the originals rebuild and put them back on.

One thing for sure they look great.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. ctml

ctml Rookie

Oct 27, 2020
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I was going off rebuild prices from DeltaVee. Those coilovers really look great, will you be replacing anything else down there while your tech is switching out the shocks? On all my other cars, there are normally multiple videos on how to / what to do / top tips when replacing xyz component....not so with the 550...

F456M likes this.
  25. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I apologize for my technical ignorance in advance . My friend and a tech just left Denver to be the foreman at Silicon Valley Ferrari he completed a major with cam belts, also I know that we purchased all the bushings and some other rubber or silicone parts. Once we get the shocks installed I will let you know. Most likely will make a post about it.
    Thanks.

LjT likes this.