488 - Paint protection Film for my 488 spider rosso corsa metallic | FerrariChat

488 Paint protection Film for my 488 spider rosso corsa metallic

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by GaryTarmac, Feb 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GaryTarmac

GaryTarmac Karting

Mar 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gary Tarmac
    Hi,
    Might get mine fully PPF’d?

Anyone recommend it?

Gary Tarmac

Chizz and AD211 like this.
  2. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    Yes. Especially if it's a paint job that would be difficult to properly match if you need to repair any blemishes from rock chips etc.

Chizz, jm2 and GaryTarmac like this.
  3. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Yes! My 2010 458 has had a complete wrap of PPF since new. Not a scratch or chip in 26k miles.

Chizz and GaryTarmac like this.
  4. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Why? 5 yrs needs to be removed, risk paint removal with product. Sides ,top rear usually no problems. My entire front is done, but when removal comes this summer I think will limit it.

SD455TA and 430jm like this.
  5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I wrap all my F cars because they are easier to wash and maintain . No swirl
    marks , stone chips and what not. It’s a small investment given the price of the cars. Currently my F8 s and Porto are fully wrapped in PPF. Note : a must is color correction before you wrap.

Chizz, jm2, GaryTarmac and 1 other person like this.
  6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Yes BUT which one will you select ? I have Xpel as with many others.

I offer some advise also. They precut their pieces which I liked so as to avoid that scalpel near the paint but not all the paint is covered.

I suggest a place where they can also lift the car. Get every part that is painted covered. Even under the car. Because its out of sight out of mind it doesnt get covered. Looking under a few years old car the amount of paint chips is incredible.

Also just for the sake of it I also covered the door jamb.

Let then detail the car first and correct any paint flaws. Hopefully you wont have any. Then film then I also would ceramic coat it for the best results.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I tinted the windows also and covered the head lights. Total $9,000 AUD

RCorsa and GaryTarmac like this.
  7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

5 years ? Nah. More like 10 years IF needed. Depends totally how much the car is used. Todays films dont yellow as much. The unprotected carbon yellows 100% faster .

Paint removal is only an issue with resprayed panels and or bad installers. BTW dont argue about the price to remove it as that's where the problem lies, quick and dangerous removal to save cost.

8. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Full PPF saved me three times. Hood, A pillar and rear facia. 100% recommended.

Chizz, Shorn355, MANDALAY and 4 others like this.
  9. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I had Xpel installed on my 2014 458, only from the windshield forward to the entire bumper. Had it removed 5 years later with no paint issues whatsoever. Then had the full car PPF'd with Xpel again and it can stay on for 7-10 years. The key as mentioned is finding the best installer in your area.

10. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    I did it to protect my 488 spider with triple layer Bianco Fuji. I think it was about 8k which meant all in the paint was 40k. Lol Gave me piece of mind for sure but didn’t put enough miles on it before I got something else to justify the cost IMO. I generally do the front end and rock prone areas. My incoming F8 has a bit of exterior carbon which I’ve always avoided in the past. What do you mean @MANDALAY about it yellowing and how do you protect it?

11. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Angelo , I used Suntek Ultra Line , 10 yr warranty on both my cars. Color correction first then Suntek , cost on the Porto (Grigio T )was 6300 (3 weeks ago )and cost on the F8s ( Nero Daytona) was 7500 in January of 2021.

Chizz, MANDALAY and jm2 like this.
  12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Epoxy yellows. That's why garage floors coated in epoxy MUST be covered with a polyurethane as the Epoxy will yellow pretty fast.

It is the resin used in the Carbon fibre. Most people will not notice it however put a new panel next to it and you can see the difference.

Does it really make a difference ? Up to the individual but also note these parts are not structural so they are thin. The epoxy main enemy is heat. Epoxy softens with heat.

Resins is my field going on 40 years. Many people love it I just dont from a jewelry point of view. When used structurally its magnificent.

It scratches just as easy as paint. The exterior carbon are the actual parts that are going to be the most subjected to rocks being flipped up because of the tires.

I would recommend 100% to cover all the carbon also. The real trick will be covering the curves. You really need to go over that with the installer.

You should note the F8 on the rear the fins now are not separate pieces its all one mold. Damn expensive to replace.

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

IMO there is no reason to ask whether one should film their Expensive car. When driving just look at the car next to you and look at all the scratches that car has.

Chizz and RoadRonin like this.
  14. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    So the film protects against such UV damage in the carbon? I’ve heard the ceramic can protect against Uv damage (for example on marine gel coatswhich are VERY sensitive to UV damage). But wasn’t sure about the films.

MANDALAY likes this.
  15. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    #15 DiamondDog, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    Stek dynoshield is the best now for ppf. The ceramic coating is built in now. Self healing is incredible. Their windshield film for the outside is a must too and it’s so much better than the competitors. Clarity is good

Suntek and Xpel hassle you on warranty claims more so than Stek

A good install for ppf alone is about 7k on a 488 or F8. Can you get it cheaper, yes. Just like you can get a cheaper car

Xpel Prime XR plus (heat rejection, not just UV as every film rejects UV) for windows

Get a BlackVue 900 dashcam. A must. I’ll show you a very good way to mount the rear one on a spider. I posted it in the general forum with pictures

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

PPF is a polyurethane film ;)

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    As long as you get a good paint correction first, it works. Get Suntek. In my experience it is the most invisible and the film with the best healing properties. After that, get a ceramic on top specifically designed for PPF. Then when you wash the car, just use Gyeon Wet Coat after rinsing off the soap. Just keep in mind that Gyeon Wet really should be used with a high pressure washer.

But the paint correction is the key. Don't ever buy into the notion that the PPF will make the flaws invisible - it won't. Another positive is that the heat created by cutting and buffing will aide in the final curing of the paint, so you will be much less likely to have issues with stripped paint. Stripped paint also has to do with how the film is removed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Viperjoe, Chizz and RoadRonin like this.
  18. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
  19. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Absolutely!!! No brained. Then ceramics over the PPF

MANDALAY likes this.
  20. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Totally agree

Cigarzman likes this.
  21. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    +1

Viperjoe, GaryTarmac and RoadRonin like this.
  22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Never thought I would ever say this, but Mandy is 100% right.

23. GaryTarmac

GaryTarmac Karting

Mar 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gary Tarmac
    Viperjoe, mdrums and Thecadster like this.
  24. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    I think it looks awesome
    '
    My only concern is that the colored films are not the same thickness as PPF and don't really protect. There are some manufacturers that are making colored ppf but the colors are very limited and its not the norm

GaryTarmac likes this.
  25. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Make sure the parts i have pointed out are covered. I looked at a car that wasnt filmed. These sections had heaps of gravel rash.

I found out when it can to get mine covered . Its a bit of cant see no problem. Well it is to me and made sure they lifted the car and 100% covered all the painted parts.

BTW have a look at those parts especial the guard behind the rear wheel. All the 488's I have seen have that section full of stone chips.

If you do touch them up first. Gee i have seen cars with Lift and still have scratches under the front bumper :(

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Chizz, mdrums and GaryTarmac like this.