Planning to Order a 2022 Rubicon - Any Advice? | FerrariChat

Planning to Order a 2022 Rubicon - Any Advice?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Shorn355, Feb 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hi All - So since there are ZERO 2022 2-door Jeep Wrangler Rubicons in Granite Crystal Metallic with a manual transmission anywhere even reasonably close to Denver CO I am planning to order one. It has been a long time since I ordered a brand new vehicle so looking for any advice, experiences, "gotchas" etc.

I have the spec built and plan to simply print it out and walk into the sister Jeep Dealer to the Dodge dealer that services my 2016 Hellcat and get a trade-in estimate on my 2015 Jetta (already ran it through KBB to get an idea), put whatever is necessary down for a deposit and place the order.

Sound reasonable? Anything I need to know or watch out for? Any ideas on build times?

Any advice or guidance is most appreciated as always.

Cheers and thanks :)

2. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I had a 2006 Rubicon for about a year. Terrible vehicle. Very unsteady on regular roads, uncontrollable when the roads are wet and a very high rolling resistance. I couldn't push the darn thing on level concrete with all my might. Noisy, unbearable at highway speeds, leaked water and was uncomfortable for even a ten minute ride. I'd go with a Toyota instead. Much better truck.

That said, they are extremely popular and I got more looks and thumbs up in my army green Rubicon than I do in my 360 Spider. Sold it a year later in about a minute.

I got the truck when we purchased a high end motorhome. The truck was "thrown in" to sweeten the deal as a tow vehicle.

4. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Awesome!! Many thanks!! :)

5. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks much for the response - Yeah my SO has a 2006 Wrangler Sport - much the same experience as you related. Hopefully they have improved things in 16 years but even if the experience is comparable I am ok with it. I don't really have any use for a truck and plan to drive the Jeep pretty much like I drive the Jetta - i.e when the weather or situation does not allow me to drive the other cars - so I can put up with some "oddities" in order to enjoy the "Jeep Thing" :)

Thanks for taking time to respond and provide the info/insight - Most appreciated :)

EastMemphis likes this.
  6. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Just signed up - THANKS! I also can use some of the benefits for my Hellcat - Very cool! :)

7. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Realize that the Tread Lightly discount doesn't "kick in" for a certain number of days after you join--it is not instantaneous. I did use it 2015 Wrangler JKUR (last generation Rubicon) and it worked great. The one suggestion I have is to discuss your build with your dealer--they may be aware of specific option restrictions or issues that will delay your order. I was going to order a 392 Rubicon XR, and Jeep recently closed the order banks on this variant. There is lots of info on Jeep message boards (some from Stellantis employees, Jeep dealers, and other relatively reliable sources) that might be useful. Almost all of these boards have a current generation order thread or the like that will have some specifics. I like and participate in wranglerforum.com and jlwranglerforums.com. I also am on a 392 forum, but that info won't help you.

8. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks much - Yep the email received after signing up states clearly that I have to be a member for 30 days minimum in order to use the FCA Affiliate discount - I checked the eligible vehicles on the Affiliate site the the normal Wranglers are listed as eligible. I contacted the 4 dealers in my area and one of them said they would only honor the Affiliate program for in-stock units - not on ordered units. Two of the others said no worries on the ordered unit so I will probably go with one of them. One already put together a Build Sheet from my Configuration so they seem a bit more anxious to earn the business. They are saying 8-12 weeks for the Build time which is not bad.

Will see how it goes - I was prepared to pay MSRP so anything less is a bonus - Thanks again for the feedback and information - Cheers :)

Scotty likes this.
  9. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I ordered my 2016 Willys Wheeler with the Tread Lightly discount. Asked my dealer if I had to wait 30 days before placing the order. He said no, he had no issue with ordering and applying the code later. I'm sure it varies, depending which dealer you use.

I think it helps that I was dealing directly with the sales manager...had already established a working relationship when I ordered a first year Abarth from the then-new Fiat store he managed, and stayed in touch when he moved to Jeep.

A floor salesman may dissuade you from ordering, as they don't see a commission until the deal is done, and it's an even money bet whether they'll still be working there in 8-12 weeks...

10. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Absolutely spot-on! I received my initial TreadLightly membership confirmation email yesterday morning and placed/confirmed the order yesterday afternoon. Exactly as you said they said I would need the Control Number from FCA Affiliate Program when the Jeep comes in and I pay for it but had no issues showing me the invoice price and honoring the 1% below to place the order.

The Dealer closest to me would only honor it for in-stock units so they did not get my business- The other Dealer is further away but I got a great feel from them- Met the sales manager, GM and service manager while there. Will be worth a bit of distance as I plan to have them service it as well. Besides they are right across the street from the Porsche dealer who services my GT3 so when the Jeep is in I can walk over and chat with the Porsche guys and vice-versa

Thanks again for the reference to TL and general feedback everyone- Cheers :cool:

desmomini likes this.
  11. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Congrats on your order!

12. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks much! I'm psyched :) Although I'm super lucky and grateful for the amazing cars I have its been a long time since I bought something brand new and I have never spec'd and ordered anything so this is pretty cool! :cool:

Cheers and thanks :)

13. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Wait…you can no longer order a 392 at all? Or just the XR version?

14. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    You can order a 392, just not with the XR package. But you can order the XR packages on other trims. Weird.

Thecadster likes this.
  15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Super weird. What I like about the XR is 4.56 gearing. I wonder if they will bring it back at some point?

16. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Posters on websites (which include dealers and some factory assembly line workers) don't know.

Thecadster likes this.
  17. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Just FYI- My 2022 Rubicon came in last Monday- Picked it up today- The TreadLightly/FCA Affiliates program was flawless- Vehicle is awesome- at least for the 30 miles I put on today.

THANKS again for the TreadLightly info- The whole process of specing out the Jeep and waiting for it was exciting and worth it- The Window Sticker even says "Made Especially for Scott <lname>"- Super cool- Cheers :cool:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Scotty, EastMemphis, technom3 and 3 others like this.
  18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    That's killer! Congratulations!

19. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Remember the Jeep wave--thought it works better in the country than in the city. Got your eyes on any accessories yet?

And I really like the black grill. In general I don't but it works extremely well on yours.

20. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks much! Nothing specific yet- considering a winch and light bar for the front but no rush- Just enjoying it for now- I spec'd it pretty loaded so not a lot of xtra stuff- needed- but I know that's half the fun so I'm sure once the newness wears off I'll be looking- Thanks again :cool:

21. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks much! I'm really liking it so far :p:D

technom3 likes this.
  22. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    A few thoughts. Be careful about the light bar size and placement--they can whistle in the wind. Good winches are expensive, and if you are wheeling hard in certain conditions you may well need one. But traction boards are much cheaper, and can work well. Truth be told, I've never used my winch to recover myself. Others, yes. Moving rocks on my parent's property, yes.

technom3 likes this.
  23. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Excellent advice! Thanks- yeah I don't plan on doing crazy stuff- Probably overkill :D:D

24. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
  25. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What did you get for the interior? Please say cloth!