CHP STEPS UP PATROL FOR SPEEDING DRIVERS | FerrariChat

CHP STEPS UP PATROL FOR SPEEDING DRIVERS

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Nationaltec, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Just a little FYI for all us guilty parties. This was in the San Diego news today but it sounds like the whole state is forewarned. (budget crunch time I assume)

Be careful..
    Patrick

CHP STEPS UP PATROL FOR SPEEDING DRIVERS

(03-04-2004) - The California Highway Patrol is cracking down on speeding drivers throughout the state, officials announced Thursday.

Six additional CHP officers will patrol San Diego County's roads, concentrating on every freeway at least once, beginning with the 125 Freeway Thursday, Officer Lorenzo Ruano said. The CHP will also increase freeway patrols with its airplanes and helicopters, he said.

CHP officials are not disclosing how long the speed enforcement program will last.

"Speeders are the primary cause of collisions on California's freeways, and we've noticed more and more people are speeding without regard to the speed limit," Ruano said. "Our bosses in Sacramento thought this would be a good time to teach people to slow down and obey the speed limit."

2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    What a crock. If you want to teach people to slow down, you teach them how to drive. Increasing patrols to give tickets just increases revenue and somehow creates the illusion through creative number crunching how the roads were safer for it.

European drivers get more education. Autobahn = safer and so are other major highways. They STILL can't argue with that.

Who called for the increase so I can write them a short letter telling them "**** you."

Sunny

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Patrick, this is not just a California thing, it is happening everywhere. Texas just passed new laws about "street racing." No one knows what this means other than going to jail if you tick the officer off.

DrTax

4. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I was driving the 55 and 57 freeways yesterday and noticed several cops stopped and writing tickets, much more than usual. So, yes be forewarned.

5. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Wow! I guess this means a group of us have been lucky these past few outings. I was stopped on Olympic for speeding during the Enzo event and was issued a warning. Seven or eight of us were confronted in Long Beach last weekend after giving Shoreline Drive a pre-test for the upcoming CART race - again only warned. And then one of us was pulled over later that same afternoon and (yet again) given only a warning. Three incidents, three jurisdictions, and ZERO tickets! Not boasting - simply stating the facts. Of course I have now jinxed myself and our group which means the tickets are just around the corner!!

6. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Jeffrey -- I got pulled over on the Long Beach drive as well. Must be something about yellow 355's not blending in with traffic...

7. costa

costa Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Costantino Bertuzzi
    I've got pulled over, arrested and my car impounded on Mc. Arthur blvd. in Newport Beach; the speed limit was 35 and i was going 125. License suspended for 6 months and two points on my record. Thank's god i have other 3 European driving license.

8. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    OMG! good one Costa! hehe gotta love the foreign license!

This is not good news considering the drive event this Sunday...

9. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    No way! When??

10. costa

costa Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Costantino Bertuzzi
    It happened two years a go when i was the manager of Ferrari of Orange County and Beverly Hills challenge team ; i had just received my 360 from Italy and i was driving with the FOC dealer plate.......... they weren't very happy over there after they had to go pick up the license plate at the Police Station.

11. larz

larz Rookie

Feb 27, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    Costa,

Ouch! Good going with the license.

12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    355's are ticket machines. I got 4 tickets and a warning letter (Framed with pride :D) in 6 months! The numb of it was, they were ALL BS! I got them just because it was so loud! 40 in a 30, 45 in a 35....etc. (ALL from complete stops as the lights turned green). One was that I wasn't far enough into the intersection making a legal u-turn!

BTW, I speed EVERYWHERE. I have been to 191MPH and over 180 countless times in the 550's and have NEVER been pulled over in either one.

Go figure.

DL

13. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    "All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemys,and when ever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you"

14. mighty

mighty Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    They should raise the speed limits because 99% of them are bull ****. I say add 15 mph to every limit. They shouldnt even call it limit, "suggested speed" would be much more appropriate.

15. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Take me to 190 :)

16. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    this was the first story on fox and nbc news tonight at the top of the hour. Its no joke a guess CHP wanted to let everyone know...be careful!!

17. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Hey guys, there's no reason why we shouldn't take this seriously.

Rest assured, we will keep this in mind on sunday during the drive... there's no reason we have to go insane speeds to enjoy our cars, right? ;)

Byron

18. XJARGH!

XJARGH! Rookie

Feb 29, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hi Guys,

First of all they should learn how to drive correctly if they are going to ticket us for speeding.

It's 2:09AM here in Burbank, and I just got done doing my midnight run in my XJR down to Malibu.

Right before the Sepulveda Pass, a CHP officer started doing the zig zag to slow down traffic. Right past the curve before the hill really gets going the road was ablaze with about a thousand flares and over 20 CHP cruisers taking up the entire right side of the 405 heading North.

As I passed the fracas, there were TWO CHP CRUISERS AUGERED into the side of the hill, along with two civies that were wrecked in the right two lanes.

It didn't look pretty, and it must have just happened.

Hopefully nobody was hurt.

I hit triple digits an hour before I saw this on the 134W heading back from pasadena, so that made me pause.

The two crown vics were pretty smashed up, and so were the other two civilian cars.

Tim
    XJARGH!

19. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Yep, I am sitting here reading and on the T.V. they were just talking about it. They said they will use many motorcycles cops, cruisers, and helicopters as said before. I guess it is serious.

20. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Boy did I pick the wrong time to add a new "Vanity Plate".

Do you think the cops will think this is funny?

The New Plate on my red 328 " NOSPDNG " i.e. ~ No Speeding

I could say it's my wife's car... " No Spending " boy is that an understatement...!!

Heck, maybe it will distract the cop from the actual ticket.

Patrick

21. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Hey Byron ... WRONG!! Ha ha ... it's the FERRARI Driving Club NOT the YUGO Driving Club! Just kidding! Have fun and drive carefully. I will be thinking about you guys!!

22. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    A fellow worker got popped this past Friday going to San Diego. In Oceanside he received a 15 mph ticket along with two others. An airplane caught him.