RIP William Hubbell (WILLIAM H / Countachxx) | FerrariChat

RIP William Hubbell (WILLIAM H / Countachxx)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by KennyH, Feb 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    #1 KennyH, Feb 27, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    Hi all,

I'm heartbroken to share that Will Hubbell (William H) has passed away. An F-Chatter for nearly two decades with over 34,000 posts, I'm sure that he's had an impact on many here.

From my end: Will (CountachXX) showed up on my website, exoticcarforums.com, with a series of posts re: purchasing Ferraris, Lamborghinis, renting jets, etc. and no one believed him. So we called his bluff and, as he was local, I had my dad drive me to see on of his cars. "I'll be wearing a black leather Ferrari jacket and racing gloves [at the Stamford Mall carousel." Mind you, I was 13, this was '98, and I was meeting a stranger from the internet.

Within a couple of minutes, my dad inexplicably let me head to the parking garage alone with Will - waiting was his jaw-dropping black '93 Ferrari 512tr (with a Tubi exhaust, of course).

That day + ride changed the course of my life.

That next summer, and throughout the rest of high school, I was Will's right-hand gopher at the track, attending any / all FCA, FoC, PCA, and AMoC events that would let him race at Lime Rock, Poconos, Watkin's Glen, etc. Principal responsibilities included timing his laps (Will eventually dipped under a minute at LRC!), helping bleed his brakes (I still have no idea how to do this), help change tires, making sure he had plenty of water and bananas, and most importantly, making myself available to lap the pits to check out all of the amazing cars.

I spent hundreds of hours with Will and his family, who graciously welcomed me with open arms.
    Warm, sharp, generous, kind-hearted, and of course, a true car guy's car guy, Will was one of a kind. Will lived life to the fullest, and made sure everyone around him was having an equally great time.

I'm truly at a loss for words. RIP, big brother. Thank you for everything. Your impact on my life is immeasurable.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Mirek, TexasMike, Omega.PO85 and 37 others like this.
  2. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for sharing your story

RIP to William, one of the most memorable members we’ve had.

timjen88, anunakki, TestShoot and 4 others like this.
  3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Thanks for sharing your story. He was definitely one of more impactful posters here. I miss his stories, and of course, his pics...

timjen88, Roadney, anunakki and 3 others like this.
  4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Wow.

He was very young. RIP.

Matt

timjen88 and Texas Forever like this.
  5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Any idea what happened? Was he sick? Awful.

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    No!

This is very sad. I for one have missed him not being in this forum for the past few years. We never met, but I felt like I knew him.

Sincere condolences to his family and many friends,

timjen88, E60 M5, jm2 and 2 others like this.
  7. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    of2worlds, Stephanie, E60 M5 and 4 others like this.
  8. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    ryalex and Jack-the-lad like this.
  9. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Terrible news- nothing on the internet that I could find. Probably cuz he was a conservative wild man.
    Ferrari Chat was more interesting when he was allowed to post!

RIP!

Island Time likes this.
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    he may have been banned a few times for posting politics outside of P&R, but it wasn't about allowing him to post, he chose not to post.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Sorry if I was wrong- I thought he'd received a permaban- didn't realize he left in a huff.
    I know he certainly was hand full- the wild man persona. Certainly one of the more entertaining posters on Ferrari Chat.

LARRYH and mcimino like this.
  12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    He had a 3 month ban in 2017 that was right when we moved software to Xenforo. There was a bug that didn't lift the ban when it expired and it took a couple months to notice. It was fixed by December of 2017 and we tried to reach out several ways to inform him account wasn't banned. The ban was fixed 12/1/2017 and he at least logged in 12/17/2017. If he told anyone after that point he was permanent banned then he was just trying to be a martyr and it was a lie.

DadsFerrari likes this.
  13. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    Who cares - RIP

14. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
  15. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I see no love lost between you too..... ;)

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what? it was all business on the moderation side and mods were the ones that handled it. are you saying the moderators got it wrong or should have given him an exception to our rules or how other users moderated? I think all his bans amounted to a hill of beans, that last 3 month one was probably the longest.

I certainly liked his go fun personality, his political views were a little borderline, but being borderline you tend to be right many times when no one else is.

Stephanie got us in touch one of my trips to corporate in Miami 2017-18, he ended up being out of town that time. I also ran into him 2004 at Laguna Seca when we were both running the FCA track event.

Most of the moderation team assumes when he tried to return to FerrariChat after the ban and couldn't, then he gave up. That makes sense except for logging in after the ban fixed and giving him the benefit of the doubt he never told anyone he was still perm banned after 2018.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  17. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This is certainly sad news. I always enjoyed his bombastic posts. Not too many FChatters had a stripper pole in their home and only one can lay claim to owning the SLUTMOBILE.

He was part of the golden era of FChat and will be missed.

18. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I made a point of reaching out to him by email, to advise him of what happened and to let him know that his account was back to normal status and that it was our error, caused by the software transition. That was May 2018 after we heard someone comment that he thought we had permabanned him.

He replied that he was choosing not to return to Fchat.

19. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    He clearly left FerrariChat -- now permanently -- on his own volition.

Does anyone know what happened to him? 58 is far too young to die without an explanation, in my opinion.

Matt

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we should wait on facts, but a rumor "procedure gone bad".

21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Was it on his birthday???

Matt

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    :toosoon: :eek:

Texas Forever likes this.
  23. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    No, no. I’m serious.

Yesterday the 26th would have been his 58th birthday. Unless I have a wrong date.

Matt

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    oh oh, the rumor is things went bad a couple months ago, so I thought you were insinuating Bubbles visited him, well it could have been yesterday too I guess.

25. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    Bubbles as seen on his race pages? Got to meet Bill and his F40 at Tutto Italiano Boston in 2007. He was also a 3000GT guy so other forums got his wisdom too. Fun guy, will never forget his bombshell copilot that day. I think my pics might still be on photobucket

May he RIP