Rosso Maranello | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Rosso Maranello

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by nickorette, Feb 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
  2. Jonathan Kayne

Jul 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Kayne
    say it ain’t so! My RM F12 should be here in a week or so and I was going to have it sent straight to PPF because I could not imagine rock chips or scratches in that paint. Does it really take away from the depth and color? Not sure if I could sleep at night without the ppf on it.

3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Absolutely. You can come over and look at my car for yourself. I have the latest Stek PPF on the front half, rockers, and in front of rear wheels. This brand is ultra clear and ripple free. Until you examine the carnauba polished paint. To be fair though the whole car was polished to an obscene quality so any plastic coating will be detectable.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. Jonathan Kayne

Jul 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Kayne
    do you think the difference is noticeable enough that you would actually bypass PPF? I had full ppf on my FF that I traded in and it just gave me such piece of mind whenever I drove it on the highway at speed or parked it at any of the car shows. It was a huge relief letting all the kids come up to it and not have to worry about anything. I assume even if ppf did change the depth of the paint you would still have it installed correct?

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I hated doing it but chips are no bueno. But doing the whole car means never knowing what RM really looks like. In hindsight I should have just done the front bumper given the mileage I drive and where I drive. PPF has a skin to it as well which degrades the optics. Semi-permanent coatings (ceramics) puts up so much reflections they have no depth and look cheap IMO.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I did the front half of my RM 812 and it didn’t seem too much of a difference. The way the paint captures light probably helped masking any issue.

7. Elferink

Elferink Rookie

May 16, 2018
    the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mark Elferink
    I have my entire car (Rosso Maranello) equipped with Xpel ppf. A ceramic coating was then applied thereon.
    I find the result astonishing. Even a more intense color experience than without a PPF/ceramic coating.
    You will have no regrets!

Wheels1 likes this.
  8. Jonathan Kayne

Jul 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Kayne
  9. CJA

CJA Karting

Nov 3, 2004
    Palos Verdes Estates
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Jonathan Kayne likes this.
  10. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    If anyone wants a Rosso Maranello 812, one for sale right now!

of2worlds likes this.
  11. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Jon
    If that’s the one in Seattle, you beat me by an hour or so.
    Congratulations.

12. Jonathan Kayne

Jul 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Kayne
    Sorry to say it is. The car was listed when I just happen to be on cars.com and when I saw the spec I moved as quickly as possible. It was exactly what I was looking for. Just got back from Seattle late last night to see it in person. They already have my FF listed for sale if anyone is interested. Good luck on your search Scott. Hopefully another one comes up soon for you.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Shane is already working on it for me.
    Enjoy.

Jonathan Kayne likes this.
  14. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Was your FF the 2015 Silver one that lasted a few hours on their site?

Gorgeous F12, congrats!

15. Kmaaq

Kmaaq Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    Khalid Mohammed ALQattan
  16. Jonathan Kayne

Jul 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Kayne
    WTF? I saw the post last night and laughed because they don’t even have the car yet. It’s still in my garage but yes their listing was for my Grigio Silverstone FF. Is it possible they already sold it that fast? Maybe they jumped the gun and just decided to take the listing down?

I am really going to miss my FF but getting that F12 into my garage will make everything better
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Maybe. That looks lovely, from the picture I gather it doesn’t have pano roof?

18. Jonathan Kayne

Jul 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Kayne
    You are correct. No pano roof. To tell you the truth I never really missed it. I liked the clean lines of the non-pano. Had a full matte ppf applied by touch of glass and it came out this great satin finish. Really loved the end result.

FYI it is not sold yet. Spoke to Ferrari of Seattle. They said it’s an issue with their system. Every time they enter a new car into inventory it is automatically posted for sale. They take it down immediately but it was never sold. It’s still in my garage.

if anyone is interested in the FF I would suggest getting in touch with them. I have a feeling that they are going to remove the ppf ($12k job) and the Kline sport cats (which sound absolutely amazing) before selling the car.

FerRrari likes this.
  19. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    You are so right.

My TdF has triple layer yellow paint. I put PPF on it and then ceramic on the whole car.

Well one good thing is that it doesn’t accumulate dust easily. Importantly, more toxic brake dust, etc. It just doesn’t stick to the surface easily.

A few weeks ago, I took the TdF out for a great rally over 250 miles. Well, I wound up with a 5 millimeter long gouge on the PPF that was a few millimeters deep. It was right in the middle of the hood. It didn’t go through the PPF fortunately.

Beyond the disappointment, the value drop have been large if the paint was scratched. Another pain would be the repair process on a triple paint on a hood.

I do have a 458 with Rosso F1 2007. The front half has PPF with ceramic coating. The back half does not. Just the paint as it came from the factory.

This back half has some micro scratches on one area from a dealer detailer. Will need polishing. So that’s a downside to no PPF.

Perhaps color changes with PPF are color dependent. I am not sure. I have heard of enough people who answer that their car color looks different post-PPF that it’s not clear cut.

One PPF warning: on an early near model year 2000 Ferrari car that had PPF, when the new installer went to put on the new XPEL, the paint came off!

On a similar year Porsche with the same PPF type, the paint stayed on perfectly.

I do think Ferrari paints can now easily handle PPF. Especially combined with the enhanced PPF technology.

I have an inbound car with a triple layer paint. As an experiment, I will see if I can get just the front half done and see the difference. The paint is Rosso Magma. So it’s high value paint and that makes me get the front half done.

I will report back.

a

day355, of2worlds and Jonathan Kayne like this.
  20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Talk to a quality PPF shop. No guarantee on pulling paint. This is more common on plastic parts (bumpers) and areas with lots of stretching and heating of the PPF. If you flip no problem. If you keep then more of a concern as its got to come off every five or so years. Would not put it on 3-layer or LE units.

21. Jonathan Kayne

Jul 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Kayne
    just curious why you would not put PPF on triple layer paints? If you didn’t have PPF would you have to deal with stone chips and scratches all the time? Isn’t that even a worse proposition?