#1891GT Restoration | FerrariChat

#1891GT Restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Enzo Belair, Feb 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This post has been 16 years in the making. Back in 2006 I purchased #1891GT, a 1960 250 Pininfarina Cabriolet in the condition you see in the photos below. I was immediately attracted to the car because of some if its interesting uncommon detailing which included 410SA style side vents, a dash with a formed in passenger handle and the color (at the time I did not know if it was original, but I was hoping).

I did not realize the extent of the rust the body had until the body was stripped and the metal work had begun. it has now been 15 years and we are a few months or so away from moving into paint, what a process. I would say, outside of the hood and trunk lid, 90% of the body has been rebuilt. At this time we are working on new bumpers, final welding in some miscellaneous sections and working to fit all components that will be assembled on the car. All parting lines are getting close, the new cowl is almost ready to be placed, its almost a car again.

The engine/transmission took about two years and was finished by Patrick Ottis around 2010. We are currently organizing all the miscellaneous parts and looking forward to assembling the car. I am not sure how long it has been since the car has driven down a road, but I am so thrilled for the car to have it happen again.

Thanks for letting me share...

Exterior color is Havana metallic (the only series II painted this Fiat color)
    Interior leather is natural Connelly
    Carpet is rust
    Top is beige

Video of the body a few months back:

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/651715129

Photos of when I first saw the car:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott

Attached Files:

• 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      134.9 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      138.7 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      135.8 KB
      Views:
    • 11b.jpg
      11b.jpg
      File size:
      123 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      91.7 KB
      Views:
  3. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Body a few months back, but the video above shows much more:

Attached Files:

3406-kris, Oishi, colombo2cam and 8 others like this.
  4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this remembers me when I baught my 1st 250 GT/E in 1974 or 1975. same condition but engine dismantled in the trunk with missing oilpan and missing wheels
    brings much memory to me :)

does this car already had an overdrive? I wonder

nice video :) :) :)

5. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    Another Shaughnessy farm car. I remember seeing the car at the previous metal shop. Huge project. Its coming along. Nothing that a lot of time and a lot of money can't fix.

6. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Yes, the Laycock de Normanville Overdrive unit is the round housing directly under the shifter in his photo

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    yes, this I know, same as in my 250GT/E, but I wonder that this car already had this overdrive? I thaught the forst ferrari with such an overdrive has been the 250 GT/E. so learning every day

8. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    exterior c
    Yep, I bought the car from Tom, the attached photos were taken up at his farm.

9. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Looking great!