328 Fuel Recommendations | FerrariChat

328 Fuel Recommendations

Discussion in '308/328' started by recyclingstud, Feb 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. recyclingstud

recyclingstud Rookie

Nov 7, 2014
    Two (2) fuel related questions for a first time 328 owner:
    1. Should premium gas (91 or 93 octane) be used, or does it not mater with these older engines?
    2. Should non-ethanol gas be used to prevent unnecessary wear/degradation of fuel lines?

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Non ethanol is always the right choice regardless of age model etc .. especially if you can get it

Octane ..i do not recall what the 328 calls for in user manual ..what ever it says is fine ..if it was tuned for premium then use premium ..if tuned for regular from factory use regular

More important is to buy top tier gas (more additives) that will be better for the whole system in the long run ..i personally use shell ..but of course Mobil Exxon BP chevon etc all fit the bill

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Depends on what version 328. Ferrari's recommendation is shown in your 328 OM (but can be a little confusing because Ferrari specifies the R.O.N. octane rating of the fuel while US fuel pumps are labeled with the A.K.I. octane rating):

Euro 328 OM = 98-100 R.O.N. fuel = about 93-95 A.K.I. fuel in the US

US 328 OM = 95 minimum R.O.N. fuel = about 90 minimum A.K.I. fuel in the US

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Remember, premium gas is not "better quality" than regular gas. It just has a higher octane rating which may or MAY NOT be needed depending on the engine. As Steve pointed out, whatever the manufacturer says re octane rating is what the car should get. Putting a higher octane gas in an engine that doesn't need is just wasting money.

I've driven my '89 328 across the US three times, using gas with octane from 89 to 93 and, the first two times couldn't tell any difference in the way the engine ran. OTOH, when I changed the Microplex timing curve from the US to the Euro setting (very easy per info from RifleD on this site) some years ago, 89 would sometimes "ping" (detonate) if accelerating from low speed in a relatively high gear. 91 works fine.

FWIW, there is a noticeable difference in low-end acceleration with the Euro timing which has more bottom-end ignition advance than the US timing.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Find the nearest Buckees and fill it with non ethanol 93.

You're good to go then.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  6. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Same here She’ll V power no ethanol also better for winter storage

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    We don't have that here, unfortunately

8. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    That is strange Doc Shell has Ferrari’s in there adds all the time and then the don’t sell it in one of there biggest markets

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Key thing to remember... Ignoring additives that a particular gas station puts in their own flavors: Lower vs Higher octane gas isn't cleaner, more efficient, nor offers more power.

Higher octane gas simply takes more effort to combust. The rest of the 'savings' (efficiency, power) are due to the specific engine's own requirements. An engine designed to burn 89 gets no benefit from 93.

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I mean here as in my city.
    It may be other places.

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    FWIW, the only fuel I've ever used in my 328 since I bought it in '08 is normal (ethanol-added) gasoline at whatever gas station showed up when I decided I wanted to refuel. On interstate highway trips, priority went to service areas with a Subway sandwich shop!

For long term storage I add StaBil to the gas. I have stored the car for up to 7 months that way with the battery disconnected. It's always been "stored" for at least 4 months every year since purchase. Nowadays, it's stored for 6 months every year since we are in the UK for that period. Upon re-connection, car starts as if it had been running the day before.

IMO there is no need to be concerned about ethanol in gas for normal use of the car but I realize that some folks have the opposite view!;) The important thing is to do what you are comfortable with!

12. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Are the 328s equipped with knock sensors? Is there a function to automatically retard the timing in the event of detonation?

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    No. So unlike a modern car, if you use fuel with an octane that is too low, it can detonate under high load conditions whereas a modern car will just retard the ignition (and perhaps the valve) timing to accommodate the fuel with an appropriate reduction in max power.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    No

But they are also low compression engines.

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Their products are different in different markets all over the world. Some products are designed for a specific market an many states and countries with reformulated fuel restrict what can be in them.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And a reduction in mileage so there goes the fuel cost savings.

rjlloyd likes this.
  17. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I use 101 VP racing fuel at the pump , my 89 328 runs great. For these high performance older engines, the more efficient ( slower )the explosion in the cylinder, the better. With this fuel , I can hit 120 MPH in forth gear without a problem , much better than the crappy 91 at the pump here in California .Im fortunate that the gas is available right down the street from where I live . My 89 has a 104,000 miles, and runs like it did with 20,000 miles.

Thank you ,

18. recyclingstud

recyclingstud Rookie

Nov 7, 2014
    Thank you for all the responses and insight. Happy driving everyone!

19. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    I have a carbed 308 and only care that it is ethanol free. One station has 89, the other is a 91. Both work just fine. Just remember that the best gas you could get in 1989 is still probably not as good as basic 89 today….again aside from the ethanol.

20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Re Gino's comment...

An OEM 328 motor might produce a bit more power using non-ethanol gas because a greater volume of ethanol gas is required to produce the same HP as non-ethanol gas. Since the 3x8 fueling system was designed before ethanol gas , it provides the volume of fuel (based on straight gasoline) per the volume of air signaled by the MAF sensor. The 3x8 does not have an engine management system that can sense or perform adjustments that would increase the volume of ethanol gas or adjust timing/whatever to compensate.

I have no idea of the actual performance difference between ethanol/non-ethanol gas in a stock 3x8 but it would be easy to test on a dyno. I suspect it's very small...

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  21. s219

s219 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2021
    Pure ethanol contains 30% less energy per volume than pure gasoline. So an E10 mix (typical pump fuel) will have 97% of the energy of pure gasoline per volume or per volume flow rate. Thing is, older gas engines are only about 30% efficient, so the minor loss of chemical energy with E10 is probably peanuts by the time the engine converts the chemical energy to mechanical power and loses 70% along the way.

22. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    It’s not performance I am concerned about but the rest ethanol affects these cars hoses,Carbs,aluminum parts moisture absorption , just take something simple like your lawnmower it will gumm up the carb after time with ethanol gas every time

23. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "it will gumm up the carb after time with ethanol gas every time"

Yes - it will if left undisturbed for an extended period. OTOH, I have never had any problem with normal operation using ethanol gas in my 328 and that's all I've used since I bought it in '08. If the car is not being driven some fuel stabilizer like StaBil or similar will prevent any problems with gumming up, etc for at least 7 months in my personal experience though StaBil claims much longer protection than that. If the car is regularly driven, I've seen no evidence that 10% ethanol has any bad effect at all.

Heck it used to be common to add a can of "gas drier" (which was alcohol) to a tank of fuel. Now you don't have to; it's already there! ;)

24. s219

s219 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2021
    If you've been around long enough you will have seen pure gas gum up and varnish parts in a fuel system. Ethanol adds new issues, but that is not one of them. The biggest problems I have seen with ethanol is the way it deteriorates hoses and rubber parts in older fuel systems. It has been especially problematic with older marine fuel systems. I have seen many problems with the inner lining of fuel hoses collapsing or getting hard/brittle due to ethanol. It can be quite a project to replace the fuel lines and parts with modern ethanol-tolerant parts. Many rec boats have fuel tanks and plumbing under the floor deck, and access is challenging (sometimes the floor has to be cut open and then repaired afterwards).

I am guessing that most folks with 308/328 cars have by now replaced fuel hoses just due to age, and hopefully used modern products that will tolerate ethanol. If you must use ethanol fuel, don't let it sit -- be sure to cycle it through the system within a few months. If I have to let fuel sit in any of my vehicles, boats, or power equipment, I always use non-ethanol fuel. It is not readily available here, and I have to travel about 20 miles with a transfer tank to a fuel supplier to get some (same place I buy off-road diesel for my larger equipment).

For engines getting regular use, ethanol fuel has been OK for me. Last time I fueled up my 328 at the pump I put in E10 93 octane, about 10 gallons (I never fill up all the way since it's a pleasure car with limited driving). About a month later I added 5 gallons of non-ethanol 89 octane from the fuel supplier, mindful that it was below the recommended AKI 90 octane level so I was mentally blending with the previous 93). I cannot find higher octane non-ethanol fuel in the area, otherwise I'd prefer to use that exclusively in my 328.

I have had good luck with ValvTect-treated marine fuel when I fuel up my boat at a local marina. It is E10 with ValvTect blended in by the supplier. I since started buying ValvTect additive bottles to use with portable gas tanks, for both pure gas and E10. Like many of these products, it's anyone's guess whether it works or is snake oil, but it's been encouraging that the marina sells this stuff pre-blended and there haven't been any problems reported among that large customer base.

25. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    My Euro Carb GTB Dry Sump loves a 50/50 mix of 91 Non-ox and 100LL AVGAS