Tipping/gift for your AD Rep | FerrariChat

Tipping/gift for your AD Rep

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by dream cars, Mar 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
    So the high end watch world is new to me, after receiving my first Rolex from my AD this week I would like to show my appreciation to my sales rep for his helpfulness, professionalism and kindness. I was thinking of sending a note with a restaurant gift card to him at the store. Have you done any thing similar? I just don’t know what proper etiquette in this setting is.

Thank you in advance

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Proper etiquette would say that such a gratuity is unnecessary. In some cultures like Italy or Japan it would be seen as insulting.

However, your suggestion about a restaurant gift card is nice. A simple handwritten thank-you would probably see more than sufficient.
    (The AD can probably afford his own meals.)

Matt

3. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
    Thank you sir

4. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    Always follow the Golden Rule: Do unto others …

dream cars likes this.
  5. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Maybe a Starbucks card, if they are in a mall?

dream cars and Edward 96GTS like this.
  6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    becoming a repeat customer is all the thanks he needs

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Or a referral ..that is the best gift ..

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

8. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I would (and have) personalize it a bit more than a gift card- If logistics and schedules permit, take the guy to lunch- Everyone likes to get away for lunch and you can learn more about high end watches etc as well as build on the relationship for future maintenance or any replacement issues (bracelet/crystal etc. - although Rolex sport watches are pretty much indestructible)- and obviously any future purchases should you "get the bug". I've bought all three of my Rolexes from the same AD/person since 1995- first one (Datejust) order/wait due to it being custom/unique- the Daytona was a 7-year wait- the "Batman" was a 1-year wait so we have had several lunches over the years.

Just a suggestion- Cheers :)

9. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Also: cookies. Or cupcakes. They're not "over the top" and are always appreciated.

dream cars likes this.
  10. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Maybe something more personal yet practical like a very nice pen?

dream cars likes this.
  11. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    High end liquor is (almost) always appreciated.

dream cars likes this.
  12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    we usually have a small get together in the store over the holidays then I bring them some nice wine and they brought in some real nice platter of goodies.

13. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    What kind of a Rolex did you buy, and how long did you wait? If you walked in and bought it off the shelf, I don't think any kind of a gift is necessary...unless you are planning to buy more Rolexes.

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The Golden Rule is to treat others the way that you want to be treated.

The Platinum Rule is to treat others the way that they want to be treated.

It’s a big difference!

Matt

tres55, Il Tifoso and ronfrohock like this.
  15. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    They want business, not any gift.

Boomhauer likes this.
  16. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I would say they want repeat business - These days and for as long as I can recall Rolex ADs have more demand than supply. As I posted, a "gift" is de-personalized - offering to take the guy to lunch personalizes it - if the AD declines then at least the OP tried and shows his appreciation and lays the foundation for future purchases - if nothing else he went the extra mile in a class way to show his appreciation since apparently the AD was helpful, professional and kind - rare qualities for sellers who have more demand than supply.

Just my .02

JDZNate likes this.
  17. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I don't know of anyone who can "walk in and buy" a new Rolex - definitely not a steel sports model and most likely not even a two-tone sports model. Colorado has one of the largest Rolex ADs in the region and they have ZERO new Rolexes - none - of any style or price. A few pre-owned and that's it. Regardless, if the AD went out of his way for the OP or simply was kind, helpful and professional that alone warrants at least some personalized acknowledgement IMHO.

18. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Bit of a risk unless you a) know the AD drinks and b) know what he drinks. Bringing a bottle of Blanton's to a Scotch drinker or a bottle of Laphroaig to a Bourbon drinker or bringing either to a non-drinker is a miss. Granted they can always re-gift it but kinda loses the purpose. Just a thought :)

19. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    And, of course, if he drinks.

Liquor is not appreciated by recovering alcoholics.

Matt

20. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Excellent, excellent point!

Smiles likes this.
  21. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I know it sounds crazy :) to those of us with watch addictions :) but there are some folks out there who grind and save or perhaps take a portion of an inheritance or bonus etc. to buy a "dead guy" watch - i.e. the one, only and last watch they will ever buy new and own until they die and leave it to their son, daughter or other family member. That is often the case with Rolexes. Don't know if that is the case for the OP but even a one-time purchase of something high-end and hard to obtain where the seller went out of his/her way to me is worthy of acknowledgment.

Just a thought :)

22. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ok Mike - Times up (no pun intended :) ) What Rolex did you acquire? Interested watch nerds are dying to know/see - Pic please and if you feel like sharing some of the background behind the purchase and details of the purchase - (not how/what you paid or anything like that but things like how long did you have to wait? what made you decide on the model/config you got etc.) - if not, no biggie. Usually every watch has a story - all mine do - sometimes interesting to share.

Cheers :)

23. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
    I posted on another thread but here you go

37 days ago I went into my local Rolex store and expressed interest in a Submariner and got on their list. About three hours ago I got a call telling me if I was still interested they had one with my name on it. I wasshocked that was the last thing I expected to happen today
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ah yes - I recall seeing your post - apologies! That is absolutely beautiful and AMAZING that you got it in 37 days - I think rather than a gift or lunch I would be mowing my ADs lawn for a year if he got me a steel Sub in 37 days in this market!

Thanks for posting on here - That is a classic and will NEVER go out of style, fail, break etc. As I read in an article several years ago about my GMT II (but applies to all Rolex sports watches) - "your arm or wrist will break long before you Rolex does" - Enjoy :)

So did you decide what you want to do for your AD? Lots of great feedback in this thread - Cheers :)

zygomatic and dream cars like this.
  25. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    In 2021,collected the most watch in any year, i bought mostly Rolexes, but I also got other brands.

They gave you a watch, you have to support them by giving some business. Thats it.

Forget gifts. Theres no wait list. If they know you, they will call you.

Got a call for a DD40 last week while on vacation. They remember you due to prior business. Thats how it is.

Attached Files: