Boxers are undervalued | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Boxers are undervalued

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ross, Dec 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    if i recall, the fabric inserts were actually a cheaper option than full leather.....so as you say, just some used car banter....

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
  3. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    The 365 sounds like a steal in this market. It is lower than pre-pandemic prices. Even with the respray in wrong color and needing a full service.

4. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Agree it's a steal, though I think this would likely need more than a full service as long as it's been static. For me it would be a full restoration as it sits. Even still, worth the money..

turbo-joe likes this.
  5. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller

LOL thats a great way to describe it.

6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Another Data point:

1983 512BBi Chassis 44949 with 17K Miles - Sold BaT, 2022-03-05, North Chicago, IL USA for $233K USD
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-ferrari-512-bbi-2/

I created a doc thread on the car located here:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1983-512bbi-chassis-44939.656162/

Cheers,

Sam

Carl A likes this.
  7. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  8. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    BAT result was a buyer's choice!
    These have drop so very much in value

9. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    We are in arguably one of the greatest run ups ever of ALL car values except our beloved (or really not!)Boxers.With it this bad now when the market does tank they will sink further.I’m not in the car speculation market at all (for me cars are NOT an investment!-but a TRUE LOVE AND PASSION!)but I’ve ALWAYS maintained owning ANY car is about “cost of ownership”-one needs to “hedge” their bets-especially expensive ones to maintain)so it helps if values rise to offset the costs involved.Unfortunately I do not see a run up on boxer values any time soon.That RM one was an outlier with SPECTACULAR service history and a Classiche car to boot!Does the Boxers costly service hold it back-somewhat I would guess.Are it’s line not “pretty” like a Dino-nope.Is it a GT car like the Daytona-certainly not!This is a true FERRARI enthusiast car therefore the market is limited.I LOVE mine-TRULY LOVE IT!!!I have to admit though that if the market were strong (think decent well maintained ones at $325-$350) as the old days I’d consider selling but not because I’d want to but I’m older now and I would/will need the money to “inch” my way to retirement.ANY of the cars I’ve sold in the past Im never going to be able to buy them back again with the Boxer definitely being the same.I’d regret It FOREVER!

LightGuy and G. Pepper like this.
  10. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I don't understand this. It's one of my all time favorite Ferraris. Had a poster of one when I was in high school.

An L88 Corvette was bid up to $640K just the other day. Seems a nice Boxer should be above $350K to me, but I don't understand the market very well.

11. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    At one time the Porsche 996 was terrible out of fashion, then prices did cray things

12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The Boxer is an under apprciated supercar. Best deal on a classic Ferrari by far. A Daytona drives like a truck.
    IMO much more important that the 288 GTO which many claim to be the best modern Ferrari. Most have driven neither.
    Hey; I dont make the market but just observe and respond to it.
    930 Turbos were selling for 40 grand not too long ago.
    Will the Boxer gain that speculative resurgance ? Who knows. Probably not unless the hype machine gets behind it.
    A mass produced friggen 430 stick gets more $ than a Boxer.
    The times are crazy.

turbo-joe and G. Pepper like this.
  13. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Now that 512tr is over $400k....the bb ought to be at at $500!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    All day long. Super nice platinum type cars should be approaching $700k.

It should be impossible to pay less than that for something like this.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

wlanast, EZORED, LightGuy and 4 others like this.
  15. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Stuning.
    Awesome pics. Thanks.
    Have to say the most beautiful Ferrari ever. This includes the Daytona and 275GTB.
    Thats why I bought one.
    I still get emotional seeing one after all these years.

16. 71veedub

71veedub Formula Junior

May 31, 2006
    Boston/North Shore
    Full Name:
    Greg
    @sherpa23 stunning car! I think it's black? but cannot rule out dark blue..

I think that's the only one I've seen with clear lenses on the usually yellow lights ahead of the headlights, but the clear really looks good. What are those lights, and were some clear from the factory or is that aftermarket? 512TR owner, hope to see/ride in a BB someday.. cheers!

sherpa23 likes this.
  17. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Black car. Italian market so white lenses.

71veedub likes this.
  18. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    One has to remember that these cars were not truly expensive supercar price range when new. And they made quite a few compared to most collectible Ferrari's. I bought a new BB for $55,000, had it legalized by Amerispec for about $20,000. Low cost base Zegna interior back then. Drove it from Connecticut(Amerispec) to California in the late 70's. Have owned a total of 5 over the years, last 4 BBi's. Have seen the values go up and down, always the stepchild Ferrari. Back in the late 80's they went from about $250,000 down to the $100,000 range depending on condition.
    And they have done that fluctuation in the last 15 years or so too. Always about half of a Daytona price.Not many true low mile ones left, so condition is the key these days. Many not well taken care of, so cost to truly have them right too costly, thus the low prices on most.
    And now the low priced ones are not the more rare Zegna interior versions, those seem to bring more $$ than full leather now.

The key if one wants one is to find the best and pay up for it, the good ones are hard to find now and will always be worth more. Especially truly original cars, not restored. You have to love the lines, some do some do not. Not a great car to drive in traffic or hot weather, so limited now to minimal use/collections.
    Just my thoughts.
    John

375+, boxerman and sherpa23 like this.
  19. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Lucky me was able to drive a Daytona, C/4, 330 GTS, a 288 and a 512 BBi [all my Dad's] and a GTC and carb Boxer [mine] back through the 70s and 80s. The 288 was bought new by my mom as a father's day gift. It was tight and fast but a bit squirrely when nearing the limits. Daytona was a blast once you get rolling. The 330s? Still my faves even though it now just my GTC. I have a preference for carb BBs over injected....personal experience. I have a Carobu-bent '81 BB w/ 470 hp. Induction roar is sweet.

Cars are worth $0 until you sell. I ain't sellin' my BB.

ross, sherpa23, pshoejberg and 2 others like this.
  20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

21. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #121 sherpa23, Mar 15, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    Say it ain’t so! :(

22. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#122 dwhite, Mar 15, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    I'm prepping it now. Love the car and I enjoyed it a bunch, so there will be none of the wish I had driven it more. Just not going to work for me in FL even though the AC blows ice cold.

I did a lot of maintenance to it and the more I drove it, the better it ran, they like to keep moving.

I got it from Adams H. who is/was a big-time Ferrari/car enthusiast and he treated the car very well.

Drive those Boxers folks.

sherpa23 likes this.
  23. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    What will you replace it with?

By the way, the 512BBi that I got was driven like 10 miles in 20 years and even though it got regular servicing and fluid changes, was well stored and kept in good operating order, it doesn't run like it would with regular use. So working on that part now. :D

G. Pepper likes this.
  24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Maybe but Johnaz hit the nail on the head. Of the ones out there many are pretty but few have been well looked after. Its rare when I see a good one. So many have been rode hard and put up wet for too many years. And of the cars that were federalized, often the quality of that work was a terrible disservice.

ross likes this.
  25. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I did PPI's on seven cars that all looked the part until I found one that was as nice on the insides as it was on the outsides.

Typical problems I found in the others: rotten suspension bits, particularly bushings, etc. One car in particular that was told "could go and win platinum at Cavallino" couldn't even drive straight and the underside looked like it had never seen in a wrench since it left the factory in '84. Several were low on power with no work in the service records to address that even though that complaint was noted at service drop off (so basically ignored). Other issues included a couple of bad clutches with strange pick up points, lots of broken down hoses and other bits in the engine bay, etc.

The most common thing that I could say is that for the most part just about every car I found had long periods of no care or use. I found only one car that received consistent care through its life (the one I bought). The thing that every other car I looked at had in common was years of not a single service or any kind of work (or use) and then a flurry of $30k+ work in prep to sell. And while that maybe makes for a good car every once in a while, it didn't seem to help any of the cars I looked at because they all still had tons of needs.

And if there's one thing about a Boxer is that it can swallow exorbitant amounts of money in the blink of an eye and you might wonder where it all went because the car could still have myriad needs.

In time, when all the Boxers are brought up to a top level with top quality care, the cars on the market will reflect that and prices will come up. No one wants a statuesque money pit.

turbo-joe likes this.