Rolex Explorer II service | FerrariChat

Rolex Explorer II service

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by italiafan, Mar 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I have sent my Rolex Explorer II (forget model number but it is from mid-90s) off for full service through a Rolex AD.
    There was a chip out of the crystal so they said they have to replace that for warranty purpose.
    I told them under no circumstance are they to polish the watch, it has a thousand little scratches all over it and the bracelet...but to me that is well-earned patina.
    They seems shocked by that (as if I were nuts) and I had to have two separate conversations with AD regarding that and insisted they put it in writing on the work order form.
    Am I crazy? What do you guys do?
    (btw...about 12 weeks to get it back)

2. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Normal. I saw a guy in my local AD, who insisted they not polish his GMT Pepsi. It was very scratched and faded. He replied, "100 missions over North Vietnam." I have had a few watches serviced that have memories, so no cosmetic work, only service. I have others that I want to look like new when serviced.

A Rolex AD should be familiar with that. It is not something new or eccentric, but not all employees at an AD are experienced with it. When they provide you with the complete estimate, follow up again on no cosmetic work other than the crystal.

Il Tifoso and italiafan like this.