This beautiful SA sold cheap | FerrariChat

This beautiful SA sold cheap

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Mar 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Ryan S., NE550, JohnnyRay and 2 others like this.
  2. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    HGTC and US specification. Would be surprised if it doesn’t end up on the other side of the pond.

F456M likes this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, nice one. LHD Ferraris seem to be taking a bit of a hit over there. Easily imported.

Ryan S. likes this.
  4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    How much would it retail for in the US, any ideas?

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Beautiful cars, but those $93,000 roof panels are notorious for breaking and delaminating.

Themaven, EnzoItaly, Ryan S. and 2 others like this.
  6. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Well, not really. SA Glass roofs do not brake that easily and delamination only happened because of a faulty ECU. Once the ECU is replaced (recall from the factory in period) the problem is solved.

This mean that if the roof is in good shape, there is no particular reason for new problems to occur.

However, it is true that if the roof is cracked or delaminated, replacing it costs a fortune, if even possible, depending on availability.

Ryan S., dsd and F456M like this.
  7. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Interesting. What did the faulty ecu due to cause physical issues?

8. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    There was one that sold cheap here at Mecum as well. Not too much more than that IIRC in January...was also essentially new with low low miles.

The market doesn't seem to care for them.

With those roof replacement costs, I don't blame it. Maybe if they hit $1m+ mark one day the $100k replacement cost would be justifiable.

Themaven likes this.
  9. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    The problem came from the ECU that controls the electrochromic function (ie that makes the glass roof darker or more transparent).

First ECUs did not regulate the electric input properly and did provoke permanent delamination. Interestingly, the factory organised a recall campaign for these ICUs, thus recognising the problem) but the replacement for free of damaged roofs were never considered.

The 575SA I purchased long time ago had a delaminated roof and ECU was replaced. I eventually got a brand new replacement roof and asked the Fchat community for advices before actually have it fitted on my car. I wanted to make sure that the same problem would not occur again!

I got quite a few responses from fellow SA owners who got their roofs replaced and all said that the delamination problem never happened again. I eventually decided to have the new roof installed on my car (4 years ago if I remember correctly) and so far it still looks brand new. I still have the delaminated roof aside as those roofs, even delaminated, are rare birds!

marce, Themaven and dsd like this.