warm up regulators | FerrariChat

warm up regulators

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Capt. Rich, Mar 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    My 1984 BBi is starting to stall when I take my foot off the accelerator and go to a coast. This is starting to happen at any speed and gear selection. I can pop the clutch in gear and it starts right up. I can't keep driving and use this method to keep the car running. Is this what happens when the warm up regulators start to fail? I pretty much have the AC working OK so now I move on to the next glitch.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #2 Rifledriver, Mar 16, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
    BBis had a lot of trouble with that if not set up right. The mixtures need to be right and the same on each side set with an exhaust analyzer. Then with a manometer or vacuum gauges the banks need to be balanced at 750 or so RPM with the air bleed screws closed using the throttle stop screws only. Then air bleeds opened to about 950-1000 with A/C on then mixtures reset. I always tested by revving it sharply and let throttle snap closed. It shouldn't drop much more than about 100 rpm below idle as it settles. If for some reason the warm up regulators are suspect they should be tested and if needed rebuilt prior to any tuning. Those were modified in nearly 100% of the federalized cars. Most were corrected by now but they can still cause trouble. Most pay little attention to proportions of air at idle coming from throttle plates or air bleeds and it really does matter. Also so many try to adjust mixture by ear but are shocked to see one on an analyzer and see what huge changes they are making with small changes of the screw. Also any BB with running issues really need to be sure the distributor advance is working correctly. Few get anywhere near the attention they need to keep working correctly.

2dinos and turbo-joe like this.
  3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    As Brian wrote, measuring the cold and warm control pressures of the WURs (to determine if they have a problem that needs to be fixed) is the first diagnostic step to take before attempting re-tweaking. If OK, then proceed to making the checks/adjustments that Brian listed.

Another wild card in your situation (a Boxer living in the US) is what modifications and/or un-modifications it's had -- are you back to completely stock, or still as-modified by the Importer, or in some unknown state of partial un-modification? Do you have a frequency valve and an aftermarket ECU added, and still present, on your Boxer? Can you post some pictures of the engine bay showing the injection systems and lines?

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Also Richard as I recall when I saw it the exhaust was not stock? Does it still have cats?

5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    The expertise that Brian, Steve, Wade and others share on this board is always GREATLY appreciated.

Even without a BBi…. Thanks to you!

turbo-joe and ago car nut like this.
  6. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    CIS injection is pretty simple. As far as the distributor goes its pretty simple. You can always throw it in a box and send it to me. Not an expensive deal at all. Don B knows how to find me. The test for the regulators is simple but takes a special tool that is not expensive. Google CIS Test gauges and you'll come up with several choices starting at around $120. Think of all the money you'll save. There are plenty of people here that can help you get through it.

I don't know the history of the car but the years and quite a bit of non use takes its toll on that system. It may need a few things but there is a very good guy who rebuilds the stuff in Alabama.

8. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    Thanks Brian. Don B is one of my good friends that has checked the car out. With his aid I was able to get the AC working. He wanted to know what your thoughts are. He had the outfit in Alabama refurbish his WURs. My BBi has just starting acting up like this and Don said his BBi did the same thing. Refurbished WURs and his car has never driven so well.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well 2 things. As I said, most were modified when federalized. No telling what has been done since. The other is none of those parts was really intended to last this long. If they have not been serviced in a long time they are probably due. Ask Don if he has any of the test equipment. I'm not sure how much work he does himself.

2dinos likes this.