Pertronix Ignition | FerrariChat

Pertronix Ignition

Discussion in '206/246' started by Ducati348, Mar 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ducati348

Ducati348 Karting

May 15, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Alex Scroppo
    My 1972 Dino (US Model) has 6 lobe distributor with dual points using an MSD 6A unit with an MSD brand coil. I was wanting to convert the points/condenser over to a Pertronix unit (9MR-161A); however, the kit sold by Pertronix is only suitable for a 3 lobe cam. Has anyone made the 9MR-161A kit work for a 6 lobe distributor cam?

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Why not keep points & condenser with OEM type coil & external resistor ?
    Just get rid of all MSD stuff and by-pass original Dinoplex box.
    Seem to work fine on a few US market Daytonas I’ve done this to.

3. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    On my 72’ US model, I am going back to original and fortunately, the prior owners kept the parts.

4. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Keep the points and condenser and get a Winterburn module to replace the Dinoplex.

5. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    After years of trying various ignition systems, all of which fail, I took the plunge and opted for the Winterburn unit with standard points. Haven't got around to fitting it yet but from what i heard its reliable and works, which is all I want.

Incidentally its built like a tank, solid and robust!
    Tony

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    P.S. Years ago I had a persistent problem with Pertronix conversion in a Daytona, sought advise & assistance from them which, even after 2 in-person visits to their HQ (45 minutes away from my location) and explaining/showing some of their product design/engineering flaws to their staff, was less than helpful.
    Eventually, I corrected them myself, but since have experienced couple of other issues with Pertronix on (non-Ferrari) vintage cars and now categorically get rid of them by converting everything back to OEM setups, which are reliable and easily serviceable.

JCR likes this.
  7. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    I have run into a Pertronix unit that was faulty from the beginning, but that was the exception. When I tried on in the Dino, it didn't work well and I read that they don't actually make one for the Dino, it had to be put on with modifications - that may no longer be the case. I finally had a Luminition unit installed, which, again wasn't built for the Dino and had to be "fitted" to the shaft. I like electronic triggers - once their dialed in, set it and forget it...

8. Ribolla_67

Ribolla_67 Karting

Sep 6, 2016
    Austria
  9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #9 TTR, Mar 18, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    Same with points & condenser distributors.
    I do have a few hundred thousand miles between +/-100 vintage cars featuring OEM (points & condenser) ignition systems in past 4+ decades and never experienced an issue of complete failure due such setup.
    Just about all ignition related issue/problem, including complete failures, I’ve ever experienced has been with various electronic systems and especially aftermarket.
    Then again, I drive (my) vintage cars extensively and always have.
    YMMV and OTOH, I’ll be happy to learn from those with more experience…

Martyt likes this.