Pirelli Tires for Cali T | FerrariChat

Pirelli Tires for Cali T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by mdarwin, Mar 19, 2022.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdarwin

mdarwin Rookie

Sep 10, 2021
    Hi F-Chat members.

I hope someone can help me with tire recommendation.
    Replacing the tires on a '16 California T and have option of the P Zero or PZ4.

Tried looking up specs and seems like PZ4 has slightly better ratings, but wondering if anyone has experience or comments to share.

Thank you.

2. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    I recently became a Michelin Man and they are great!

Bill Phillips, whatheheck and tomc like this.
  3. LondonParis

LondonParis Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    PZ4...is a newer tread design and construction, it is better than classic PZero.

Michelin PS4S has a wider temperature range, and if you are going to push hard or lightly track the car they are the better bet.

245/35/ZR20 and 285/35/ZR20 ferrari marked sizes are available from both companies.

Bill Phillips and whatheheck like this.
  4. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    Also the Michelin PS4S is strictly a summer tire. Temps below 65, the tire is like a hockey puck. So depends on where you are. The Pirrelli's are more forgiving in lower temps.

5. LondonParis

LondonParis Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    Here are the 285/35 PZero (left) and PZ4 PZero rear tread patterns...at first blush you might be surprised how much better the PZ4 is when its wet.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here is the 285/35 Michelin PS4S...tread pattern (note the tire in the background is the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I have all these tires in my garage and use them regularly. Wear wise the PZero and PS4S are effectively new and the PZ4 has 5000 km on it.

Grip and handling...PS4S hands down
    Highway and GT driving ... Pirelli is quieter and ever so slightly better fuel economy
    When its cold and greasy....Pilot Alpin 4...neither of the summer tires is appropriate.

I run the winter tires from Nov-Mar and you would be surprised how well they perform.

If I could only buy one...the Michelin PS4S is it.

Bill

thomastrain likes this.
  6. mcw

mcw Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    My 2016 Cali T has had Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (K1 Ferrari fronts) on the 20 inch wheels since mid-2019. I put about 5,000 miles on them in the last year, all in southern California sunshine. I only do standard street driving without rain or snow, and would happily replace with the same when needed. Steering is the most important feature on Ferrari cars for me. This combination of wheel and tire gives me the desired finesse.

7. mdarwin

mdarwin Rookie

Sep 10, 2021
    I really appreciate all the insight. Thank you

8. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Michelin PS4S every time. I replaced my Pirellis six months ago and the Michelins are orders of magnitude better.

9. Alex326

Alex326 Rookie

Aug 12, 2022
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex Rouch
    Good insight and glad I checked this thread. I'm about to replace my Pirelli's P zero and was going to stick with the Pirelli's but am now highly considering the Michelin PS4S

Bill Phillips likes this.
  10. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Please do yourself a favor and switch to the Michelins, you’ll notice the improvement immediately.

11. Alex326

Alex326 Rookie

Aug 12, 2022
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex Rouch
    Took your advice Bill and ordered the Michelins. They get installed on Monday.