Current consensus on 599 stereo | FerrariChat

Current consensus on 599 stereo

Discussion in '612/599' started by GasAdams, Mar 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GasAdams

GasAdams Rookie

Jun 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Gas Adams
    I've actually never turned on my stereo. For one thing, I never wanted to. For another, I don't have the code!

I'm planning some road trips this summer and thought I might like having some music. Here are my questions:

1. Is the stock stereo good? I really want to hook up my iphone/spotify, so this might be moot.
    2. How could I get the code?
    3. Most important...has anyone recently put in an after market stereo? What did you use? I've seen some old threads and those recommendations don't really exist anymore.
    Thanks! Sorry to bring up an old topic again.
    Gas

2. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Several years ago I got rid of the original Becker unit and replaced with a “Porsche Classic Radio.” Logic and functions similar to a Porsche PCM system and fits in the single DIN space and allows closure of the 599 radio cover. Provides current electronics, XM/Sirius radio, navigation. Only downside is it won’t operate the Becker CD changer. Porsche recently upgraded this and is now called PCCM and this new unit includes ApplePlay. Not cheap. I am please with the performance over the Becker unit. The custom shop was able to silkscreen over the “PORSCHE” script on the faceplate.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    Caphill and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I find it incredible that Ferrari put this garbage infotainment system in the car. I have an '07 S550, which I happen to be trading tomorrow. My 599 is an '08. The difference in the two systems is shocking. In 15 years the stereo system in the Mercedes has been fabulous. By comparison, the 599 stereo is such that you can't even adjust the equalization of the system, among all its other problems. We're talking about a $100K car vs a $350K car, that's crazy!

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree- the 599 stereo is rubbish. But you can get to the eq with a bit of fiddling. Being able to adjust the eq really does help- but its still pretty bad. (I wrote to a friend that the sound one you access the eq went from Alex Grahm Bell tin cans with taught string to pretty darn good!)

Below are my notes. I learned the process to enable from another F-Chatter and I don't remember who you are so Im sorry I can't give you the credit. If you remember, please just speak up.

My notes on where I ended up with my own settings are also below. As to modifying the stereo, it is possible, but ultimately you are limited by the small and poor speaker locations. You could spend a fortune and still not get a great stereo. You might be able to get one of those Bovee or Invery adapters- it plugs into the iPod port and makes it bluetooth for your modern phone. I do this in my 458. I tried both adapters and find the Invery works better- I have to run it in its most basic mode for it to work consistently.

As to the radio code, I think the dealers can get it, but its a bit of a pain in the neck.

On to the radio.

Push the 2 buttons above the 2 knobs along with the lower right button below the right knob all at the same time.

This will put you into a hidden menu and you can select the Bose option. Then you need to enter your radio code- this allows you access to the equalizer in the sound menu. It has preset curves and 4 user save presets....

Here are my settings.
    599 GTB / what I did when I had a GTO (not sure why I made the changes- my GTB was a very early car)
    EQ:
    50hz: +8 / 0
    200hz: +6 / +1
    700hz: 0 / 0
    2.7khz: +1 / 0
    10khz:+1 / 3
    Balance & Fader: 0
    Loudness: Off
    Ferrari Surround: On, medium size vehicle. (Larger vehicle makes the sound more echoey but I dont hear any advantage and the echo is annoying to me)
    Subwoofer: +10
    Crossovers: Front & rear: off (this basically sends all the bass to the sub where it needs to be in this setup. Any other setting restricts the bass output of the system. In a car you want it to sound very heavy when sitting still because when you move a lot of it will evaporate.)
    Subwoofer crossover: 150hz
    Compression: Off

KonaVette, rynoshark, 246 and 4 others like this.
  6. GasAdams

GasAdams Rookie

Jun 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Gas Adams
    Thank you all. The information is great, and I really like the modern look of the touch screen. I called Crutchfield and they said they couldn't help. I was wondering about the speakers, too, so that's good information to have. I may just listen to the engine! I'll keep you all informed if I figure out anything.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Thank you for this! I'm sure most of us had no idea you could do this, it will help greatly, thanks again.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My pleasure and, likewise, I would not have known but for another F-Chatter :)

Skidkid likes this.
  9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    THIS is the reason I love this place.

George Vosburgh and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There was a "Bose" option for the 599 - it was not spectacular but had specific amplifier and speakers, as well as a bass box.

11. GasAdams

GasAdams Rookie

Jun 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Gas Adams
    That's interesting about "Bose". On top of my dash in the middle there is a single speaker that says "Bose". None of the other speakers or the radio say Bose, though. Is that normal?

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    No. I believe I have the Bose option but there isn't a speaker in the middle of the dash. Overall, it looks pretty normal.

13. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Also with the Bose upgrade, the system is crap.
    Changing the CD Radio, and you can live reasonably with the sound quality.

Daniel

14. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    Gas - if you are UK based i used Oxford car Audio, was less than £1k fitted and fully reversable.

15. GasAdams

GasAdams Rookie

Jun 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Gas Adams
    Thanks, Justin. I'm US based in Colorado. I got the stereo out and am working on sorting out what all the wires go to. Then, I'll buy something and will try to hook it up! I'll update this a bit later once I sort it all.

16. GasAdams

GasAdams Rookie

Jun 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Gas Adams
    Now I'm a bit confused. Using all the info above, I got my new kenwood head unit wired up. It goes on and connects via blue tooth to my iphone. It plays...but no sound comes out of any speakers. I connected the 5 speakers as described above using the socket B wires...positive and negative. They are all wired up.

My question...what do I do with the "Line Out" wires? There appears to be 5 line out wires...one for each speaker.

Thanks!

17. Neeham

Neeham Rookie

Mar 25, 2022
    UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Hammacott
    I am picking up a 599 in a couple of weeks so I’ve started to look at stereo / nav upgrades. I see that Ferrari sell a more modern unit with a flip out screen, DAB and you can also add a reversing camera. Has anyone tried this out? I’m guessing expensive for what it is?

18. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    A good first move with this era of Ferrari, is to ditch the standard speakers, made by the brother in law of the guy who owns the coffee shop down the road from the factory, with a decent brand like Focal. It won't turn your car into a nightclub but it will bring a clarity and musicality to the sound, without having to install big amps. (You can also have very loud stereos that sound bad.) After that you need wattage, but the speakers are the first weak link, like having bald tyres.

The real answer would be to redesign the soundstage from ground up, but that's pretty much impossible unless you want your car to look like a mobile disco. There just isn't the reverberation space in the door cards. Bentleys and Astons which do sound systems well in this era designed their cars around the sound - Bentley made a point of creating their own CD for journalists on their media launch, to play on the Naim hifi in the Conti GT that was contemporaneous to the 599 and 612. Interior was designed around the speakers.

19. Kyle Stoffer

Kyle Stoffer Karting

Sep 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kyle R Stoffer
    I concur, the stereo in the 599 is possibly the worst thing I have ever heard. I’ve got a 2011, compared to my 2009 911 GT2 it is absolute garbage…and the system in the GT2 isn’t anything to write home about.

I’ve just accepted the fact that the only radio that is needed is the Enzo v12. You are better off spending $500 on a set of Fabspeed cat delete pipes…if you thought the car sounded good stock, it is unreal with this simple change. No radio mods necessary .

I’ve got a 2011 HGTE, I believe the exhaust was slightly different (Tubi) than the non-HGTE but I can’t imagine it sounded that different.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. GasAdams

GasAdams Rookie

Jun 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Gas Adams
    I did it. I successfully put in a new head unit. No new speakers and stock amp.

I went with a Kenwood KDC-BT378U unit. It's an inexpensive unit (~$150), but that's ok. I know I won't use it much, just on highway trips. Still, it sounds a lot better than stock! It did take a bit of tuning, but it's easy. It has bluetooth and hooks up to my iphone 12 with no issue. The door closes fine, too. It's a perfect fit.

Here's what I did:
    • to take the stereo out, first slide the Ferrari logo to the right. This allows the small panel to the left to pop off, exposing the little slot for the radio removal tool. I love this...no need to pry it off. It's like a secret Ferrari thing.
    • Use your radio tools to pop the radio out. I had to buy new ones, which I just got on Amazon. Just look up Becker stereo removal tools.
    • Then, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRhoLBfC_Cs
    • Pull out the stereo. There are three piles of wires.
    • Follow this link: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/anyone-have-the-color-codes-for-radio-harness.542706/
    • scroll down to KevinRevin's entry about halfway down. You'll see a picture the front and back of the becker
    • I used the diagram of Socket B to wire everything to the Kenwood.
    • On Socket A, I used the wires 4, 7 and 8 for power and ground.
    • At this point, the stereo will work fine...but you won't get sound. I was seriously frustrated at this point, as you'll see from my above posts.
    • But, then I found Normal Guy Supercar at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfl49oZa0uJq_5ZpOb9drrQ For the life of me, I can't find the link to the actual video on his youtube channel, but he said to connect the antenna/amp wire (white with red stripe, Number 5 on Socket A, to the power. That worked!
    • All the other wires I just left unconnected and pushed back behind the stereo.
    And that's it! All speakers have sound and it's pretty darn good. I'm not a stereo or wiring expert by any means, but it wasn't that bad.

Thank you everyone for all the help! I love FerrariChat! I hope this helps.
    Gas Adams
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kyle Stoffer and Skidkid like this.