612 F1A clutch smell | FerrariChat

612 F1A clutch smell

Discussion in '612/599' started by bennzwel, Mar 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bennzwel

bennzwel Karting

Nov 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    B N
    Hi all,
    I have a 05 612 F1A with 12,000 miles on the clock. I noticed after each drive ( in sport mode and manual gear change ) strong smell of clutch coming from the back.

I drive the car spiritedly when temperature is at the right level but without redlining it.

Is this a common thing with 612 and this generation of F1? Gear changes and drive are perfect . Mostly open road driving with 20 mins city driving without extensive traffic .

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Have somebody that knows what they are doing perform an F1 fluid change if it has not been done recently. Then they can bleed, do a self test, and reset PIS (point of initial slippage).

3. bennzwel

bennzwel Karting

Nov 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    B N
    Thanks, it just had the F1 fluid change a week ago with PIS performed . There are no gear skipping or anything else as such. Just the smell

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Did the smell start after the service?

5. bennzwel

bennzwel Karting

Nov 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    B N
    I only took delivery of the car last week, however I took it for a test drive and had it inspected by the Ferrari mechanic . I could smell the clutch then but thought F1 oil change and PIS will sort it out .

I thought maybe my driving style puts strain on the car as it was designed for GT than spirited driving

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Except for reversing up hills, or even starting up steep hills in first, whaling on an F1 Ferrari should not cause a clutch smell. The system actually likes that. I would take her back where you bought her and let them check their work. The 612 F1 system is a pain to reach compared to a 575M.

bennzwel likes this.
  7. bennzwel

bennzwel Karting

Nov 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    B N
    Thanks, will get it checked

8. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Needs a new clutch.

9. bennzwel

bennzwel Karting

Nov 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    B N
    Gear changes are pretty spot on and drive is flawless , but perhaps the clutch plate was glazed by someone who drove it before.
    Does it warrant a replacement ?

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    612 clutch should not be worn out at 12000 miles with the updated F1A software. If you do not trust the shop you bought it from, go to someone else with an SD3.

11. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    PIS set point seems like a good shout to me. Its a slightly subjective process to set, but looks like its allowing too much slip.

As Taz says, the system runs like a regular manual, so shouldn't slip at all once moving. The clutch smell isn't normal then. Only time you might expect this is reversing up a hill where the clutch is working hard and never really engaging fully.

12. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Smell from the rear could be a hung up brake caliper. The cluch is in front, and the smell is kind of the same.

13. bennzwel

bennzwel Karting

Nov 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    B N
    So I was told the clutch is actually right before the engine in the front. But what I smell comes from the rear axle . However the mechanic did another PIS procedure which seems to reduced the smell.

Could the smell be from gearbox or differential ?

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If the transaxle is leaking, yes. Otherwise, unlikely. The clutch is in front of the torque tube and behind the engine. To change the clutch, you either need to remove the transaxle or slide it back.

15. Anthony James

Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    After a short ride...carefully touch your rims. If you have a hung up caliper it will be exceptionally hotter near the hub.

16. bennzwel

bennzwel Karting

Nov 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    B N
    Tried that and they seem at average temperature. The smell is not break related . But I’m getting the car on the hoist to inspect

Anthony James likes this.
  17. Anthony James

Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex