612 Scaglietti Chrome Grille inserts | FerrariChat

612 Scaglietti Chrome Grille inserts

Discussion in '612/599' started by HyperGallardo, Jun 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HyperGallardo

HyperGallardo Rookie

Aug 3, 2010
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I was wondering if anybody has had the same problem. I washed my 612 two days ago and heard a metal piece drop on the ground when I popped the hood. The metal piece that fell to the ground was one of vertical aluminum grille insert pieces. I found the empty slot to pop it back in, but it would not stay. I guess the aluminum pieces are just glued in between the spaces in the plastic grille. For a 300k car, I would expect the grille to be something better than plastic with metal pieces glued into it. What really got me furious was when I noticed that four other grille insert pieces were already missing. Just wondering if anybody has had the same problem and what you ended up doing to take care of the problem.

Thanks

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Alex- Have not had that problem, but I would glue them on if it were mine. Use a light coat of epoxy to fasten. Grab all of the trim pieces and see if you can pull them loose. Glue all those that come loose and keep pulling in the future. If you lose one of those little pieces it may be impossible to find anything but a complete replacement grille.

Some owners of 456/Ms have noted a similar problem. Luckily, the 612 has about the cheapest grille I have seen at $600-700.

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=272607

Taz
    Terry Phillips

3. BB456MGT

BB456MGT Karting

Aug 22, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Konstantinos
    I have also had the same problem. ...ended up purchasing a used grill for its metal pieces. Used the black rubber glue to hold them in place. Konstantinos

4. HyperGallardo

HyperGallardo Rookie

Aug 3, 2010
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks Terry for the info.

Alex

5. HyperGallardo

HyperGallardo Rookie

Aug 3, 2010
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Where did you end up finding a used grille? Ebay? I could use one as well. Thanks

6. BB456MGT

BB456MGT Karting

Aug 22, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Konstantinos
    Euros ares in the UK.

7. BB456MGT

BB456MGT Karting

Aug 22, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Konstantinos
    It is Eurospares (...hate that autocorrect function!)

8. Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey Karting

Jul 29, 2009
    Florida
    I had the exact same problem with my 612. The chrome strips are poorly glued on and one of mine fell off. If your car is still under warranty then have them fit a complete new grille. That is what I had done. The dealer said that there could be a problem with some 612 grilles. Now that other 612 owners are complaining of similar problems it is very clear there is a 'real' problem with the 612 grille.

9. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    Yesterday I was buffing a bit of wax off the front bumper of my 41,000 mile '05 and had this same experience, a faint clinking sound followed with the discovery of a shiny piece of grille trim lying on the floor. I discovered that there was another piece about to come off, and four more are missing! I just bought this car about two weeks ago, so we are still getting to know each other. My thoughts roamed to the memory of all the '50s and '60s garden variety American cars with die cast grilles, and wondered how in good conscience a car costing one hundred times as much as these could fall short of that Detroit assembly-line level of quality in its materials. I guess the car is trying to show me who's boss, as if there were ever any question.

599_GTO likes this.
  10. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Go to the local craft store, Hobby Lobby or Michaels etc.. and look in their DIY jewelry section, you will find rolls of 'Silver', Chrome or Polished Aluminum wire. If you have the broken piece take it in and find the correct gauge. Cut it and glue it in. That is how I solved my problem.

Cheers!

11. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    I had the same issue. I fixed it by creating aluminium tubes at an alloy company. I sold quiet a lot to some Ferrari dealers!

I still have some tubes, so if you are interested please send me a message

Verstuurd vanaf mijn J9210 met Tapatalk

bay likes this.
  12. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Rex71, bay and crinoid like this.
  13. scottmc

scottmc Rookie

Aug 16, 2020
    sunnyvale, ca