360 - 360 Engine Overheated and Destroyed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 360 Engine Overheated and Destroyed

Discussion in '360/430' started by Extreme1, Mar 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Oh yes, Winter. That means it is just a little less hot where I am. Never, ever use a heater so never thought about that.

2. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Forgot about that as heaters are rarely used where I am. Winter means not quite as hot.

3. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    You cause much more engine wear by letting the car warm up at idle vs. just driving it and keeping RPMs low. The engine gets up to temp much more quickly when under load.

Why anyone would idle a car for 5 minutes before driving (let alone 30) is beyond me.

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

understood.
    what im saying is that there IS a benefit of letting it idling for like 30 min before driving, as stated in my last post.
    Although its agreed that the benefit is overwelmed by detriments

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    When any engine is ticking over too long from cold it blows past the rings and takes the oil off the liner surface. As the engine loads up the gas pressure gets behind the rings and helps to seal the blowpast. The initial springing off the rings gives a part seal and then the gas pressure kicks in behind the ring

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    How does that happen when a well designed engine has a vacuum in the crankcase?

And pressure behind the rings makes them stop doing their job? .

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    On big diesels we rely on the gas pressure pressing the ring on the liner, especially the top ring, as the pressure acts on the back of the ring. Similar principle.
    When we start to get too much clearance between the side of the ring and the ring groove on the piston we lose some of this gas pressure and start getting blow past. These rings are 900 mm diameter and probably 40x40 mm section- the spring in the ring is not going to give a seal so the gas pressure does the job. I tried walking up the stairs with 2 over my shoulder once, did not make it as too heavy.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Don't give a crap about diesels. For all I know its a piston port.

On gas engines they worked for a long time to get vacuum in the crankcase to make the rings work.. Dry sump motors do it inherently All others use manifold vacuum to do it. Rings with pressure on both sides just don't work. With low tension rings which virtually all gas engines now have its the only way they work. That does not apply to coal burners.

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    They only have gas pressure on one side, coal burners - nice one